Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Curly Horns is offline Registered User

Re: Schefter: Rex Ryan has inside track on Rams job?

Very good front runner. I don't think the Rams could go wrong with this choice.

For those that would like to see the 3-4 then this is one of the very few guys to hire.

Problem with the 3-4 is:

Where do the Rams find a NT?

FA? Draft?

Haynesworth is the only FA that I have read about and the titans will try very hard to resign him.

In the Draft the kid from BC (Raji). But I think the Rams would be foolish to pass on Oher with the 2nd pick and Raji is not worth the 2nd pick.

I have not read about any other NTs.

Anyone have any ideas on a good NT?

TekeRam is offline Registered User

Well, not that Haslett's opinion necessarily matters much, but he did say that Cliff Ryan was a prototypical NT and he's certainly shown some flashes.

As for Rex Ryan, I could go for it, but I still like Jim Schwartz of the Titans better, but that's just me. I just want a good coach and don't care who it ends up being if he fits that requirement.

RamsSB99 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    Victor Adeyanju: No more than a backup DE in a 4-3, but could be a starting DE in a 3-4.
    I agree I realy like this guy but he never gets enough of a pass rush to be a starter in the 4-3. He stands up well against the run, has some power, and good wing span.

RamsSB99 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    I've been a proponent of Ryan's for a while, so I'd be pretty happy to see him get his shot here.

Not sure that comment about the 3-4 was supposed to mean, Archer. I think the Rams should strongly consider moving in that direction, and Ryan would be a great architect for that move.
    I know he had a number 1 defense one year but several of those players were on a number 1 defense for that team before. I have also seen where he has had very average defenses. I just don't see much on his resume that jumps out at me. Several people see him as a good option and I have a lot of faith in Devaney. What makes you a proponent of his? In other words whats his sell pitch to the Rams for the position that should seperate him from the pack?

Falconator Guest

Again, for the record - Billy DeVaney did not make the Falcons coaching hire - our new GM, Thomas Dimitroff did that.

Before Dimitroff was hired, the Falcons front office including DeVaney, Arthur Blank and Rich McKay did begin interviewing coaching candidates. I am sure that Devaney MIGHT have led that effort - but never have really heard for sure about that. I know each candidate had to interview personally with many people from the front office separately.

I'm not bashing DeVaney and think he did a good job for the Falcons for the 1 or 2 years he was here - just trying to keep the record accurate. I do think that it is "fair" to say that during the Falcons coaching search the general consensus was that Rex Ryan, Jim Schwartz, Jim Caldwell(now "coach in waiting" for Colts) and Leslie Frazier(Vikings DC) were all impressive to the Falcons.

Personally, I liked Steve Spagnuolo and Jim Schwartz and was not as impressed with Rex Ryan.
    Last edited by Falconator; -12-29-2008 at 01:57 AM.

Falconator Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Ferter View Post
    Very good front runner. I don't think the Rams could go wrong with this choice.

For those that would like to see the 3-4 then this is one of the very few guys to hire.

Problem with the 3-4 is:

Where do the Rams find a NT?

FA? Draft?

Haynesworth is the only FA that I have read about and the titans will try very hard to resign him.

In the Draft the kid from BC (Raji). But I think the Rams would be foolish to pass on Oher with the 2nd pick and Raji is not worth the 2nd pick.

I have not read about any other NTs.

Anyone have any ideas on a good NT?

From what I have read so far (and granted, its early) but B.J. Raji is borderline 1st-2nd round pick......so, I doubt Raji goes later than 2nd round and could go first round - he would probably be a good NT in the Falcons 4-3 scheme.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by TekeRam View Post
    Well, not that Haslett's opinion necessarily matters much, but he did say that Cliff Ryan was a prototypical NT and he's certainly shown some flashes.
    I believe Haslett was talking about a 4-3 scheme.

Tony Soprano is offline Registered User

It's really hard to argue that Rex Ryan is not one of the Best Coordinators in the league. And he's done it for a long time!

I don't know that X coordinator will make a good Head Coach and Y coordinator will not. I don't know how one determines that. However, Rex Ryan has been fielding really good Defenses for a long span of seasons. IMO, Haslett is on the wrong path entirely. I think if he had all his guys (his Defensive wish-list) on Defense delivered on a Silver platter in this draft, we'd still be mediocre for years.

jjigga3000 is offline Registered User

I think you all need to understand that, just because you're a good coordinator does not make you a good coach. Look at Gary Kubiak, Norv Turner, Mike Martz, Scott Linehan. Just to name a few. All of them are great Coordinators, but horrible Coaches. A bird in the hand is better than two in the bush. Hastlett knows the players, so there's no need for a lot of player evaluation. He pretty much has an idea of who he wants to keep and who he's letting go of. IF Scott can get 2 years and 5 games, they should at least give him a year or two. He's at least got this team playing with passion again. We played some good ball against a 11-5 time.

To me Haslett is the better choice. Rex Ryan piques my interest, and grabs my attention to talk to him. But over all I would go for Haslett

40winks is offline Registered User

Why in the world would anyone want Jim Haslett as the head coach? In the 6 years he was with the Aints, he had 2 winning seasons. In his first year 2000 he was 10-6 and in 2002 he was 9-7. That's it! In 2003 and 2004 he was 8-8. and in 2003 he was 3-13. I was excited when Haslett was named defensive coordinator when Scott Linehan was hired, but the Ram's defense and special teams have been horible since Lovie left.

I don't know much about Rex Ryan, but he does have a good track record in Baltimore, and his players seem to like him.

Personally, I would spend the money for a high profile guy like Cowher. He has a proven Head Coach record, is highly regarded by his players, and he wins! Could he turn the Rams around tomorrow, perhaps, but the least he will do is show that the owners of the Rams want a winner, and are willing to do whatever it takes!
    :clanram: 40 Winks

Tony Soprano is offline Registered User

Falcon Running backs averaged 9.5 yard per Carry!

That's 9.5 Yards per Carry.

Haslett would be lucky to get a job as assistant to an assistant.

He has no answers as far as stopping anyone.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Soprano View Post
    And he's done it for a long time!
    However, Rex Ryan has been fielding really good Defenses for a long span of seasons.
    Maybe you're talking career here, but Ryan's only been DC at Baltimore now for four seasons. He's actually spent more time as a "defensive assistant" there than he has a coordinator. To compare, Jim Schwartz has spent more time as DC in Tennessee. I'm not sure if that four-year span is what you were referring to as a long span, but I thought it should be mentioned just so we have an idea of the numbers we're talking about.

Rambos is offline Registered User

One thing is for sure we will get bigger.
    “Beef up the roster. “The team needs to get bigger, physically,” Devaney said.”
    “Improving the offensive line is a top priority” and “Construct a strong defensive middle: “We need to bring in some bigger pieces for the defensive line”
    Devaney also mentions that Will Witherspoon will make his move to the outside permanent and the Rams will find a big MLB to plug the holes.
    Trade back in the draft grab MLB Maualuga out of SC. We should have a shot at OT in the second.
    Last edited by Rambos; -12-29-2008 at 11:15 AM.

Falconator Guest

It's really hard to argue that Rex Ryan is not one of the Best Coordinators in the league. And he's done it for a long time!

I don't know that X coordinator will make a good Head Coach and Y coordinator will not. I don't know how one determines that. However, Rex Ryan has been fielding really good Defenses for a long span of seasons. IMO, Haslett is on the wrong path entirely. I think if he had all his guys (his Defensive wish-list) on Defense delivered on a Silver platter in this draft, we'd still be mediocre for years.

Tony you are exactly "spot on" in your analysis...just because you are a good coordinator does not make you a good head coach. Being a good coordinator is knowing your side of the ball and getting the most out of the players on that side of the ball and knowing "X's and O's"....

Being a head coach is so much more. Making speeches, overseeing all the detail of a team, input on personnel/draft to the GM, master communicator, leadership, so much more......

There is no "common blueprint" but that is where the interview process comes in......you look for key traits....

Ramblin` Ram is offline Registered User

well Rex may be the early front runner but with Baltimore playing in the Wild Card round of the play-offs,the likes of Schwartz & Spagnuolo should be interviewed first...who knows maybe they`ll Wow in their interviews and one of them will get the gig.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast