Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Schefter: Rex Ryan has inside track on Rams job?

Rex Ryan has inside track on Rams job?
    Posted: Adam Schefter | Adam Schefter | Tags: St. Louis Rams, Baltimore Ravens

New Rams general manager Billy Devaney will lead his teamís head coaching search, just like he did last season in Atlanta.

In Atlanta, Devaney gained tremendous respect for Ravens defensive coordinator Rex Ryan and Titans defensive coordinator Jim Schwartz, each of whom was a finalist for the Falconsí head coaching job that went to Mike Smith.

Many around the league believe that Ryan is a favorite to land the Ramsí head coaching job. Ryan is the type of coach that could help turn around this franchise, and he would not command the type of salary that a Bill Cowher or a higher-profile head coach would. The Rams also are expected to talk with interim head coach Jim Haslett, who has the support of many of the Rams players, which should count for something.

If the teams looks to hire an offensive coach, it could turn in the direction of former New York Giants coach Jim Fassel, who was a finalist for the Washington Redskinsí head-coaching job last season and could be in the mix in Oakland this season.

But the feeling around the league is that Ryan is the favorite.

Bald_81 is offline Registered User

Re: Schefter: Rex Ryan has inside track on Rams job?

Music to my ears. One of Ryan, Schwartz or Grimm (along with my dream choice of Marty) will be fine with me. But hey, anyone who's last name doesn't end in Haslett will be perfect!

moloch41 is offline Registered User

I hear that there's a former OC of the Minnesota Vikings out there looking for a job...

RamsSB99 is offline Registered User

I am not sold on Ryan I don't think he has enough of a track record. Maybe he has put in time but I don't see a lot with him that stands out. But I do have a lot of faith in Devaney. If he winds up thinking thats the best choice I will give him the benefit of the doubt until I can see what he does as HC.

jkramsfan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Rex Ryan has inside track on Rams job?
    Posted: Adam Schefter | Adam Schefter | Tags: St. Louis Rams, Baltimore Ravens

New Rams general manager Billy Devaney will lead his teamís head coaching search, just like he did last season in Atlanta.

In Atlanta, Devaney gained tremendous respect for Ravens defensive coordinator Rex Ryan and Titans defensive coordinator Jim Schwartz, each of whom was a finalist for the Falconsí head coaching job that went to Mike Smith.

Many around the league believe that Ryan is a favorite to land the Ramsí head coaching job. Ryan is the type of coach that could help turn around this franchise, and he would not command the type of salary that a Bill Cowher or a higher-profile head coach would. The Rams also are expected to talk with interim head coach Jim Haslett, who has the support of many of the Rams players, which should count for something.

If the teams looks to hire an offensive coach, it could turn in the direction of former New York Giants coach Jim Fassel, who was a finalist for the Washington Redskinsí head-coaching job last season and could be in the mix in Oakland this season.

But the feeling around the league is that Ryan is the favorite.
    if Ryan gets the job can he bring Ray Lewis and the rest of that defense with him ?

eric2810 is offline Registered User

Forget Ray Lewis right now, If Ryan gets the job I'm interested to see if we'd make the switch to a 3-4 Defense.

eldfan is offline Registered User

Rex Ryan mabe ok it is just time to start a new with the coaching staff.
    :ramlogo:

maineram is offline Registered User

I am not sold on the latest, " insert name here, coordinator".

I'm williing to take a leap of faith with Denavey though. What ever direction we're headed is deffinately a new direction ??

Maineram -
    and out of the ashes rise ...The Breakfast Club !

RedArcher7 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by jkramsfan View Post
    if Ryan gets the job can he bring Ray Lewis and the rest of that defense with him ?
    Could be, Ray Lewis, Terrel Suggs, and Bart Scott are all free agents. They love playing for him as last year they were petitioning for him to be the new Baltimore head coach.

As far as the 3-4 defense goes...don't bring it up again

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

I've been a proponent of Ryan's for a while, so I'd be pretty happy to see him get his shot here.

Not sure that comment about the 3-4 was supposed to mean, Archer. I think the Rams should strongly consider moving in that direction, and Ryan would be a great architect for that move.

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    I've been a proponent of Ryan's for a while, so I'd be pretty happy to see him get his shot here.

Not sure that comment about the 3-4 was supposed to mean, Archer. I think the Rams should strongly consider moving in that direction, and Ryan would be a great architect for that move.
    Agreed. I'd be more than happy with Ryan AND the 3-4.

RedArcher7 is offline Registered User

I've gone off so many times about switching to a 3-4. It can't happen in one year. We need to completely revamp our entire defense. It's gonna take 2-3 years before we'd be able to have a solid 3-4 defense. This is assuming FA signings and draft picks aren't complete busts. We're got the defensive ends for the 3-4 that's abot it. We need 4 linebackers, 2 nose tackles, if Bartell and Atogwe are gone, then we need a brand new secondary. If and only if Rex Ryan is hired should we switch to the 3-4. Tennessee runs a 4-3, New York runs a 4-3. And whoever else we're thinking about signing runs a 4-3. Everyone talks about making the switch like we can do it in a year and have a great defense. We haven't had a good defense in almost 10 years. This won't be as easy as everyone thinks.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Easy? No.

Can't be done in 1 year? Incorrect.

The Rams already have several players who fit well into a 3-4 scheme.

Adam Carriker: Playing DT, but would be an ideal 3-4 DE.
    Victor Adeyanju: No more than a backup DE in a 4-3, but could be a starting DE in a 3-4.
    Chris Long: Playing DE, but would fit very well as a 3-4 OLB.
    Leonard Little: Playing DE, but was originally an OLB and could be an effective end rusher in a 3-4.
    Will Witherspoon: Playing MLB in 4-3. Would be better suited as 3-4 LB (inside or outside).

The biggest need would be a NT. The Rams would need someone bigger than Clifton Ryan (who could still be in the rotation, but is not big enough to be the primary guy). They'd also need another ILB, but that need could be filled in the draft. I think that Pisa Tinoisamoa could be the odd man out, as he does not really fit in a 3-4 (unless he could move to SS, which I doubt).

The switch could be made in a year. I think the defense would be better. I'm not saying they'd be the Ravens in one year, but does this defense really have anywhere to go but up?

MoonJoe is offline Ram MVP

Quote Originally Posted by moloch41 View Post
    I hear that there's a former OC of the Minnesota Vikings out there looking for a job...
    Ewww, I think I just threw up in my mouth!
    "The disappointment of losing is huge!"

Jack Youngblood

HornIt is offline Registered User

So, it's kind of interesting to think about this. Digging around I also found that Ryan REALLY wants to be a head coach. It appeared pretty obvious that he'd bite at that opportunity if it was given him from any team.

Who might he bring in as his coordinators should the Rams make him their head coach? Well, it looks like he really likes Cam Cameron and in one thing I found he specifically pointed out Rob Chidzinski from the Browns as one of Cameron's guys that gone on to make an impact as an OC in the NFL. Just so happens that Chidzinski will be available. I'd like that.

Another possibility for OC would be Hugh Jackson, who has done a great job with Flacco as the Ravens' QB coach and did a good job in Cinny as WR's coach and was the Falcons' OC last year when Devaney was there.

Both Chidzinski and Jackson are well schooled in the same offensive system the Rams currently run under Saunders. So the transition there would be pretty smooth.

As for possible DC's, I found where Ryan spoke highly of former Ravens and current Bengles LB coach Jeff Fitzgerald. He said he thought he'd make a great DC one day. Also, his brother would obviously be a possibility of he shook free in the Oakland coaching change. Also, he said some good things about the Ravens D-line coach, Clarence Brooks.

Should be interesting to see what happens if indeed Ryan is the choice.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast