Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Shan the Ram Man

Thread: Sando: Has Rams' Steven Jackson Lost A Step?

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Sando: Has Rams' Steven Jackson Lost A Step?

Has Rams' Steven Jackson lost a step?

May, 28, 2011
    By Mike Sando

Matt Williamson of Scouts Inc. has long been a huge Steven Jackson supporter.

In the past, Williamson has described Jackson as one of the very best players in the NFL. But in an Insider piece breaking down NFC West running back situations, Williamson says Jackson has "lost a step" and no longer qualifies as a top runner in the open field.

Jackson's long-term viability is definitely a concern based on the injuries he has incurred over the last couple seasons.

I thought the groin and finger injuries he suffered last season affected Jackson, including in the open field. He could not open up with a full stride as easily, at least earlier in the season, and the finger injury forced him to take precautions when falling or catching the ball.

Jackson, who turns 28 in July, also added muscle last season while returning from a back injury. He was already plenty powerful. Did the extra weight affect him negatively in any way?

"He struggles to run away from tacklers and break long runs," Williamson wrote. "And he just isn't as nifty as he once was. This sounds like I am a Jackson "Hater," which I am not. In fact, I think that the new offense being installed by Josh McDaniels could do Jackson a world of good, as could the maturation of Sam Bradford."

Williamson thinks the Rams must find a suitable backup for Jackson to spread the workload. Overall, he ranks the Rams' running back situation behind those of the San Francisco ***** and Arizona Cardinals. He calls Frank Gore the best running back in the NFC West despite injury concerns.

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Re: Sando: Has Rams' Steven Jackson Lost A Step?

That disgusts me. Frank Gore better than Jackson? Please...

It seems like SJ39 is always questioned. First off, he put on 9 lbs of muscle before last season so his back wouldn't mess up again. It was a precaution. He lost a step? He played through a groin injury (first game against Seattle he wore 3 pairs of compression shorts and a brace to make sure he wouldn't over extend), maybe that had something to do with him not being able to break out? Also, he played with screws in his finger, having to catch the ball with 1 hand several times and carry the ball in the wrong hand but having no choice. He is a consummate pro and is a terrific leader. He never complains and always runs hard. There isn't a better RB in the NFL and I will stand by that no questions asked.

He is a good blocker, a terrific pass catcher, and obviously a great runner. He gets 1,000 yards every year and never said a word with our few horrible years. How can someone possibly question him? I hope he gets a few more 1,000 yard seasons so he is welcomed into the HOF.

PLEASE RETIRE A RAM! SJ39!
    Last edited by sosa39rams; -05-28-2011 at 02:20 PM.

Richbert88 is offline Registered User

I completely disagree with Gore being ranked higher than Steven Rashad Jackson. I think it's a rediculous statement.

Steven has always made a supreme effort of be on the field helping his completely undermanned team. Ussually put up 330 or so carries, except for 07 and 08 where is number of carries were a normal Gore like. Gore averages about 240 a season with his injuries. The production number other than carries don't mean a whole lot to me, except in Fantasy Football, simply because Gore has been surrounded by better talent for the most part.

For overall skill and talent, I take SJ. Add in heart and leadership and it's a blowout for SJ.
    Semper Fi!

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Add me to the list that absolutely does not see Gore being better than Jackson, no way. Interesting that Gore gets a pass for injuries affecting his play, but Jackson does not. I can't wait to see a completely healthy Jackson working in the McDaniels offense. Once that happenes, I doubt we'll be having discussions like this one.

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

I guess that makes it 3-1. SJ will always be underrated, at least until we get an SB.

SLSG is offline Registered User

I wish SJax was 5 years younger so he could grow with this team. And yes, he's probably lost a half of a step. It happens.

Shan the Ram Man is offline Registered User

I think S. Jax is better than Gore. He is the best back in the NFC West.

I do think he has lost a half step. Wish he was more like EX Ram Bettis right now. I just wish he would stop trying to be M. Faulk doing studder steps and trying to juke players. He is just to big to be trying to do that. He just needs to pound the rock. Keep driving forwards not dancing around trying to get more yardage.
    live4ramin likes this.

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

I'm a UM alum, so I'm predisposed to favor Gore.

Steven Jackson is the better back.

sjacksonrules is online now Registered User

Has this guy watched steven play? Steven never has been the fastest guy in the league but always managed to get it done. Steven has 2 years in him at least and im talkin two good years he could probably play another 5 if he gets lucky. Stevens talent would of better served us now more than when we drafted him but I am not gonna complain one second because I loved watching his every move. Without this guy we would of had nothin to keep us going. Steven hasnt lost a step he will prove that this year barring injury.

Trevor is offline Registered User

I dread the day where Steven Jackson no longer plays for the Rams. He was the only bright side to our horrible team the last 3 years. If he wasn't on the team who knows what direction this team would take.