Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Sando: How Quickly Rams Can Win The NFC West

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Sando: How Quickly Rams Can Win The NFC West

How quickly Rams can win the NFC West

March, 21, 2013
    By Mike Sando | ESPN.com

Got a question during the latest NFC West chat asking whether I envisioned the St. Louis Rams winning the NFC West in the next three years.

It's going to be a challenge given the projected state of quarterback play elsewhere in the division, but as I said during the chat, there's a good chance the Rams will break through in the next few seasons.

ESPN's Chris Sprow has written about this very subject at length. His latest piece for Insider Insider expands upon a subject we've discussed quite a bit lately: the impact cheap labor at quarterback can have on a team's ability to build a roster.

The San Francisco ***** and Seattle Seahawks are benefiting from having low-cost quarterbacks playing at a high level. The Rams are not benefiting from that dynamic, but their 2012 trade with the Washington Redskins will give them cheap labor for years to come -- all part of a plan to build with young talent.

The Rams have 17 total players at quarterback, running back, wide receiver and tight end. Those players average 24.5 years old (24.4 median). Backup tight end Matthew Mulligan, 28, is the only one age 26 or older.

"No team is bound to improve more over the next few seasons than the Rams," Sprow writes. "If Fisher is right, they'll get improvements from a deep 2012 rookie class in 2013, then a good 2013 rookie class in 2014, and another good 2014 rookie class in 2015."

Most of those players remain unproven and that can be scary for fans.

I sensed excitement, not trepidation, from the Rams' leadership during my interactions with coach Jeff Fisher, general manager Les Snead and chief operating officer Kevin Demoff during the recently concluded NFL owners meeting. They are stocking the roster with young talent. We'll find out over the next couple seasons whether they've stocked wisely.

Rambos is online now Registered User

Re: Sando: How Quickly Rams Can Win The NFC West

Backup tight end Matthew Mulligan was cut today so we just got younger.

It's going to be a challenge given the projected state of quarterback play elsewhere in the division, but as I said during the chat, there's a good chance the Rams will break through in the next few seasons.
    There is no chance either of these young QBs take a step back this year right?

RAMFANRAIDERHATER is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    Backup tight end Matthew Mulligan was cut today so we just got younger.

There is no chance either of these young QBs take a step back this year right?
    I seem to remember people saying that about the Rams and Bradford after his rookie year. The Rams were going to be the team to beat in the near future because at the time, only the Rams had a franchise QB.

Boy, how quickly things change. Now the Rams are being questioned as being the weak sister at the QB position (with the exception of the Cardinals, or course)
    Faithful Rams fan since 1968

fearsome foursome is offline Registered User

I read somewhere that Wilsons contract with the Squawks is less than a million dollars in his last contract year. As soon as Wilson and Kapernik run out of there rookie contracts then the Rams should have the advantage. For the time being the Rams are paying a lot more for their QB than the Squawks and Whiners.

DE_Ramfan is offline Registered User

In all fairness, neither Kaepernickle or Wilson are going to have to deal with a lockout, system change, and severe lack of talent at the WR position this coming season.

Rammed is offline Registered User

Second starting year is always hard on any QB. But I think it's even harder when they dumbed down your system (RGIII) or a system around your running threat (Kaep). While I hold Luck and Wilson in a different regard because the systems they play, I see them also having these troubles.

The reason for this is defense has seen your play and tricks, coordinators will plan accordingly. This makes for different schemes accros from you, hidden looks and disguised blitzes. Which means you'll have to go through your reads, you are forced too. That takes more time especially early in the career and in general is considered the hardest partof QBplay. This time you can't give a defense that gameplanned specially for you.

Now if you rely on a special threat I think this becomes even a bigger concern. Because what bailed you out in year one usually isn't there. We have seen that even in season there where defenses who could counter these QB running threats. Our Rams for one and you can be sure that those games will be watched.

Prime example for all of this is Cam Newton. Due to the new crop of exciting QBs he got shoved under the rug. But he was the new breed and sensation, unstoppable running threat, a force. We all can see what happened in year two. He lost the edge on defense and his coaches knew this because they spend an offseason making him more "conventional". This came with a new scheme which relied more on his arm and progression through his reads. He had a very hard time this season, he still can run, he still is a threat but his safetyblanket/bail out wasn't there as much. He did however get better or more efficient in almost every category other than rushing TDs. Yet dare I use the word .....the hype wasn't there anymore.
    Last edited by Rammed; -03-23-2013 at 04:28 AM.

macrammer is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by DE_Ramfan View Post
    In all fairness, neither Kaepernickle or Wilson are going to have to deal with a lockout, system change, and severe lack of talent at the WR position this coming season.
    Very true.....and neither of those guys were the number one pick in the draft either.

Ram Dragoon is online now Registered User

I think the Rams are a lot closure to capturing the division then a couple years out...actually thinking this season the Rams have a real shot at it...the defense is strong with only a few tweaks needed....Rams are making real progress with the offense...It will come down to the draft and perhaps a few pickups after the draft and pre-season.

