Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Sando: Good Points On Sam Bradford

Good Points On Sam Bradford

Dec 233:58PM
    By Mike Sando

ESPN analyst Trent Dilfer makes some interesting points regarding St. Louis Rams quarterback Sam Bradford and why the offense has bogged down in recent weeks.

Dilfer, speaking with Bob Stelton of 101ESPN St. Louis, says defenses have figured out Bradford and the Rams' offense, and that Bradford will need some time to adapt.

"It's a much steeper hill than people think," Dilfer said. "Teams start defending the quarterback instead of defending the offense. I have full confidence based on how much he has improved that he will figure it out, but it might not be this year. It's hard when teams take away your fastball. ... You have to adapt."

Keenum is offline Registered User

Re: Sando: Good Points On Sam Bradford

I agree. Rookies always tend to hit some kind of wall. I think that's where Bradford is at now. He's smart though, I know he'll get around that wall, but it's just going to take him some time.
    We can't get frustrated if he struggles at the end of this season... actually it should probably be expected. He's got the talent to still play well during this "transitional" phase, so you never know.

macrammer is online now Registered User

Yeah, the screen and roll outs worked early in the year but not so much now. This game Sunday will come down to Bradford executing much better then he has the past few weeks.

I think this has more to do with deficiencies in the offensive scheme and limitations at the skill positions than it does Bradford. QB's run the plays that are called for them. It's the offense opposing defenses have figured out and the fact that the WR's and TE's are not a threat. Shurmer needs to keep the whiners defense off balance and the players have to execute and stay away from drive killing penalties.

ramfan56 is offline Registered User

I have to agree with mike. Not all of this falls on Sam. Its the play calling on offense. Its how the rams are so what? Yes you got it right. Predictable.

MACD is offline Registered User

"It's a much steeper hill than people think," Dilfer said. "Teams start defending the quarterback instead of defending the offense.
    He would know...

macrammer is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
    I think this has more to do with deficiencies in the offensive scheme and limitations at the skill positions than it does Bradford. QB's run the plays that are called for them. It's the offense opposing defenses have figured out and the fact that the WR's and TE's are not a threat. Shurmer needs to keep the whiners defense off balance and the players have to execute and stay away from drive killing penalties.
    Don't get me wrong, i am huge Bradford fan. This is a combination of play calling AND lack of QB execution at this stage of the season. Bradford has had 4 weeks of below 70 passer rating. He over threw (horribly) at least on two occasions last Sunday, critical situations that would have kept drive alive.

Agreed coaching needs to keep Whiners off balance (something we are not good at) AND Bradford needs to deliver when opportunity is there.

C-Mob 71 is offline Registered User

I used to hate Dilfer, but I have learned to respect him over the past year. It helps when he is on radio vs tv, then you aren't constantly reminded how bad he was.

If you guys haven't listened to the interview, its a good one. Would link to it, but you can find it on 101espn .com on bob stelton's page.

Quote Originally Posted by MACD View Post
    He would know...
    It's funny, if you do a search for "Trent Dilfer is an idiot", the hits are almost endless. With good reason IMO. In fact, Dilfer and Sam Bradford are actually tied together from comments he made before the draft:

Dilfer told ESPN Radio in St. Louis that selecting Bradford would be a "catastrophic" mistake for the Rams and said that the Oklahoma product isn't even the best QB available in the draft.

"In my opinion, he's not even close to the best player in this draft," Dilfer said.

Dilfer, now an ESPN analyst, argued that Bradford hasn't faced enough aggressive defenses in college. Dilfer said Notre Dame's Jimmy Clausen is the most pro-ready and that Texas' Colt McCoy may end up being the best pro in the long run.
    I don't take much of what comes out of Dilfer's mouth seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by macrammer View Post
    Don't get me wrong, i am huge Bradford fan. This is a combination of play calling AND lack of QB execution at this stage of the season. Bradford has had 4 weeks of below 70 passer rating. He over threw (horribly) at least on two occasions last Sunday, critical situations that would have kept drive alive.

Agreed coaching needs to keep Whiners off balance (something we are not good at) AND Bradford needs to deliver when opportunity is there.
    Sam definitely has had some problems the last few weeks, but I think he really shows his mettle against the whiners, rises to the occasion and makes Dilfer eat his words.

Flippin' Ram is offline Registered User

Didn't Dilfer criticize Bradford for being a potential bust awhile back?
    Oh how I really wanna serve him some of this right now.

Gomotron is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by fliptalianstallion View Post
    Didn't Dilfer criticize Bradford for being a potential bust awhile back?
    Oh how I really wanna serve him some of this right now.
    True, but Dilfer also went on record admitting that he was off base in predicting how Bradford would do.

Quote Originally Posted by Gomotron View Post
    True, but Dilfer also went on record admitting that he was off base in predicting how Bradford would do.
    Only after Bradford proved him wrong in his first four games. Now it seems that Dilfer is once again ready to doubt his abilities as a rookie because of a few lackluster games. I'm guessing Bradford has Dilfer backtracking once again after Sunday.

Speaking of Dilfer backtracking, how is Clausen doing this year?

Bralidore(RAMMODE) is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
    Speaking of Dilfer backtracking, how is Clausen doing this year?
    Lol. I think Dilfer hopes desperately those words aren't asked of him...

Truth is offline Registered User

I think Sam will be fine. He's learned a lot this season. He'll need a good off-season to process most of what he's seen. I'm hoping he and his receivers (such as they are) stick around after the season to work on routes and timing.
    That's my story, and I'm sticking to it!!

TekeRam is offline Registered User

Bradford has never played more than 12 games or so in a season, and never had an NFL workload before either, little lone having an entire offense depending on pretty much him to carry it(sorry Jax). Sam had a much better team around him at college and now is hitting that rookie wall. I knew it would come, I just figured it'd have happened earlier and without us being in the playoff race.

No matter what happens over the next 8 days, this season has been a major success in my mind, and next year the Rams have some serious expectations that they'll have to deal with. With St. Louis being the only team with a rising QB situation(Hasselbeck is done, Smiths may or may not be there next year and I dunno who's going to QB Zona...), St. Louis should own the division next year. It's great to be a Rams fan!
    I believe!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast