r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Sando: Why Ex-***** Wragge Makes Sense For Rams

Why ex-***** Wragge makes sense for Rams

By Mike Sando
    Sep 4

Veteran guard Tony Wragge's expected addition to the St. Louis Rams, as reported by Matt Barrows of the Sacramento Bee, dovetails with expectations for the team coming out of the exhibition season.

The Rams want to get bigger on their offensive interior. They did that already by signing free agent Harvey Dahl to replace Adam Goldberg in the starting lineup at right guard. The 32-year-old Wragge, listed at 6-foot-4 and 310 pounds, would give them more power than Hank Fraley offers as a backup to all three interior positions. Wragge started 10 games in 2008, but has not projected as a full-time starter during his career.

Wragge, released by San Francisco, became expendable to the ***** after the team developed guard/tackle Adam Snyder as a backup center this summer. With Alex Boone developing as the swing tackle, the ***** felt comfortable proceeding with Snyder and Boone as primary backups on the line.

The Rams' needs along the line changed when the team hired Josh McDaniels as its offensive coordinator. McDaniels has typically valued interior linemen with more power than the Rams have had with Goldberg and Fraley. The Rams wanted more power on the interior anyway.

The Rams kept only eight offensive linemen on their initial reduction to 53 players, one fewer than teams typically keep. They used the additional roster spot to keep a seventh receiver in Dominique Curry, whose value rests solely on special teams. Signing Wragge would call into question Fraley's status.

Rams vice president of player personnel Mike Williams was with the ***** from 2000-08. The ***** signed Wragge in 2005. Wragge had been with the Arizona Cardinals previously.

Ramblin` Ram is offline Registered User

Re: Sando: Why Ex-***** Wragge Makes Sense For Rams

if they just want a bigger body there`s been plenty in the late rounds of the draft and a young bigger body could be groomed into an eventual starter.

i know the Niners haven`t had a bad interior line the last few years but he hasn`t started in what 3 years and is 32.
    hopefully we`ll never have an injury on our starting line,now we only have 2QBs and cut our mobile option back up QB.

Billy D and Spags have done a tremendous job and i`ve supported every move and never even knocked them once during their 1 win season. i just hope that what i`m currently seeing as errors of judgement in the last 24 hours are proved to be wrong in time or that the starters never get injured so we don`t find out either way.
    Last edited by Ramblin` Ram; -09-05-2011 at 08:19 AM.

GROUND DOG 39 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Ramblin` Ram View Post
    if they just want a bigger body there`s been plenty in the late rounds of the draft and a young bigger body could be groomed into an eventual starter.

i know the Niners haven`t had a bad interior line the last few years but he hasn`t started in what 3 years and is 32.
    hopefully we`ll never have an injury on our starting line,now we only have 2QBs and cut our mobile option back up QB.

Billy D and Spags have done a tremendous job and i`ve supported every move and never even knocked them once during their 1 win season. i just hope that what i`m currently seeing as errors of judgement in the last 24 hours are proved to be wrong in time or that the starters never get injured so we don`t find out either way.
    Can you explain to me why their has been an error in judgement in the last 24 hours.?

what i`m currently seeing as errors in judgement

the main ones being Avery,Lewis,Foster
    they all outperformed Alexander,Feeley,Goldberg yet it was the former who got the cut.

Selvie i would have kept but we look good at the DE pos, same with Fendi at TE.

GROUND DOG 39 is offline Registered User

they all outperformed Alexander,Feeley,Goldberg yet it was the former who got the cut.

I understand what you mean now. Alexander is better than Avery, even on one leg. But with Lewis and Foster Im on your side here, especially Lewis.? Its the locker room presence which helped Goldberg keep his spot. Feeley was kept for similar reasons aswell, he has been a good mentor for Bradford. The Rams are HUGE on trying to get the right kind of characters on the roster, sometimes over better talent. Its the blueprint DeSpags swear by.? Their's method to there madness.
    GO RAMS
    Last edited by GROUND DOG 39; -09-07-2011 at 02:17 AM.

tomahawk247 is online now Registered User

Goldberg was kept because he doesn't just play tackle like Foster does, and is also a big locker room presence.

I have seen a ton of people say that Lewis outperformed Feeley, but did he? Feeley played against starting units and no.2s, Lewis played against most people cut a few days ago. Some perspective is required.

As for Avery and Alexander, well it just seems that youth won out. I could understand the uproar over Avery if Avery was still the number 1 WR, but he is no better than 4th on the depth chart behind Amendola, Sims-Walker and Gibson.

Quote Originally Posted by tomahawk247 View Post
    Goldberg was kept because he doesn't just play tackle like Foster does, and is also a big locker room presence.

I have seen a ton of people say that Lewis outperformed Feeley, but did he? Feeley played against starting units and no.2s, Lewis played against most people cut a few days ago. Some perspective is required.

As for Avery and Alexander, well it just seems that youth won out. I could understand the uproar over Avery if Avery was still the number 1 WR, but he is no better than 4th on the depth chart behind Amendola, Sims-Walker and Gibson.
    i recognize Goldberg`s locker room presence that`s why i`ve said elsewhere that he should just retire and be brought back as a coach( O-line assistant) it`s more important to me that should Saffold or Smith have to sit some games then an adequate OT is at hand.

Lewis played against those 2nd`s and soon to be cuts,with the Rams equivalents. there`s your perspective for you.

Avery outperformed Alexander, who may have been born after Avery but my 61 year old dad has a better knee than him. i like DX but he hasn`t performed very well in Pre-season after finishing last season poorly and it`s more the continuing knee issue that i would have cut him for. i think it was an error of judgement in letting a strong looking explosive wideout for one with such a gammy knee.

when folks were getting hysterical over 1-15 i never said anything bad and backed DeSpags all the way. that post i made a few days back was the nearest i got to chewing them out and that is far from that in reality. just sharing my opinion that i think they have made some for the first time some errors of judgement and that i hope i`m wrong.

i think the wideouts will be fine even tho i stand by my belief that they cut the wrong guy.

hopefully none of our front 5 will miss any games so we wont have to be exposed to Goldberg which inturn should lessen the hits on Sam and make whoever is backing him up a non-issue. the possibilty of coaching up a young QB with the view to trading him for a draft pick or two a couple of years down the line,will have to keep for another draft.

we should probably use the Wragge thread for Wragge..but there`s not much to go on from the media..

he`s a 32year old big body and hasn`t started in 3 years.
    Last edited by Ramblin` Ram; -09-08-2011 at 02:39 AM.

ZiaRam is offline Registered User

Hmmm I get the feel from this thread that since he hasn't started in 3 years this guy is trash... I don't think we could sign a starter to be our backup and he seems pretty servicible when it comes to size/staying healthy to be our backup.

p.s. I've heard some good things about him at practice already being nasty and physical.

ZiaRam is offline Registered User

All told, Wragge has played in 67 games in a seven-year career, six of those seasons coming in San Francisco.
    The 6’4, 310-pound Wragge earned a reputation for being a big, physical type of player but says he tries to be fundamentally sound in addition to his natural mean streak.
    “I like to mix them both,” Wragge said. “I would say I am a technician because that’s what keeps you in the league a long time, allowing you to work your craft and hone your technique but don’t get it misconstrued because you better be a mean SOB when it comes down to it so I’m a little bit of a mauler. I’d say I’m a little bit of both.”
    Being more than one thing has helped Wragge carve out his NFL niche. He’s spent the bulk of his time in the league playing guard but he can play center and has even kicked outside to tackle.
    For the Rams, that versatility is vital because they generally have dressed just seven offensive linemen for games.
    “It doesn’t matter to me (where I play),” Wragge said. “I have made a career of being the swing guy and even if I just kick out to tackle, I’ve done that a couple of times, and that’s how I’ve made a living doing it. I just go about my business. It doesn’t matter to me. I’ll operate wherever you put me.”

RealRam is offline Registered User

Okay, terrific addition to the Rams OL. I'm rooting for Big Tony, definitely.

Just need to know how to pronounce his name, Wragge, and I'll forgive all his time with the wrong people.