Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Dr. Defense is offline Registered User

Re: Schefter: Rex Ryan has inside track on Rams job?

I like Rex Ryan as a possibility for the head coaching job. However I think that for us Jim Schwartz would be the better choice. When I think Baltimore I think defense. They have always had this really well built defense, that could lose players and just replace them like it was nothing. Tennessee on the other hand went through a rebuilding phase and had to make a name for themselves with guys that were not really well known. I think getting a coach that turned no bodies into somebodies would be the better choice.

Falconator Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Ramblin` Ram View Post
    well Rex Ryan may be the early front runner but with Baltimore playing in the Wild Card round of the play-offs,the likes of Jim Schwartz & Steve Spagnuolo should be interviewed first...who knows maybe they`ll Wow in their interviews and one of them will get the gig.
    yeah, ramblin' ram.......the playoffs dramatically effect interviewing the potential head coach candidates. I remember last year the Atlanta Falcons were very anxious to interview Steve Spagnuolo but given that they(NY Giants) were a wild-card - there never really was much of an opportunity until the week before the SuperBowl.

And, from what I recall (and I might be wrong about this), you cannot have a 2nd interview with a head coach candidate until his respective team is out of the playoffs. So, in order for the Falcons to try and secure Spagnuolo, they would have had to wait until the 10th of February until you could actually hire Spags since his team went to the SuperBowl.

The risk there is you wait on "your guy" and then he says "NO". Meanwhile, five other coaching vacancies get filled(some of the candidates you liked) and those teams and new head coaches get the chance to fill out their coaching staffs. It puts a team at a real disadvantage if they have to wait that long to find out if they want to hire an assistant coach on a SuperBowl team. Its worth it if you "get your guy" - but what if he says, "no thanks"....

I know Thomas Dimitroff really liked Steve Spagnuolo and they knew each other but I think the feeling around the league was that Spags was going to sit tight with the Giants (which he ultimately did). Also, Dimitroff really liked Mike Smith - and Smith put together a terrific coaching staff in Atlanta highlighted by Mike Mularkey(OC), Paul Boudreau(OL Coach), Terry Robiskie(WR coach), Bill Musgrave (QB coach), Ray Hamilton (DL Coach), Alvin Reynolds (Secondary coach), etc.......

Also, from your very own Billy DeVaney, when the Falcons contingent(pre Dimitroff hire) interviewed Mike Smith the first time the Falcons group was kind of "ho-hum" on Smith - keep in mind Smith was preparing for a playoff game with the Steelers - but then two weeks later(after playoff win in Pittsburgh and playoff loss in New England) and by that time Dimitroff had been hired. Dimitroff asked to 2nd interview Mike Smith and Smith came in and "wowed" Dimitroff, Devaney and everyone else. Billy DeVaney said on 1380 interview with Bernie that it was a totally different Mike Smith from the first interview to the second interview. So Devaney will be cognizant of that when he's interviewing these guys that are preparing for playoff games - hard to focus on head coaching job that you might not get while also focusing on preparing for the playoffs - difficult to do!

So, Rams Fans, keep in mind the "timing" of coaching interviews and when your GM (DeVaney) can interview and hire a head coach - it can be frustrating if your main target goes all the way to the SuperBowl...

Depending on the number of head coaching vacancies, it can be very frustrating.....

Where are the perceived vacancies right now?

Definite:
    Rams (I say definite, if DeVaney keeps Jim Haslett, then you guys are in TROUBLE - don't think he will)
    Browns (Crennel is out - they are going after Bill Cowher-supposedly Cowher now says "no thanks" - huh?)
    Lions (yes, Marinelli has to be gone)
    NY Jets (wow!! - maybe Bill Cowher ends up here - Jets will throw big $$$$ at him.)

Probable:
    Chiefs (probably - and maybe most attractive coaching opening with young talent and stable ownership-new GM first though)
    Oakland (most likely but HC candidate would prefer Rams)

Unlikely but possible:
    Dallas (this team is an absolute "ZOO" - this is what happens with an overmeddling owner, prima-dona players & relaxed head coach)
    Tampa Bay (this team is declining and aging rapidly)
    Buffalo (imploded in 2nd half)
    Cincinatti (why the heck not? Bengals too cheap to fire a coach that they owe millions to)
    Washington (very doubtful, Zorn deserves another season and I think he will get it)

I think all the other teams coaches keep their jobs.......You were not going to get Cowher anyway so if that happens (Cowher to Browns), that is actually a good thing for the Rams as that is one less team to compete against for head coaching candidates.

The Detroit Lions and the KC Chiefs will be the Rams main competition for head coaching candidates. If Scott Pioli goes to the Lions, he probably brings his offensive coordinator with him - the young guy - what's his name? Josh Johnson or something like that.

I think you guys might have picked a good year to fire your head coach as you may get "your pick" of 2-3 top guys.....

I still like Spagnuolo better than Rex Ryan. I like Jim Schwartz #2....However, whoever has the best overall leadership and communication would sway me in the interview process.

Mike Smith "wowed" the Atlanta Falcons with his 2nd interview with Thomas Dimitroff. Also, what was key was Dimitroff and Mike Smith agreed on basic concepts on how to build a team and similiar ideas on personnel, etc. That is important when the GM and Head Coach work with each other instead of "against" each other like sometimes happens in some places.....
    Last edited by Falconator; -12-29-2008 at 02:16 PM.

Ramblin` Ram is offline Registered User

add Jets to that list..

Falconator Guest

add Jets to that list..
    yeah, I just saw that - just changed it above - thanks!.....ususally there are a few suprises as well...

I think Jerry Jones is an IDIOT if he keeps Wade Phillips.......Phillips has had two chances now - he's just not a good head coach - needs to stick to being defensive coordinator.....

I would not be totally suprised if Jerry Jones backs off on his support for Wade.....but I don't know why Jones has been so emphatic that Wade is staying.....I think its an ego thing where Jones does not want to admit that he made a mistake......but the longer he waits, the worse it will be in Dallas.

If I was Jerry Jones, I would fire myself as the GM, get a real GM - clean out the bad locker room guys (this means you T.O.) and get a real head coach who can be a players coach but also a disciplinarian.

That will be something that I don't think Jerry Jones can do - his ego is just too BIG!
    Last edited by Falconator; -12-29-2008 at 02:05 PM.

Azul e Oro is offline Registered User

I think Coughlin and GM Reese deserve a lot more credit for The Giants success defensively. Not one starter on that D-line was drafted on Spagnuolo's watch.

He was brought in to change his predecessor's "soft" D and be more Eagle-ish with blitzes,etc. Well, the D-line matured/gelled into a deep unit that doesn't need to blitz to be a sack machine and meshes well with the Lbs to stuff the run.

And the O got better by both subtraction(Barber,Shockey) and addition(jacobs,Boss) as well as maturation(Manning).

Maybe credit Spags with a scheme that uses the available personnel effectively,particularly the cohesion between DL and LBs-an area where we are pathetically inadequate- but there's no evidence that he can BUILD it with the hodgepodge of Rams on the roster.

Why do the Spag-o-philes think we would come to The Rams,anyway, when he signed the richest DC contract ever($2 MILL/YR FOR 3 YRS) just this spring? He turned down the Skins,didn't he?

Ryan looks like an heir apparent in Baltimore since he got the Asst HC title last year. Clearly he's being groomed for the next level but is he ready or willing to make a move? The Ravens love to promote from within & the guy had Haz-like love from the players when vying for Billick's spot which ultimately went to another Ravens guy in Harbaugh. I wouldn't make the move if I were Ryan.

I guess the overall point I'm trying to make is that the chemistry-or maybe alchemy is the better word since it is as much about magic as science- between the FO components(owner ,GM,money guy,HC and his coordinators) is even more important than the potential candidates' track record in a team sport where perceived success and failure are often based on the tip of the situational iceberg.

Having said that, I still like Billick based on track record. He has re-built both an offense (Minn) and a defense (Balt) and has experience at the NFL HC position. I'm not saying he's ideal; I remember his sometimes questionable game management and generally arrogant demeanor that is reminiscent of Darth Hoodie.
    But his qualifications/resume certainly earn him a place on the short list.

And if he can work with Devaney, I like our chances of longterm success, because Billick has shown he can hold up his end of a rebuilding partnership.

The Rams Magical Mystery Tour is just leaving the station. Should be a fascinating ride.

bruce4life is offline Registered User

Im cool with whoever Devaney picks because lets be honest it'll be better than whoever SHaw/Zygument picked... lol

Falconator Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Azul e Oro View Post
    I think Coughlin and GM Reese deserve a lot more credit for The Giants success defensively. Not one starter on that D-line was drafted on Spagnuolo's watch.

He was brought in to change his predecessor's "soft" D and be more Eagle-ish with blitzes,etc. Well, the D-line matured/gelled into a deep unit that doesn't need to blitz to be a sack machine and meshes well with the Lbs to stuff the run.

And the O got better by both subtraction(Barber,Shockey) and addition(jacobs,Boss) as well as maturation(Manning).

