Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By NJ Ramsfan1

Thread: Sando: A look at Jake Long's contract with Rams

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Sando: A look at Jake Long's contract with Rams

A look at Jake Long's contract with Rams
    March, 25, 2013
    By Mike Sando | ESPN.com

The numbers for Jake Long's new contract with the St. Louis Rams are on file with the NFL and NFL Players Association, allowing for verification of particulars.

A few things to know:

General terms: This is a four-year, $34 million deal with an $8.5 million average.

Guaranteed money: Long gets up to $16 million guaranteed. Wait, if it's guaranteed, why are the words "up to" necessary? Because some guarantees are conditional. In this case, it's pretty safe to say $16 million is guaranteed. Long gets a $5 million signing bonus. That is fully guaranteed. His $3 million base salary for 2013 is also fully guaranteed. The Rams guaranteed $8 million in base salary for 2014 as well. The full 2014 base salary is guaranteed if Long is healthy. Half of the $8 million is guaranteed if Long is injured. The remaining $4 million is guaranteed regardless if Long is on the Rams' roster on the final day of the 2013 league year.

Incentives: Long can earn another $375,000 per year in incentives based on playing time and playoff appearances or Pro Bowl honors.

Cap charges: Long's deal counts only $4.25 million against the cap this year. The cap charges rise to $9.25 million (2014), $10.5 million (2015) and $10 million (2016).

Flexibility: The Rams could get out of this deal comfortably after the second season. The team of course hopes Long plays all four seasons at a high level. However, the relatively small signing bonus gives the Rams flexibility down the line. Long's deal would count $2.4 million against the cap in 2015 if the team released him after two seasons. That would be an insignificant amount of dead money for a starting left tackle with a Pro Bowl pedigree.

The verdict: This looks like a good deal from the Rams' perspective. They stayed disciplined in negotiating the contract. They even let Long leave their facility after three days of meetings in St. Louis. That was risky because they could have lost a player they wanted, but they still got their man, and they did it with what amounts to a two-year bet. If Long were to suffer a catastrophic injury this season, the Rams would be on the hook for $7.6 million in cap charges beyond 2013, but they're on the hook for $3.6 million of that in the form of bonus proration, anyway. That seems like a risk the Rams can afford to take because they will have so many young players under rookie contracts as the seasons progress.

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

Re: Sando: A look at Jake Long's contract with Rams

Success is achieved through sound decision making and a willingness to take chances from time to time. A team doesn't become a champion by playing it cheap and living in fear of what MIGHT happen in the future. Congratulations to the Rams for making what appears to be an excellent decision to bolster a unit in need of a boost.
    Rambos and mde8352gorams like this.

Rambos is online now Registered User

Funny how the fins try and spin it the other way.

Contract Breakdown: St. Louis Rams betting on Jake Long staying healthy for next 3 years
    by Ben Volin

The numbers are in on Jake Long’s contract with the St. Louis Rams, which he officially signed on Friday. And the Rams are definitely betting that Long, who has suffered shoulder, knee, biceps, triceps and back injuries in his five years with the Dolphins, will stay healthy and productive over the next three seasons.

Here’s the full breakdown:

LONG

Years: 4
    Total value: $34 million
    Total guarantee: $20 million
    Signing bonus: $5 million
    Workout bonus: None

2013 salary: $3 million (fully guaranteed)
    2014 salary: $8 million (fully guaranteed)
    2015 salary: $9.25 million ($4 million fully guaranteed)
    2016 salary: $8.75 million (no guarantee)

2013 salary cap number: $4.25 million
    2014 salary cap number: $9.25 million
    2015 salary cap number: $10.5 million
    2016 salary cap number: $10 million

* Long also has performance escalators in the last two years of his contract.

COMMENT

Frankly, this is a great deal for Long. Dolphins fans believe that his play has suffered in the last year or two as the injuries have accumulated, but the Rams obviously don’t think so. He gets $16 million guaranteed in his first two years, and he’ll get another $4 million if the Rams decide to part ways with him before Year 3. Long’s 2013 cap number gives the Rams some flexibility this year, but that $8 million guarantee for 2014 means the Rams are really betting on him staying healthy and elite for at least two seasons.

