RamWraith is offline Registered User

Sander gets booted; team keeps Chillar

By Jim Thomas
    ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
    Saturday, Apr. 21 2007

Punter B.J. Sander's tenure with the Rams was a short one. Two days after the
    Miami Dolphins announced that they would not match the Rams' offer sheet on
    restricted free agent Donnie Jones, the Rams released Sander on Friday.

Sander signed a one-year deal with the Rams on March 5 while the team was in a
    negotiating stalemate with unrestricted free agent Matt Turk. But the Rams now
    are committed to Jones as their punter, by virtue of the five-year, $5.59
    million contract he signed with the team. Cutting Sander gives him a chance to
    catch on with another team.

While releasing Sander, the Rams have agreed to terms with former University of
    Miami (Fla.) punter Fred Capshaw. Capshaw was among five street free-agent
    punters brought in for tryouts March 19 at Rams Park. He will serve as the
    so-called "camp leg" in training camp, backing up Jones.

Chillar update

The deadline came and went Friday without linebacker Brandon Chillar getting an
    offer from another team as a restricted free agent. That means the Rams have
    exclusive rights to Chillar, who is expected to sign his one-year $850,000
    tender offer from the team soon. Chillar has been a regular at the Rams'
    offseason conditioning workouts.

Ram-blings

The free-agent contract signed earlier this month by cornerback Lenny Walls is
    a one-year, $635,000 deal, which includes a $40,000 signing bonus. ...
    Unrestricted free agent Brandon Green, who started six games at defensive end
    for the Rams over the past two seasons, met Thursday with the Seattle Seahawks.

Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Re: Sander gets booted; team keeps Chillar

You have no Idea how glad I am that Chillar has been showing commitment to this organisation. A desire to improve and obviously one to retain his starting spot. This shows good charracter, and to be honest, it wouldn't bother me if he earnt a starting spot with a displayed improvement in his play during camp and the preseason.

RamsSB99 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Bar-bq View Post
    You have no Idea how glad I am that Chillar has been showing commitment to this organisation. A desire to improve and obviously one to retain his starting spot. This shows good charracter, and to be honest, it wouldn't bother me if he earnt a starting spot with a displayed improvement in his play during camp and the preseason.
    I have never been impressed with his past play. However I agree with your post a 100%. I don't think his past performance was lack of effort as much as it was lack of knowledge of the system, he was not reading and reacting as quickly, and I don't think he was most physically gifted. With all that said I hope he starts feeling more comfortable about the system, starts reading and reacting quicker, and continues to try to improve himself physically.

keith m. klink Guest

i like the kid's heart , that is something unteachable . i like the kid , and i hope that he shows a much improved game , and end's up as a long term rams player .

Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User

The only thing I wonder about is if the Rams should've signed him to a long term contract now (at a discounted rate), rather than later, should he blossom into a very solid player.

Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by Fortuninerhater View Post
    The only thing I wonder about is if the Rams should've signed him to a long term contract now (at a discounted rate), rather than later, should he blossom into a very solid player.
    But what of his play is indicative of a 'blossom' that warrants a new contract atm?
    The what if's are a mojor factor... put simply... what if he sucks? What happens to all the money tied up in him?

81~BIG-GAME is offline Registered User

Better to see if he developes his game to the next level before the FO makes a long term commitment to him IMO. Performances are what contracts are based on and in his time Chillar hasn't done enough yet to earn a major one. I do think he can improve, he has the heart and decent size and if he reacts quicker then he can become a better player. His play should also improve with experience..