Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    PHAT-MONEY Guest

Re: Saunders is done deal

i hear you.. your not the only one going to cry!!!

RamWraith is offline Registered User

Saunders gets 3-year deal as Rams' new offensive coordinator
    Associated Press

Updated: January 30, 2008, 6:39 PM ET

ST. LOUIS -- The St. Louis Rams hired Al Saunders to a three-year contract as offensive coordinator on Wednesday, another step in a coaching staff overhaul following a three-win season.

Saunders was fired by the Washington Redskins on Saturday after two seasons in the same position. He'll begin his second stint with the Rams after serving as an assistant under Dick Vermeil in 1999 and 2000, helping the Rams win their first Super Bowl after the '99 season.

Saunders replaces Greg Olson, who has been hired by the Bucs as quarterbacks coach after two seasons in St. Louis. Olson called plays the last six games of the 2006 season, helping them finish strong at 8-8, but coach Scott Linehan resumed play-calling in the middle of last season.

Saunders will call the plays next season, team spokesman Rick Smith said.

Earlier in the month, the Rams fired offensive line coach Paul Boudreau, secondary coach Willy Robinson and running backs coach Wayne Moses. All served two seasons under Linehan.

Copyright 2008 by The Associated Press

PHAT-MONEY Guest

good news indeed. Congrats on your 7,000th post RamWraith

BEER is offline Registered User

Talking Re: Saunders is done deal

Our New OC this year, our HC next year! Hell yea..

PHAT-MONEY Guest

that would imply that we suck next year... noooooooooo!!!!!!

mdram is offline Registered User

Well the ideal scenario is haslett runs the d and Saunder runs the o. Lineham drives to work and goes in his office closing the door behind him and play video games until it is time to go home.

btimsah Guest

Quote Originally Posted by RamWraith View Post
    Some info from me listening to the Linehan interview

-Linehan was VERY sincere in his talkings

-Said he is going to give the entire offense to Al

-Admitted he lost some of the guys and needs to rebuild trust

-Happy with Hasslett and has NO BEEF.

-ADMITTED HE NEEDED HELP!

-Lots of confidence that this will be turned around

-Complete team effort, and will rely on more people to be successful.

-AGAIN, VERY up beat...much more than I have ever heard Linehan. Not boring, very positive, joking, relaxed and VERY talkative.
    I mentioned Saunders the moment I'd heard Washington was going to sign someone else to run their offense. The reason is because I was impressed with what they were doing with Todd Collins at QB. They looked better than us. I also like the way they run so much single back and spread formations.

Saunders could really help undo the nightmare of the Linehan offense. Let's just hope Bulger can get comfortable in the offense. Everyone else, especially Jackson should fit in nicely.

Now we just gotta rebuild the defensive secondary and were almost there. lol..

Bald_81 is offline Registered User

So long to 'play it safe' passes on third and long, Saunders will definitely rejuvenate an inept offense from a year ago. He should easily feel at home in St. Louis and as long as our offense isn't mauled with injuries again it should be efficient and near the top of the league under him. Great hire!

RamOfDenmark is offline Registered User

Very good news! Saunders was my top candidate for OC, I just didn't think he would be available. I can't believe we actually got him (I think though, that it had a lot to do with the timing of Washington firing him, but who cares, we got him!).

I can't help but wonder what the heck Linehan will be doing if he's really "handing over the offense" to Saunders and with Haslett running the D, but hey, who am I to complain.

Great move! And I really like the fact that Saunders is not a friend of Linehan that he has a prior relationship with. It must be the FO forcing Linehan's hand on this - every other hire has been one of his old cronies.

Maybe this will be one of the keys to turning the team around - kinda like the FO made Vermiel hire some guy named Mike Martz as his OC in 1999...

My hopes for a turnaround in '08 have just started...

bigredman is offline Registered User

This is an interesting hire. Saunders, I believe, is worthy of head coach consideration at this point in his career. Given Linehan's admitted losing his grip on the confidence of members on the team in his ability as head coach, I'm curious as to why Saunders isn't replacing Linehan right now, unless it is a financial consideration by the Rams to get at least something out of Linehan and his contract before cutting him loose. In any event, the hiring of Saunders shows me that the Rams front office is in fact committed to improving the team and winning.

Al Saunders was born February 1, 1947 in London, England (Close enough to Scotland to make him a ClanRam favorite), he became a naturalized citizen of the United States in 1960 (Again showing his intelligence and common sense), and is one of four foreign-born coaches in the NFL. In college he played Defensive Back and Wide Receiver for the Spartans of San Jose State University from 1966-1968 where he was a three-year starter, team captain, and an Academic All-American.

In the 1970s, Al Saunders joined the coaching staff at USC and San Diego State University, whose Aztecs were then under the control of Head Coach Don Coryell. Saunders would go with Coryell to NFL when Coryell became the head coach of the San Diego Chargers.

From 1983-1986, Saunders was the wide receivers coach for the Chargers. He became the Charger's interim head coach when Coryell resigned during the middle of the 1986 season. Saunders eventually replaced Coryell as the head coach from 1986-1988.

From 1989-1998, Saunders was with the Kansas City Chiefs, where he served as the assistant head coach and wide receivers coach under Marty Schottenheimer.

Saunders joined the St. Louis Rams coaching staff. From 1999-2000 he served as the wide receivers Coach under the finest Ram head coach that ever directed the team, Dick Vermeil, during which they won the Super Bowl, and later as assistant head coach under Mad Mike Martz, where they went back to the Super Bowl, but lost to the Patriots (because Martz wouldn't listen to him).

Saunders would rejoin the Kansas City Chiefs in 2001 as the offensive coordinator when Vermeil came out of retirement. In his second stint with the Chiefs, Saunders built the NFL's top offense, which was ranked #1 in the NFL from 2002-2005.

On January 19, 2006, he joined the coaching staff of the Washington Redskins as the Associate Head Coach - Offense, reuniting him with fellow Don "Air" Coryell alumnus, Joe Gibbs, where his 3-year, $6 million contract made him the second highest paid assistant coach in the NFL.

In this role with the Rams, he will serve the team like he did in Kansas City, as the primary play caller and offensive coordinator.

Linehan just merely needs to wear the team colors, smile, and look pretty on the sideline. An expensive cheer leader, but it should pay dividends on the field.
    Last edited by bigredman; -01-30-2008 at 10:44 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

PHAT-MONEY Guest

And they Wont catch him Today... TouchDown Rams!!!!

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

This is good news. With Saunders handling the O and Haslett running the D, Linehan will be allowed the time to manage and pay attention to the little but "HUGE" details. Alot of games in the NFL are won by 1 or 2 plays. It's now time for Linehan to help fine tune this team. He also needs to be the motivator and show that he can lead this team.

Rambos is offline Registered User

Very good news, sometime it's better not to rush in and hire the first guy. Al was not on the market early in the process, so the FO gets this right. Nice job "Chip" Rosenbloom wlecome to the board room!!!

Tampa_Ram is offline Registered User

Im speechless. This is the greatest news ive heard come out of the rams organization since they fired Greg Olsen. This is just one of a few steps in getting us back into a top contending team. This is tremendously great news.

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Great, great hire! To be honest I'm much more excited about having Saunders here than the idea of having Cameron. Jason's interpretation of Linehan on the radio is very interesting as well. Hopefully with Saunders in charge of the offense and Haslett in charge of the defense, Linehan can focus on being an actual head coach.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

LinkBacks (?)

1. -01-30-2008, 09:10 PM