Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Will51 is offline Registered User

Sandiego..... what do you think????

I truly believe we can beat the chargers but when it gets down to the nitty gritty , truth is we dont play well against teams with a 3-4 defense and the chargers have one of the best blitzing 3-4's in the game,how do you think we will match up?? If seattle beats minnesota this week then we must beat the chargers or we will fall to far behind....

RAMMAN68 is offline Registered User

Re: Sandiego..... what do you think????

Quote Originally Posted by Will51 View Post
    I truly believe we can beat the chargers but when it gets down to the nitty gritty , truth is we dont play well against teams with a 3-4 defense and the chargers have one of the best blitzing 3-4's in the game,how do you think we will match up?? If seattle beats minnesota this week then we must beat the chargers or we will fall to far behind....
    If the RAMS bring their A game then we will win. Let's just hope they come back healthy and well rested from the by week.
    JUST WIN ONE FOR THE FANS

"HIT HARD, HIT FAST, AND HIT OFTEN"
    Adm. William "Bull" Halsey

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

This will be our biggest test of the season so far. Yeah, the Seattle game was big but they were missing some key personnel and we were at home. We played a great 1st half and then succumbed to the Seahawks in a very exciting 2nd half. This is a road game vs. one of the best teams in the AFC.
    After this game, whatever the outcome, I feel like we will have a better handle on where our Rams are and where they are going.

I agree i jus hope we are well rested and we absloutely need Brown back, other than that i hopin for a good one

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

San Diego is a very tough matchup for the Rams. They have one of the top front 7s in football, and put a lot of pressure on the QB. They are also tough against the run.

The Rams best best on offense is to use a quick passing game. Screens, slants and other three-step drop plays could work.

On offense, SD does a great job of protecting Phillip Rivers and, of course, there's LT. The Rams need to stop the run early and force Rivers to beat them.

The Rams will need some breaks to win this one.

RamOfDenmark is offline Registered User

Without a doubt our strongest opponent so far, I think they're much better than the Seahawks currently, besides it's on the road too this time. One of the reasons I have a least a little bit of hope for this game is the fact that we just seem to play to the level of the competition. We played at the same level as Denver & Seattle, and we stumbled all the way down to the Whiners/Cardinals level when we played them. We seem to be in every game, even the tough ones, but we also don't close the easier games, hopefully this time that could work in our favor and guys will raise their level of play to counter the Chargers, we'll certainly need that! We need more takeaways than giveaways to have a chance against the Chargers I think. They're a very very tough matchup, it may be the toughest game this year, or at least in the top 2 or 3. If we manage a win I would be ecstatic, but I can't expect it - playing well enough to make it close and barely losing wouldn't be entirely unacceptable against this caliber of team IMHO.

jjigga3000 is offline Registered User

This game is going to be harder for Diege than most people think. Diego has not played anyone with a great Offense. Niether have they faced any great D's except for the Ravens they lost that game.

My point, the Rams are going to pose a lot of problems for Diego. If we can establish the run which I beleive we can, cuase we have the best O line of the teams they've played so far. That will make their suspect secondary vunerable.
    As far as us on Defense we gone have to buckle down.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

I hate to be Negative Nancy on this one, but the best we can hope for is to come out healthy. San Diego looks like a team created in the factory of the "Best Way to Beat the Rams" Corporation. A 3-4, precision blitzing, stout run D, stingy O line, passing game centered on the TE......this game is tailor made for us taking a big fat "L".
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    I hate to be Negative Nancy on this one, but the best we can hope for is to come out healthy. San Diego looks like a team created in the factory of the "Best Way to Beat the Rams" Corporation. A 3-4, precision blitzing, stout run D, stingy O line, passing game centered on the TE......this game is tailor made for us taking a big fat "L".
    I tend to agree. I'll be cheering the Rams on until the final seconds tick off the fourth quarter clock, but I really do not like this match-up for the Rams especially if Pace can't get healthy or out of whatever funk he's in.

I would not at all be shocked to see Shawne Merriman give an encore performance of his season opener and get three sacks by himself. I just don't think the Rams see enough 3-4 teams to be very good at defending them up front, and this one may be the best out there right now IMO. Jamal Williams is the best nose tackle in the league IMO, and will command a double team from Richie and either Timmerman or Steussie.

That leaves three men for their two ends. Castillo is a pretty underrated DE at that, but their other starting end is out for three weeks and sounds like he's going to miss this game. I believe it's Olshansky who would be lining up on the left side, so that should work to our advantage. We'll need all the breaks we can, because we'll also have to protect against whomever they bring from the LB corps. Just don't like this a lot.

As Av said, we're going to have to get the ball out quickly with some quick drops and high success pass attempts. Look at what the Chargers did to the Raiders on their seven step drops. Yes, Oakland has a horrible line, but our's isn't exactly elite. Minimize the pass rush by getting the ball out of there quick, and take advantage of their aggressiveness with some screens. Heck, I'd mix in some receiver or tight end screens as well just for variety.