Rams coach Jeff Fisher told us last week at the NFL owners meetings that the Rams put Long through a series of medical tests to make sure he checked out.

“It was not an easy thing, to put that big body in an MRI tube and MRI six body parts,” Fisher said. “It’s not a fun deal, but he knew it and he handled it and when it was done he was happy. It was like finishing for a game for him, physically.”

But Fisher said Long passed every test.

“Jake’s going to get back to where he was — I know that and he knows that,” Fisher said. Quarterback Sam Bradford “is going to feel very comfortable with his back to Jake.”

As for the Dolphins, it’s hard to blame them for not matching this contract. They’ve seen first-hand over the past five years how having an elite left tackle who chews up a lot of the salary cap does not always translate to wins. But they still do have a big hole on their offensive line, and as we mentioned this morning, their options are dwindling.

Noteworthy: A league source tells us this morning that the Dolphins are still in the mix for CB Brent Grimes, along with a couple of other teams. The Dolphins’ activity in free agency has slowed a bit after an exciting first week, but they’re definitely not done making moves.
    Now they will have an elite WR chewing up a lot of the salary and cap and no elite LT to protect. Lets see how that works out.

Contract Breakdown: Miami Dolphins go ‘all-in’ on WR Mike Wallace
    by Post Staff

The Dolphins’ front-office has been careful about spending its cap dollars over the last two offseasons, spurning the big-money free agents and signing several players at reasonable rates, such as Brian Hartline, Cameron Wake, Matt Moore, Reggie Bush and Richard Marshall.

But with receiver Mike Wallace, the Dolphins have pushed all of their poker chips into the middle of the table.

A copy of the contract received by the Post reveals a monster deal for the speedy 26-year-old receiver: It’s a five-year, $60 million deal, as previously reported, but in practical terms it’s a two-year, $30 million deal, for an average of $15 million per season.

The details of the contract have some pretty eye-popping numbers, including his base salary in 2014. A full breakdown:

MIKE WALLACE

Signing bonus: $11 million
    Workout bonuses: $50,000 each for all five years
    Guarantee: $27 million up front, could be as much as $30 million

2013 base salary: $1 million (fully guaranteed)
    2014 base salary: $15 million (fully guaranteed)
    2015 base salary: $9.85 million ($3 million guaranteed for injury; $3m becomes fully guaranteed if Wallace is on the Dolphins’ roster for the fifth day of the 2014 league year)
    2016 base salary: $11.45 million (not guaranteed)
    2017 base salary: $11.45 million (not guaranteed)

2013 salary cap number: $3.25 million
    2014 salary cap number: $17.25 million
    2015 salary cap number: $12.1 million (if on the team)
    2016 salary cap number: $13.7 million
    2017 salary cap number: $13.7 million

Observations

* How is it a two-year, $30 million deal in practical terms? The signing bonus of $11 million and the first two base salaries of $1 million and $15 million are fully guaranteed. So at the very least, Wallace will get $27 million even if he only plays one season.

But the Dolphins wouldn’t cut Wallace after one year and $27 million. Assuming he’s still on the team by the fifth day of the 2014 league year — sometime around next March 15 — then $3 million of his 2015 salary becomes guaranteed. So 11 + 1 + 15 + 3 = $30 million guaranteed, assuming he doesn’t get cut after one year.

But Wallace still has to make the team in 2015 to get the rest of his $6.85 million base salary. It’s possible that the Dolphins would restructure his contract before then, too.

* The Dolphins are putting some big cap numbers into 2014: Wallace’s $17.25 cap number is monstrous.
    Frankly, this is a great deal Wallace!
    Last edited by Rambos; -03-25-2013 at 04:53 PM.

TorontoRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by NJ Ramsfan1 View Post
    Success is achieved through sound decision making and a willingness to take chances from time to time. A team doesn't become a champion by playing it cheap and living in fear of what MIGHT happen in the future. Congratulations to the Rams for making what appears to be an excellent decision to bolster a unit in need of a boost.
    Perhaps this is a good deal, so I for one don't want to jump to conclusions. However, I'm not so sure that the Rams couldn't find a future PB O-Line player in this year's or next year's Draft. In which case, they've traded a short-term gain, potentially, for a long-term gain. Not so sure that's a great idea, but time will tell.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus
    Quote Originally Posted by TorontoRam

Perhaps this is a good deal, so I for one don't want to jump to conclusions. However, I'm not so sure that the Rams couldn't find a future PB O-Line player in this year's or next year's Draft. In which case, they've traded a short-term gain, potentially, for a long-term gain. Not so sure that's a great idea, but time will tell.
    How is Jake Long a short term prospect? He's 27.

He's a short term prospect, because if one looks at his deal the Rams have given themselves an 'out clause,' and because his numbers have diminished over the last couple of year of his career. I hope that helps, but if it doesn't you're welcome to respectfully disagree with me. Age doesn't matter. Performance does matter.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus
    Quote Originally Posted by TorontoRam
    He's a short term prospect, because if one looks at his deal the Rams have given themselves an 'out clause,' and because his numbers have diminished over the last couple of year of his career. I hope that helps, but if it doesn't you're welcome to respectfully disagree with me. Age doesn't matter. Performance does matter.
    If he's healthy, which the Rams seem to believe he is after an extensive physical, then he's a long term prospect (and a perennial Pro Bowl player). The out clause is a "just in case" provision.

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    If he's healthy, which the Rams seem to believe he is after an extensive physical, then he's a long term prospect (and a perennial Pro Bowl player). The out clause is a "just in case" provision.
    He's had four pro-bowl appearances, which is very impressive for a left-tackle. However, he's struggled with injuries the last two seasons. The physicians have declared him health, so we'll have to see. So, the 'out clause' is very important and not a 'just in case,' scenario if I may be so bold as to disagree with you on that point.

berg8309 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by TorontoRam View Post
    If age doesn't matter than why do we need to go through the draft? Also, if finding a solution at LT is so easy, how come we constantly fail at it? Granted under previous regimes, not this one, but it isn't exactly easy to find an every day LT, otherwise everyone would have one. I dislike the idea of "Oh we can always just snag one of them like in the 5th round or something" because it doesn't usually actually work that way. Good LTs are hard to find.

Is Long still a good LT? Maybe, he might have only struggled because of injuries. He is only 27, which is pretty young to have four pro bowls on your resume.

C-Mob 71 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by TorontoRam View Post
    I'm just curious, this is a bit off topic, but do you think the current regime has done anything positive at all? Is there anything they can do that could possibly get TorontoRam's stamp of approval? I mean I understand a bit of criticism is healthy, but dang man, is life in Canada so terrible that you can't see an iota of good in anything your favorite team does?

Back on topic, you believe we could have drafted a "long term" solution at left tackle in the draft, well who? By my limited knowledge, only three prospects have that "PB LT of the future" label: Joeckel, Fisher, and Johnson. IMO only Joeckel really fits that can't miss label.

Would you have rather have had them pour resources into manufacturing a trade up to number 1 to select Joeckel?

Maybe rest on our laurels and and hope Johnson falls to us at 16? How about trade up 5-6 spots to select Johnson- Johnson who by the way is a project player who has only played the position for 2 years?

Perhaps try to trade up to the top 5 for Eric Fisher, who was a mid to late 1st round pick at best until an outstanding Senior Bowl? Fisher, that prospect who could have very easily been this drafts 4th best OT had Taylor Lewan and Jake Matthews decided to declare?

Those were actually all rhetorical questions, because I have an eerie feeling no matter what the Rams did end up doing, you sure as hell wouldn't be pleased and have been able to find something wrong with what they did.

This is a pretty uncharacteristic rant for me, I mean it is a public fan forum after all, you can say whatever you want, but damn, try to see some of the good in life and in the Rams, you might find out you enjoy things just a little bit better!

(by the way, I reread the questions I proposed in Stewie from Family Guy's voice, it was amusing. Gotta nice little novel there eh Brian? A few plot twists? Nice little character development? Sorry I digress)