Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Sando: Three things for Rams-Titans

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Sando: Three things for Rams-Titans

Three things: Rams-Titans
    August, 20, 2011
    By Mike Sando

Three things to watch for in the St. Louis Rams' preseason game against the Tennessee Titans on Saturday night at 8 p.m. ET:

1. Three wide receivers: Not just any three. Mardy Gilyard, Danario Alexander and Donnie Avery are battling for what could be a single roster spot. Each offers something different to the offense. Each carries injury baggage. Gilyard's shiftiness and special-teams value sets him apart from the other two. Alexander has size on his side. Avery's pure speed and past production has some appeal. Gilyard had wrist surgery this offseason and has suffered from migraines in the past. Alexander has had five surgeries on his left knee. Avery is coming off a torn ACL that sidelined him last season. Avery's knee has required rest during training camp. Of the three, Avery was most impressive during practices late in the week.

2. Steven Jackson's debut. The Rams expect running back Steven Jackson to make his 2011 preseason debut. It's the first time we'll see Jackson working within the Rams' new offense in a game situation. The team rested Jackson to protect a sore hip during the week. Keeping him healthy is critical. The Rams expect Jackson to catch more passes out of the backfield this season. Jackson expects to have more options running on the perimeter. It's doubtful Jackson will play enough to explore all the offense offers him, but we should see a few glimpses.

3. Quinn off the edge. Rookie first-round draft choice Robert Quinn has gone through camp without attracting a great deal of attention. That is because the Rams are already set at defensive end with Chris Long and James Hall. Having Long and Hall in place allows Quinn to come along at a slower pace after sitting out his final season at North Carolina. The Rams have seen flashes of the pure pass-rush ability that led Mel Kiper Jr. to say Quinn could have been a No. 1 overall pick had the NCAA not ruled him ineligible last season. Quinn was active during his preseason debut. He should become increasingly comfortable after the long layoff.
    MauiRam likes this.

VegasRam is offline Ram MVP

Re: Sando: Three things for Rams-Titans

F.Y.'all'sI.
    NFL Network - 1:00 P.M. Monday, the 22nd.

(That's 1:00 P.M. PST).
    Last edited by VegasRam; -08-22-2011 at 02:40 PM.
    laram0 likes this.
    "the Heart Lies and the Head Plays Tricks with us, but the Eyes See True".

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Avery was drafted by Linehan? If so, he's in trouble.

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by laram0 View Post
    Avery was drafted by Linehan? If so, he's in trouble.
    I beg to differ .. I'm pretty sure Avery was drafted by Avenger Ram ..

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Three wide receivers: Not just any three. Mardy Gilyard, Danario Alexander and Donnie Avery are battling for what could be a single roster spot.
    Because of uncertainty and injury concerns, I still think the Rams will play it safe and carry 7 receivers. Regardless, I'm going to be upset that one or two of these guys will not make the team.

With Gibson now looking like a lock, Gilyard coming on, Avery and DX fighting through injury issues, the WR battle is even more intriguing than I ever expected. I'm really looking forward to the game tonight.

Azul e Oro is offline Registered User

1. WRs Certainly will be interesting to see Avery & Sam working together for the first time since last pre-season but I'm hoping McD also gives the young 'uns a good gallop, especially Pettis who needs to get back in the saddle after a rough outing last week.I hope Uh-Oh can get out there as well, if not Salas.

2. O-line. Much tougher test than Indy. Watch Jason Smith to see how he handles Morgan & the interior line in general; the Titans got bigger on the DL this year so it'll be interesting to see how The Rams do in the run game with their big dog in there.

3. LBs Is Lau really OK? Dunno if he'll play or not. Hull got some penetration & was OK in general but this is a much better running opponent. Ringer is no slouch & The Titans have a couple of newbies to watch, esp Harper who is a load at 230lbs or so. Good TE in Cook as well. Nice test for the OLBs and safeties there.

4. Pass defense in general. The Titans looked a little sloppy vs The Vikes but both QBs were pretty good. Hasselbeck was on the money until a botched handoff ruined a good drive. Locker is mobile, poised, and frighteningly Bradford-like. He fumbled a snap, coolly scooped it, and tossed a long TD bomb. Throws well on the run as well.