As for stopping LT, easier said than done. I hope we'll be able to contain him. Stopping him would be amazing but I'm not holding my breath. Hopefully at this time we'll be back at full strength and can take advantage of some blitz packages to try and get Rivers out of his comfort zone. Even so, he's been playing very good football this season so I wouldn't overlook his ability to make adjustments and hot reads to counter us.

If there's a weakness on the offensive line, it's that left tackle position. It's not a weakness because he's been playing bad football, quite the contrary. McNeill was named AFC Offensive Rookie of the Month. But inexperience could provide an opening for us to make some critical plays on that side by either bringing extra pressure or stunting to try and free someone up.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

San Diego's weakness last year was the secondary....If that still holds true the 3 step drop, quick hitters could drive the Chargers crazy. Then if the quick hits work it's only a matter of time before they start creeping up and become vulnerable to the deep passes. I've got my fingers, legs & eyes crossed for this one.

RAMFANRAIDERHATER is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    Couldn't agree more. As much as I hate to say it, I don't see how we can win this game, other than just having our best game of the season, while they have one of their poorer games. Of course, that can happen, and lord knows, I'm hoping that's exactly what happens, 'cuz I'll be in attendence to watch it all unfold. But I would be willing to bet that if the Rams played them 10 times, they'd win 9 of them. I believe the Chargers are the best team in the NFL, right now. The only thing that will hold them back from a Superbowl appearance will be injuries and/or Marty ball.

That being said, I would say the same thing about Denver today. If we had them on the schedule in two weeks instead of the Chargers, forgetting what happened in week one against them, I'd say we had little chance of beating them. They're defense is way too strong for us. BUT, how could anyone predict that we'd get a zillion turnovers and have first and goal as many times as we did? You can't. Is there a chance on that scenario happening everytime we played them? No. Can we count on those turnovers? Again, no. We can only hope that we play without mistakes and capitalize on any they may make, 'cuz if they bring their "A" game, we better bring "A++", or it'll be a long day in San Diego. (which, by the way, ain't a bad thing in itself) They're a better team then the Rams, plain and simple.
    Faithful Rams fan since 1968

general counsel is offline Registered User

Personally, i think we are going to get bombed. If we get behind in this one, they will run the ball 200 times in a row and just grind us into the dust. That is if they are not play action faking and killing us deep down the middle with gates.

I see us having major major issues running the ball against them, setting up a plethora of third and longs, leading bulger to feel as if he is hanging out in a bad neighborhood in iraq. He will be under seige all day long and like others have expressed, i really hope there are no injuries in this one.

I had this one down as a loss when i first looked at the sked, and this is one time where believe me i hope i am wrong, but its just an awful matchup for us, plus its a road game.

I think we need to win one of the three road games coming up (sd, seattle and carolina) and i dont think this is going to be the one. I will also say that the home game vs kc is a must win, as are the games against oakland, sf and arizona, probably washington as well.

At the end of the day, my prediction is that if we win that last game of the year vs. minny, we are in the playoffs.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by jjigga3000 View Post
    Diego has not played anyone with a great Offense. Niether have they faced any great D's except for the Ravens they lost that game.
    This is a valid point IMO. The teams they have beat have a combined record of 4-17, so they are not exactly battle tested. Yes they look great on paper and have some serious margins of victory, but they are not necessarily a slam-dunk proven powerhouse.

Are they really as good as advertised? We'll see, but like Chicago they just might have some vulnerability and we may be able to catch them off guard. If we can create a few breaks for ourselves, we've got a shot.

i like the post that says "we play as well as our competition". this is very true, while we havent been able to put bad teams away, we havent been put away by good teams in which most predicted we would. The whole key to this game is will witherspoon. He has to play a game like he did vs seattle and he will be matched up with gates all day in which i think he will win some of these matchups. I can see him giving tomlinson problems because i dont think there is a back in the league that can completely run away from #51 and he is a sure tackler. We can win this and if all else fails, throw it up to toyr holt and hope like hell their corner plays the ball like travis fisher, lol but i really think we can win!!!!!!!!

ram3057 is offline Registered User

LT scored 4 touchdowns against the Whiners - he won't do this against the RAMS.

The RAMS sometimes have good games in So Cal. (Roots, maybe?)

Anyway, Rivers has been a surprise so far. Not too many rookie mistakes. You can just hope that time of possession favors the RAMS - right now, IMO, it appears as one way to stop the Chargers offense. That and getting to Rivers.

Defensive end Igor Olshansky is out for at least three weeks. They are playing at Kansas City this week; they may have more injuries before the RAMS get to San Diego.

It will be a good game.

Can the RAMS win? Stranger things have happened. (e.g. Cardinals losing the game last week, albeit to the best D in the league)
    Always a Rams Fan............

Rex Allen Markel

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast