Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Sando On DX

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Sando On DX

Around the NFC West: WR's health key

By Mike Sando | ESPN.com
    May 18, 2012

Danario Alexander has proved he can be a big-play receiver for the St. Louis Rams when healthy enough to get on the field.

Alexander played 41 percent of the offensive snaps last season, up from 19 percent as a rookie in 2010. He owns a healthy 16-yard average on his 46 receptions over the past two seasons. But he missed a five-game stretch in the middle of the season and is having some issues this offseason.

With bigger numbers at the position this offseason, Alexander could have a harder time earning a roster spot.

Tony Softli of 101ESPN St. Louis offers thoughts on Alexander as the Rams conduct organized team activities. Softli: "His multiple knee surgeries are well documented, but now soft-tissue injuries are creeping back into the picture -- and the Rams just started the offseason program. In order to impress the new regime of head coach Jeff Fisher, general manager Les Snead and offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer, the former Missouri Tiger must stay healthy, compete and put his full set of talents on display." Noted: This is a tough situation for Alexander. He has fought through serious injuries, enduring pain and disappointment. He is only 23 years old, but chronic injuries can worsen over time.

Ramblin` Ram is offline Registered User

Re: Sando On DX

it`s a travesty that someone like DX has to deal with this all the time,the constant and realistic fact that he could be one awkward fall from never playing again and then someone like Romanowski played for 16 years.
    ManofGod likes this.

general counsel is offline Registered User

I dont think he makes the team. There is no reason to believe that sudden health will descend on him. Its a sad story because of his talent, i just dont see any reason to suggest that he can stay on the field and he has no ability to play special teams. Personally, i would rather keep pettis.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

Quote Originally Posted by general counsel View Post
    I dont think he makes the team. There is no reason to believe that sudden health will descend on him. Its a sad story because of his talent, i just dont see any reason to suggest that he can stay on the field and he has no ability to play special teams. Personally, i would rather keep pettis.
    If he can get healthy and play the entire pre-season, I think there is a good chance he makes the team, even if it's just for the two games Pettis will be out on suspension. If that happens, and he stays healthy, who knows. He is just so talented, so explosive, with such enormous heart and drive, I would not be surprised to see Fisher take a chance on him. Staying away from injuries is obviously the key.

I love the guy. He is the embodiment of everything you look for in a football player. IMO, he's something rare and special, a survivor who keeps beating the odds.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
    I love the guy. He is the embodiment of everything you look for in a football player.
    Except one of the most important things you actually need to be one - good health.

Alexander is a great story of overcoming adversity to achieve your dreams, but I agree with GC. The likelihood of him ever being healthy enough to become a consistent weapon over an extended period of time in this league is slim to none, and "slim" is booking his summer vacation.
    RAMFANRAIDERHATER likes this.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Except one of the most important things you actually need to be one - good health.

Alexander is a great story of overcoming adversity to achieve your dreams, but I agree with GC. The likelihood of him ever being healthy enough to become a consistent weapon over an extended period of time in this league is slim to none, and "slim" is booking his summer vacation.
    It pains me to say so, but I agree. I've said this before, he's playing on borrowed time. That said, people have written him off time after time, year after year, but he keeps coming back from the dead. He's relentless. I still believe if he can stay healthy going into the regular season, he has a good chance to make the team.

SportsDude is offline Registered User

He should go get that german surgery Kobe had on his knees

Quote Originally Posted by BrokenWing View Post
    Also, craig dahl still sucks.

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
    It pains me to say so, but I agree. I've said this before, he's playing on borrowed time. That said, people have written him off time after time, year after year, but he keeps coming back from the dead. He's relentless. I still believe if he can stay healthy going into the regular season, he has a good chance to make the team.
    By all rights - last year he wasn't expected to make the team for the same reason - injuries. DX willed himself to play through the pain when he probably should have had yet another surgery. He is undoubtedly one very tough cookie. The question now, is how long his knee will hold up after an off season of rehab. The hammy thing likely isn't as serious as his knee issues. DX would never have been available to us if 31 other teams had not deemed him to be damaged goods. I'd say the odds are a lot tougher for him to make the team this year. The one wild card for him may be Pettis. Pettis' suspension (2 games I think?) may give him an opportunity to make the team for at least a couple of games - that's about it though unless Steve Smith falters badly which IMO is unlikely. If Denario can somehow overcome the heavy odds against him, it will have to rate as one of the best "feel good" stories in a while.

Quote Originally Posted by MauiRam View Post
    I'd say the odds are a lot tougher for him to make the team this year.
    I wouldn't argue with that, but then again, DX has a history of defying insurmountable odds. I'll be rooting for him to do it again.
    lostsoul likes this.

Ramendola16 is offline Registered User

Here's a thought: Would you rather have Pettis for 16 games, or DX for 10? Can Pettis bring enough to the table to outdo the big plays that Alexander is so noted for? Realistically, whoever has that last spot won't see much field. Which would you rather have in that limited time: A big play waiting to happen, or a posession guy?
    r8rh8rmike and Torry Holt like this.

San Diego Ram is offline Registered User

Pettis will play 12 because didn't he get caught with Preformance enhancing drugs. So it's a 2 game difference

general counsel is offline Registered User

Pettis is my answer, i dont care if its for less games. With dx, its not just how many games he can play, its how many plays he can play within the games. Also, the long term prognosis for dx is zero. Again, i like the guy a lot, its just not realistic to believe that there is any liklihood that he body can stand up to the rigors of the nfl. Big difference between this year and last year when you add quick and givens. DX has not exactly been hands of glue either. HE has certainly made some big plays, he has also had some big drops. Pettis showed a pulse last year and some real toughness, especially keeping in mind that the rookies had no OTA's, spring, etc.

Ramming speed to all

general counsel

Rambos is online now Registered User

I'm in the same camp as Ramendola16 on this... I'm not so sure we need DX to play 41 percent of the offensive snaps this season. We have four slot receivers in DA, Salas, Pettis and Smith. Quick and Givens are the only deep threats we have on the outside... DX does not need to have a ton of reps. I would like to see Quick, DX and Givens with DA in the slot on more then a few plays... per game.

I would not hate this line up
    Quick
    Givens
    Danny
    Salas
    Smith
    Dx

These three could be in a fight for a spot as they all bring the same thing to the table... Smith might bring more.

Pettis
    Gibby
    Smith

Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

If there's one thing I've learned about Danario Alexander, it's that whenever his name is mentioned, there's a LOT of discussion to be had. I'm going to go back to sitting on my fence now.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Game day roster spots are precious. We can't afford to carry a high risk player. Sorry DX but there's the door.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast