Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By Rambos

Thread: Sando: Fallout From Jarod Cook's Move To The Rams

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Sando: Fallout From Jarod Cook's Move To The Rams

Fallout from Jared Cook's move to the Rams

March, 20, 2013
    By Mike Sando | ESPN.com

PHOENIX -- The Tennessee Titans knew re-signing Jared Cook would be rough when the sides couldn't initially agree over a basic detail.

Should Cook be paid like a tight end or a wide receiver?

"And really, I didn't want to mess with it," Titans coach Mike Munchak said from the NFL owners meeting at the Arizona Biltmore resort.

And so the Titans, fearful Cook would challenge his classification as a tight end if the team named him its franchise player, watched one of their core young players sign with the St. Louis Rams for $7 million a season.

"I think what he got from the Rams was not far off from what we would have done with him if there was more patience involved," Munchak said, "but it worked out that way and it made sense for us not to tag him."

Such are the calculations teams sometimes have to make. The Titans suspected Cook might wait until deep into training camp before signing if the team named him its franchise player. They moved on from Cook to the San Francisco *****' Delanie Walker. Both are tight ends, but Walker is a different type of player.

"It's hard to find a tight end that is comfortable inserting on the back side blocking through the A gaps and B gaps, and then he can be out and run routes that way," Munchak said. "A lot of guys don't know how to do that. They run into guys and don't have a knack for it. They lose the receiver getting out, they can't get to the linebacker."

Walker can do those things.

The Titans envision becoming more like the ***** in how they run their offense.

Munchak, a Hall of Fame guard, said his teaching principles line up with the ones San Francisco advocates in utilizing Walker's versatility as a blocker on the back side of the formation. He thinks Walker and in-line tight end Craig Stevens can open up opportunities for running back Chris Johnson while making life easier on young quarterback Jake Locker.

"Since I've been the line coach there, when Chris Johnson has had his most success is when we've had a guy that can move and felt comfortable as that second tight end moving around and creating formations and opening up the defense," Munchak said. "[Walker] can line up in the slot, he can line up at tight end, he can line up in the backfield, he can start in the backfield and end up in the slot."

Walker did those things for the *****, especially since Jim Harbaugh and Greg Roman took over the offense before the 2011 season. One question in San Francisco is to what degree the offense might change without Walker, a player whose role was more significant than his receiving stats would ever indicate.

Cook, meanwhile, gives the Rams a speed element the team hopes will stretch opposing defenses.

"Jared has a chance to do special things," Munchak said, "but maybe this guy [Walker] ultimately does more for us. I'm sure the Rams are happy, we're happy and so maybe it was good for both of us."

TorontoRam is offline Registered User

Re: Sando: Fallout From Jarod Cook's Move To The Rams

If the Rams are banking on Cook filling in for DA I hope he's up to the. task. It does, IMHO, sound like Walker is a more versitile offensive weapon and perhaps a better blocker than Cook (Cook's rep as a blocking TE isn't stellar). I'm kind of resigned to the fact that at least for the next year or two, SF and Seattle are going to be the cream of the crop in their division. Since I'm more than willing to see the Rams put together a long-term plan for long-term success that in itself is not bothersome to me, unless the new FA signees don't perform and the Rams don't pick up a very good WR or two to help Bradford be more successful.

Rambos is offline Registered User

I see us going to the 12 personnel package a lot.

Fisher said yesterday:

Asked how Cook's arrival might affect incumbent tight end Lance Kendricks, Fisher said, "It only makes it better. We'll have them both on the field at the same time. That creates opportunities for us with the position and you can put the run game together and utilize both of them."
    Pat Kirwan wrote about how the Patriots have been using the two TE sets to create a match up edge.

The 12 personnel package is by no means a new idea. There are several benefits to the grouping, including keeping safeties off outside wide receivers and employing a power-run game against a nickel or dime defense.

However, the Patriots have taken things to a new level by finding a way to present all the problems of several other packages with their version of 12 personnel. Bill Belichick's vision for this dates back to the 2010 draft, when the Patriots selected Rob Gronkowski in the second round and Aaron Hernandez in the fourth.

Hernandez (Cook) is a hybrid-wide receiver type for the Patriots, and Gronkowski (Kendricksis) a legit in-line blocker with receiving skills. That combination gives New England the flexibility to spread both of them out to create a spread set, line them next to the tackles and create a balanced set with run options both ways or put one in the backfield and run a two-back lead or play-action pass. Basically, the Patriots can do whatever they want.

With the versatility they have out of 12 personnel, the Patriots can go no-huddle without making any substitutions and thus don't have to wait for the defense to make changes. That way, New England can keep a defense on the field in an unfavorable matchup.
    Here is a link to a great read and videos of what the Rams offense can do with two TE.

Two tight end formations will hit NFL by storm in 2012 - NFL.com
    Last edited by Rambos; -03-20-2013 at 05:15 PM.
    Nick, mde8352gorams and C-Mob 71 like this.

renrawtruk is offline Registered User

Great video and info about the 2 tight end sets/12 personnel. I really hope we incorporate this formation as a staple of our offense.