The Titans still take pre-season a lot more seriously than Indy. Could be time for the first Dahl brawl & I also expect a trick play or two, not to mention blitzes.
    live4ramin likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
    Because of uncertainty and injury concerns, I still think the Rams will play it safe and carry 7 receivers.
    I agree completely. After Amendola, Gibson, and the two rookies, the other roster candidates (Sims-Walker, Avery, Amendola, and Gilyard) all have injury histories. I'd like for them to keep seven just to protect themselves, especially if the offensive system will be incorporating more multiple receiver sets.

sosa39rams is online now Registered User

I hate to say it but I think the last roster spot (7th) will come down to Avery or Alexander. I just can no longer see us keeping so many non dependable players.

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by sosa39rams View Post
    I hate to say it but I think the last roster spot (7th) will come down to Avery or Alexander. I just can no longer see us keeping so many non dependable players.
    Is everyone convinced Gibby is a lock?

Even though Mardy has shown improvement, has he really shown enough for the Rams to keep 3 slot guys?

I do believe Amendola is a lock, and I think Salas will make the team as well - two guys who can man the slot effectively. If we need a 3rd slot guy, let's not forget J. Norwood's ability to contribute there.

If Sosa is correct, and it is a battle between Avery and DX, won't this be a gamble by the Rams as to which of the two will be able to answer the bell for an entire season? Any way you slice it, we are (on paper at least) way better off than last year ..

And yes, I fervently hope and pray we do keep 7 receivers this year. Don't teams get to keep 54 players this year, or is the 54th spot relegated to suiting up an extra emergency QB only?

sosa39rams is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by MauiRam View Post

Even though Mardy has shown improvement, has he really shown enough for the Rams to keep 3 slot guys?

I do believe Amendola is a lock, and I think Salas will make the team as well - two guys who can man the slot effectively. If we need a 3rd slot guy, let's not forget J. Norwood's ability to contribute there.

If Sosa is correct, and it is a battle between Avery and DX, won't this be a gamble by the Rams as to which of the two will be able to answer the bell for an entire season? Any way you slice it, we are (on paper at least) way better off than last year ..

And yes, I fervently hope and pray we do keep 7 receivers this year. Don't teams get to keep 54 players this year, or is the 54th spot relegated to suiting up an extra emergency QB only?
    If it was my choice, I'd keep Alexander and Avery and let go others. But after what happened last year, and the likleness of Alexander and Avery both getting injured again, its a big risk. Alexander will be lucky to finish his first full season. He will need rest and care constently. Avery has a higher chance of making it through a season though I dont think this will be the deciding factor. In the end, I hope they both make it.

MSW
    Amendola
    Salas
    Pettis
    Alexander
    Avery
    Gibson

Word is he's looked strong in camp. If we're ranking guys based on their likelihood to make the roster, I think he's second only to Amendola at this point.

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Word is he's looked strong in camp. If we're ranking guys based on their likelihood to make the roster, I think he's second only to Amendola at this point.
    That looks to be the case. Gibson finished the season strong last year, STAYS HEALTHY, is looking solid so far in preseason, gets a lot of kudos from Spags, and seems to have the confidence of Bradford. That's a strong indictment for Gibby being close to a lock.

mcpeepants232003 is offline Registered User

I think Alexander is gone. Have we ever had a week where he was not having knee trouble? Every single week he's been a Ram his knee has been weak, sore, injured or on. You just can't keep a guy who literally is a question mark to play every single game.

Plus it's not like he's that much more talented than Gilyard anyways. Gilyard also has special teams value. I just don't see anyway Alexander stays.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

I admit, I'm not terribly excited about the notion either, but he did finish the last half of 2010 with 41 catches and 459 yards. That's not going to make anyone confuse Gibson with Bruce or Holt, but if he can do for a whole season, that's decent production.
    Last edited by HUbison; -08-21-2011 at 08:59 AM.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

GROUND DOG 39 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by mcpeepants232003 View Post
    I think Alexander is gone. Have we ever had a week where he was not having knee trouble? Every single week he's been a Ram his knee has been weak, sore, injured or on. You just can't keep a guy who literally is a question mark to play every single game.

Plus it's not like he's that much more talented than Gilyard anyways. Gilyard also has special teams value. I just don't see anyway Alexander stays.
    I do not think the Rams would be stupid enough, to let a player as talented as DX get away.? I understand what your saying regarding his health, but until that knee goes again, you just dont know.???
    The Rams will not cut him unless his knee goes.? Avery must make some plays soon, or he is cooked.?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast