throwback week

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Sando: Why the Rams parted with Witherspoon

Why the Rams parted with Witherspoon
    October 20, 2009 8:48 PM
    Posted by ESPN.com's Mike Sando

The Rams' trade for Eagles receiver Brandon Gibson will be a success if Gibson helps the team immediately and continues to develop.

General manager Billy Devaney said as much Tuesday when speaking with 101ESPN St. Louis.

The Rams would not have sent linebacker Will Witherspoon to the Eagles for a receiver they thought might need three or four weeks to become acclimated, Devaney said. That raises the short-term expectations for Gibson, a rookie who has yet to catch a regular-season pass.

Devaney pointed to Gibson as a tough player with good hands, good size, slightly above-average speed, good route running and blocking skills. The Rams can use more of those things, for sure.

On the surface, this move suggests the Rams have given up on this season. I say that because Witherspoon is an established starter, while Gibson hasn't proven anything. But if Devaney is right and Gibson upgrades the offense in the short term, the Rams have made themselves better now and for the future (they also picked up a fifth-round draft choice).

Witherspoon has two years remaining on his contract. His deal was going to count $6.8 million against the cap in 2010 and $5 million in 2011. Any thoughts that Witherspooon fit the system in St. Louis proved a little off-base. Ken Flajole, the Rams' defensive coordinator, was with Witherspoon in Carolina. That didn't make Witherspoon a player the Rams wanted to build around on defense, particularly at that price. Expect coach Steve Spagnuolo to target another linebacker or two in the next offseason.

general counsel is offline Registered User

Re: Sando: Why the Rams parted with Witherspoon

Anyone care to discuss the success rate/liklihood of a rookie receiver "contributing immediately," let alone one that has not been with his team through training camp? Pure salary dump with a bit of upside. Odds of the 5th round pick having actual value are low. Throw in the fact that 2010 looks like an uncapped year and what you have is a pure cash flow issue relating to the value of a team that is for sale.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

makersncoke is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by general counsel View Post
    Anyone care to discuss the success rate/liklihood of a rookie receiver "contributing immediately," let alone one that has not been with his team through training camp? Pure salary dump with a bit of upside. Odds of the 5th round pick having actual value are low. Throw in the fact that 2010 looks like an uncapped year and what you have is a pure cash flow issue relating to the value of a team that is for sale.

ramming speed to all

general counsel
    My thoughts exactly GC, it's garage sale time at Rams park.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Curly Horns is offline Registered User

I'm all for anything that can help Bulger out. Many fans were screaming for receivers. Spoon was not setting the world on fire after returning to the weakside. I think he is rather easy to replace.

txramsfan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Ferter View Post
    I'm all for anything that can help Bulger out. Many fans were screaming for receivers. Spoon was not setting the world on fire after returning to the weakside. I think he is rather easy to replace.

Exactly Ferter. The Rams need WR's more than an aging LB. Witherspoon is 30, and his big contract years are the next two. It's a no brainer really.

richtree is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by txramsfan View Post
    Exactly Ferter. The Rams need WR's more than an aging LB. Witherspoon is 30, and his big contract years are the next two. It's a no brainer really.

He we get rid of an aging player with a big contract and get a pick and a potential solid contributer for the future.

I think we have the opportunity to have a great offseason.

maxxdigger Guest

Brandon Gibson better be able to come onto the field and play unlike that other receiver who has been sitting his but on the sidelines taking up cap space and roster room. ( Ruvell Martin)

Mooselini Guest

If Gibson can play, I'm all for the trade. I still like the trade, but I want immediate results.