Rambos is offline Registered User

The saying is “a team is built in the middle rounds of the draft”.

So why have we not seen these guys? Are they bust?

Jon Alston in 3rd Round

TE Dominique Byrd in 3rd Round

WR Marques Hagans in 5th Round

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Re: The saying is “a team is built in the middle rounds of the draft”.

Alston? Who the heck knows? They have to get him on the field.

Byrd? Probably, but the jury is still out.

Hagans? Frankly, I don't think a 5th round pick should ever be called a "bust," as they are longshots to start with. That said, he is a project, as he was converting from QB. If he can't make the roster next year...

general counsel is offline Registered User

Victor contributed as a 4th round pick. setterstrom is starting as a seventh rounder. jury out on alston. I think we did fine in the middle to lower rounds. I never cease to be amazed at peoples expectations for the draft. There is no empirical evidence to suggest that we are any better or any worse than any other team with the quality of our draft picks in any round, if you compare apples to apples (ie where you were picking). To read some of the posts around here you would think that we were the only team that drafted players that didnt turn out to be productive or superstars.

Appreciate the real value of drafting a starter like setterstrom in round 7, let alone richie in round 3 the year before. Starting players in mid to late rounds are underpaid under the cap, which allows you to pay for the superstars. That is a critical point in the cap era.

I agree with avenger. A 5th rounder isnt a "bust" or a wasted pick. That is pure 20-20 hindsight.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

Rambos is offline Registered User

To read some of the posts around here you would think that we were the only team that drafted players that didnt turn out to be productive or superstars.
    Ok GC see your point, but we just gave up two, not one but two, count them two TD on returns.

Alston a third round draft pick, can't help us on ST. Come on, ST! I'm not looking for these guys to go to the pro bowl, just get them in the game and use them.

Byrd in 3rd Round, does he have a catch?

Marques Hagans ok 5th round guy. We do need two returners, we could not find a young fast return guy to draft?

I never cease to be amazed at peoples expectations for the draft.
    I agree with this, thats why I never want to lose a game to move up in the draft.

rambos, i agree with you on alston, i want to see him play. Remember, we are missing one of our best special teams players in isiah who is our with the concussion.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    Byrd? Probably, but the jury is still out.
    Literally!

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    Marques Hagans ok 5th round guy. We do need two returners, we could not find a young fast return guy to draft?
    Hagans was drafted in part because of what he could do as a return man. He had opportunities in the preseason and didn't impress enough to keep that job. So it's not as if the Rams didn't try to address it, they just didn't address it well.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by general counsel View Post
    Victor contributed as a 4th round pick. setterstrom is starting as a seventh rounder. jury out on alston. I think we did fine in the middle to lower rounds. I never cease to be amazed at peoples expectations for the draft. There is no empirical evidence to suggest that we are any better or any worse than any other team with the quality of our draft picks in any round, if you compare apples to apples (ie where you were picking). To read some of the posts around here you would think that we were the only team that drafted players that didnt turn out to be productive or superstars.
    Contributed? That's a dangerous word that can be taken both positive and negative. Victor contrbuted to one of the worst defenses in the NFL. The biggest weakness being the D-Line. Oh yeah, Victor plays on the D-line.

Setterstrom plays on an O-line that has seen there leader Marc Bulger sacked almost 50 times??

So what was the real quality of our draft?

Fat Pang is offline Registered User

The only expectations anyone should have for the draft is that you have the opportunity to improve your team, not that you will, only that you might. It's for this reason that it really is strange that anyone would want to lose more games so that we can improve our draft position. It trusts far too much to fortune.

Special teams performance can be linked to a team's drafting performance in the middle rounds on the basis that it's where most of your contributors to that phase of play come from. And our performance in that phase of play hasn't been great now has it?

As for hindsight, it surely has to be the only way in which you can judge a draft

chiguy is offline Registered User

Well, I wouldn't hang the poor run defense and pass blocking on Adeyanju and Setterstrom, respectively. Mark's only been out there two games and our run blocking has been noticeably better in those games (at least in part due to Olson's play calling I'd guess). Adeyanju wasn't a full time starter for many games and did a respectable job in the run game. His real problem is that he cannot pass rush.

my point was that victor and setterstrom "contributed" i didnt suggest that they were stars, although i think that setterstrom may be starter quality.

Sure the defense stinks and it could stink just as much with or without victor. If that is the criteria, you could ask why we bothered to pay all that money for spoon. After all, how much worse could we really be on defense without him. Maybe jamie duncan is available.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

I agree with avenger. A 5th rounder isnt a "bust" or a wasted pick. That is pure 20-20 hindsight.
    If I'm not mistaken, Hagans was taken a lot earlier than most people thought he would be and without an obvious position other than returner. He hadn't returned a kick in two years, and he wasn't even in the top 50 returners in Div-IA when he was returning kicks. I think it's fair to say it's a blown pick when it looked bad at the time, and the player fails to produce on the field or even make the roster. I think one year is too early to judge someone a bust unless they're just out of football by then (<ahem> Eric Crouch), but Hagans has done nothing yet to assuage my initial doubts about the pick.

It would be nice to see Alston get some playing time, just so we know what we've got. As for Byrd, honestly I'd prefer he didn't cut into Klopf's playing time. I'm also curious about McGarigle's progress. He was a late round pick, but he was supposed to be a dominant run-stopping middle linebacker in college. I'm not getting my hopes up too much, but there just aren't many people on our defense with reputations for stopping the run.

Considering that Hill, Klopf, Adeyanju, and Setterstrom are all good enough to be starting at the moment, I'd say that we achieved the goal of improving our team through the draft. Sure, Hill has gotten burned, Adeyanju has not been getting sacks, and the line has been giving up sacks; but those guys wouldn't be on the field if the coaches didn't believe they were better than the other alternatives on the roster. That constitutes improvement.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Goldenfleece View Post
    If I'm not mistaken, Hagans was taken a lot earlier than most people thought he would be and without an obvious position other than returner. He hadn't returned a kick in two years, and he wasn't even in the top 50 returners in Div-IA when he was returning kicks. I think it's fair to say it's a blown pick when it looked bad at the time, and the player fails to produce on the field or even make the roster. I think one year is too early to judge someone a bust unless they're just out of football by then (<ahem> Eric Crouch), but Hagans has done nothing yet to assuage my initial doubts about the pick.
    I tend to agree. It's hard for a player of low value with low expectations to really bust out, so I wouldn't use that term. But when you consider we could have had Dawan Landry or Mark Anderson in that slot, and instead we have a practice squad player who couldn't win either return job, it's a disappointment.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!