Its almost a forgone certainty the 49whinners and Seagulls are not looking forward to playing the Rams

TorontoRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Dragoon View Post
    I think the Rams are a lot closure to capturing the division then a couple years out...actually thinking this season the Rams have a real shot at it...the defense is strong with only a few tweaks needed....Rams are making real progress with the offense...It will come down to the draft and perhaps a few pickups after the draft and pre-season.
    Its almost a forgone certainty the 49whinners and Seagulls are not looking forward to playing the Rams
    The Rams caught lightening in a bottle last season when they played the Seahawks and the Niners, but that's not going to happen this season. While DCs have had a chance to see and plan for Wilson and Kaepernick the Seahawks and the Niners OCs have had a chance to see and plan for the Rams defense. I'm a Rams fan but also a realist. They are at least two years and maybe three years from being a contender, unless of course the Seahawks and Niners have some big-time injuries on their teams. If, at the end of the day, I'm wrong I'll be happy about that.

Quote Originally Posted by TorontoRam View Post
    The Rams caught lightening in a bottle last season when they played the Seahawks and the Niners, but that's not going to happen this season. While DCs have had a chance to see and plan for Wilson and Kaepernick the Seahawks and the Niners OCs have had a chance to see and plan for the Rams defense. I'm a Rams fan but also a realist. They are at least two years and maybe three years from being a contender, unless of course the Seahawks and Niners have some big-time injuries on their teams. If, at the end of the day, I'm wrong I'll be happy about that.
    lightening in a bottle? If any teams found lightening in a bottle how can you not think it was from two teams that got elite play out of two unknown QBs.

I have never heard it said that teams will figure out what a defense is doing, that one actually made me laugh out loud. All the teams in NFL are trying to figure out how to stop the option and the pistol and you think the 9ers and hawks will be looking at our defense and change what they did against us, I think you have that one backwards.

It make take us two more years but it would not be shocking to see us make the playoffs next year. We where one second away from getting that FG off in time to beat the 9ers twice and the Hawks where given a win they should not have had against the Packers.

While both of those teams load up for the kill the fact is one is going to fail, maybe they both cone up short.

I can't wait!
    VegasRam likes this.

lightening in a bottle? If any teams found lightening in a bottle how can you not think it was from two teams that got elite play out of two unknown QBs.
    I have never heard it said that teams will figure out what a defense is doing, that one actually made me laugh out loud. All the teams in NFL are trying to figure out how to stop the option and the pistol and you think the 9ers and hawks will be looking at our defense and change what they did against us, I think you have that one backwards.
    It make take us two more years but it would not be shocking to see us make the playoffs next year. We where one second away from getting that FG off in time to beat the 9ers twice and the Hawks where given a win they should not have had against the Packers.
    While both of those teams load up for the kill the fact is one is going to fail, maybe they both cone up short.
    I can't wait!
    Your replies often sound like lectures as opposed to your opinion. I'm reminded of a few folks that I know who 'may be wrong but are never in doubt,' which usually means that they're often wrong but can't admit it. BTW, OCs do plan for certain defenses, including their strengths; indiviudual player deficiencies; defensive tendencies, so I'm glad my comment made you laugh out loud. Save your breath, because I'll continue posting my impressions; avoiding snarky comments about other posters including laughing out loud at them; and generally being a positive contributor to this board. If that makes you laugh I'm glad, because I don't get the impression that your persona is particularly jocular most of the time, at least from first impressions (an avatar is worth a 1000 words). Anyway, have a wonderful day!
    Last edited by TorontoRam; -03-24-2013 at 04:46 PM.

FestusRam is offline Registered User

I'm reminded of a few folks that I know who 'may be wrong but are never in doubt,' which usually means that they're often wrong but can't admit it.
    Hmm. Sounds a lot like the guy who originally posted this quote.

FestusRam is offline Registered User

The Rams caught lightening in a bottle last season when they played the Seahawks and the Niners, but that's not going to happen this season.
    How do you figure?

We beat the ***** once, and tied them once.

We beat the seahawks once, and had a close loss the 2nd time around.

Thats a combined record of 2-1-1. To me, if you're a realist, you see this as a winning record and a big enough sample size to prove they can compete against both teams.

I can't wait!
    The Rams caught lightening in a bottle last season when they played the Seahawks and the Niners, but that's not going to happen this season.
    Sounds like you are stating a fact. You don't say, I don't think this will happen this year. You say "that's not going to happen this season." So I ask who is lecturing here?

I will put a smiley face as my as avatar if it makes you feel better... not.
    FestusRam likes this.

Sounds like you are stating a fact. You don't say, I don't think this will happen this year. You say "that's not going to happen this season." So I ask who is lecturing here?
    I will put a smiley face as my as avatar if it makes you feel better... not.
    Should be an interesting regular-season when the games, threads, and the comments count, eh! Looking forward to having some dialogues at that point. In the meantime, have a great off-season. Love the 'hat.' It makes you look a lot less ominous.
    Rambos likes this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast