throwback week

RamWraith is offline Registered User

Saturday Night--Wagoner

Saturday, December 24, 2005

- Before, I get into the game's activites, I want to commend the fans that were in attendance. The crowd certainly wasn't the biggest, but the fans that did show up made noise (good or bad, noise is still welcome) and seemed to enjoy themselves even though this game meant nothing in the grand scheme of the season.

- What is left to say about a team that continues to make the same mistakes every week? The tackling is atrocious. When the defense is playing well, it really does fine, but when it's playing poorly, it gets exposed. As Joe Vitt said after the game, safeties are called that for a reason. From watching the tackling efforts Saturday, I doubt anyone gets much of a secure feeling from watching this group tackle.

- I really thought the Rams would right the ship this week. San Francisco has struggled and is one of the worst teams in the league and it seemed like the setting was right to get a victory. I even thought after the Rams got out to that 20-7 lead that there was a chance they could walk away with a relatively easy win. Goes to show I haven't learned my lesson either.

- Vitt was hard on himself in the postgame press conference, but you can't help but feel bad for him. Admittedly, I didn't agree with the decision to go for it on fourth down to prove a point that there is still trust in the offensive line. A field goal there gives you a chance to get a field goal at the end of the game to win it. Hindsight is always 20/20 though.

- The offensive line did an excellent job of protecting Jamie Martin. Martin had plenty of time to throw all day, but once again running lanes were few and far between. Steven Jackson and Marshall Faulk had nowhere to go. To put it in perspective, Martin's 9-yard run was the longest of the day by any Ram. Last I checked, Martin isn't exactly Michael Vick.

- Torry Holt continues to amaze me. I know he has to have some slight pain or soreness in his knee and he continues to put up amazing numbers every year. He told another reporter and I after the game that he feels he has to be guarded about his comments on individual goals because he could be perceived as a "selfish individual." In my mind, there is nothing to worry about. Just because Holt is upbeat and happy doesn't mean he only cares about himself. If he did, he wouldn't be playing with a knee injury and he wouldn't be doing everything he can to help the team win. The fact is, if Holt reaches his lofty goals such as 1,300 yards and 10 touchdowns, he IS doing everything he can to help the team win. There are few guys that have the combination of ability, class and team-first attitude that Holt has.

- Martin did a fine job in the place of Ryan Fitzpatrick, throwing for 354 yards. Yes, he made a couple of mistakes, but he did a really nice job of taking what was given to him, checking down to Marshall Faulk and finding the likes of Holt over the top when he needs to.

- It'd be nice to see Kevin Curtis get some more touches. His development has been slowed in recent weeks by less opportunities.

- The defensive line did a nice job of getting pressure on Alex Smith. Anthony Hargrove, who was really sick as recently as Friday, was doing whatever he wanted off the edge for most of the first half. Jimmy Kennedy had an MRI that revealed a hernia and played through it. The group effort as a whole was encouraging and it's nice to see Hargrove making some plays in the past two weeks. He still has plenty of potential and is still learning the intricacies of his position.

- Maybe Smith only threw for 131 yards, but that was because he only threw 16 times. I wouldn't say that number was anywhere near indicative of a great game for the secondary. Aside from the missed tackles, they gave up some easy slants for first downs and Smith posted a quarterback rating of 98.7. Entering the game, his rating was 26.6.

- That's all for now, we'll have more with a Christmas edition tomorrow. Happy Holidays everyone.

RamsFan16 Guest

Re: Saturday Night--Wagoner

I agree it would have been nice to see Curtis to get more touchs. But Martin and Holt were lighting it up in the beginning... Then cooled off and then 2 interceptions came.