Maybe credit Spags with a scheme that uses the available personnel effectively,particularly the cohesion between DL and LBs-an area where we are pathetically inadequate- but there's no evidence that he can BUILD it with the hodgepodge of Rams on the roster.

Why do the Spag-o-philes think we would come to The Rams,anyway, when he signed the richest DC contract ever($2 MILL/YR FOR 3 YRS) just this spring? He turned down the Skins,didn't he?

Ryan looks like an heir apparent in Baltimore since he got the Asst HC title last year. Clearly he's being groomed for the next level but is he ready or willing to make a move? The Ravens love to promote from within & the guy had Haz-like love from the players when vying for Billick's spot which ultimately went to another Ravens guy in Harbaugh. I wouldn't make the move if I were Ryan.

I guess the overall point I'm trying to make is that the chemistry-or maybe alchemy is the better word since it is as much about magic as science- between the FO components(owner ,GM,money guy,HC and his coordinators) is even more important than the potential candidates' track record in a team sport where perceived success and failure are often based on the tip of the situational iceberg.

Having said that, I still like Billick based on track record. He has re-built both an offense (Minn) and a defense (Balt) and has experience at the NFL HC position. I'm not saying he's ideal; I remember his sometimes questionable game management and generally arrogant demeanor that is reminiscent of Darth Hoodie.
    But his qualifications/resume certainly earn him a place on the short list.

And if he can work with Devaney, I like our chances of longterm success, because Billick has shown he can hold up his end of a rebuilding partnership.

The Rams Magical Mystery Tour is just leaving the station. Should be a fascinating ride.
    I love Billick's game analysis on Fox Sports but as a head coach, color me "unimpressed"......Brian Billick was supposed to be an offensive guru because he happened to be the offensive coordinator when the ViQueens had Randy Moss, Cris Carter, Randall Cunningham and Robert Smith. Hell, anybody could be offensive coordinator with those weapons and look pretty dayum good. In his NINE years in Baltimore, Brian Billick never had a "top 15" offense - NINE freaking years - and his QBs sucked!!!!

Billick benefitted from Marvin Lewis, Mike Nolan and Rex Ryan's defensive schemes along with Ozzie Newsome's superior eye for defensive talent. I just don't know how you can forecast what success Brian Billick will bring a team when he's not a defensive guy and has proven not to be able to coach up average talent on offense.........

Here is some trivia for you: Brian Billick and Mike Smith(Falcons HC) have a family connection? Do you know what it is?

Ramblin` Ram is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Falconator View Post
    Here is some trivia for you: Brian Billick and Mike Smith(Falcons HC) have a family connection? Do you know what it is?

brother-inlaws

Dunno the answer. Hope it's not a Deliverance type thing.

I think you're cherry-picking history,Falconator.

Except for the great Ray Lewis,almost all the players most associated with Ravens D arrived in BB's stretch. A little sneaky to give all the credit for the D to Ozzie or the DCs but none of the blame for the O to Newsome or Fassel.I'm totally intrigued by a combo of Billick and Nolan; there have been rumors that they may come as a team. If M Lewis was such a singular influence on the Ravens D, why no similar success for him since? Doesn't the Bengals D perennially suck?

In fact, the Ravens had an excellent rushing O under BB; #1 in '03 and top 15 several other times.Again, you blame BB but not the OC Fassel or GM for the QB thing.It's also worth pointing out that after firing Fassel & calling the O himself,Billick's Ravens went 13-3 in '06. I could live with that.

In the Minn period, Carter had his best years under BB as OC.I'm sure the relationship was symbiotic.

Did he have no input on drafting Smith and the others who played in that O? Moss wasn't even there. And, ex-squeeze me, but Brad Johnson was the QB for the best of that period,not Randall.

So I stand by my assessment. BB understands a power running game , how to use the talents of O players well and, at the very least, has been around and seen how a great D gets built.
    Last edited by Azul e Oro; -12-29-2008 at 09:18 PM.

Falconator Guest

Dunno the answer. Hope it's not a Deliverance type thing.

I think you're cherry-picking history,Falconator.

Except for the great Ray Lewis,almost all the players most associated with Ravens D arrived in BB's stretch. A little sneaky to give all the credit for the D to Ozzie or the DCs but none of the blame for the O to Newsome or Fassel.I'm totally intrigued by a combo of Billick and Nolan; there have been rumors that they may come as a team. If M Lewis was such a singular influence on the Ravens D, why no similar success for him since? Doesn't the Bengals D perennially suck?

In fact, the Ravens had an excellent rushing O under BB; #1 in '03 and top 15 several other times.Again, you blame BB but not the OC Fassel or GM for the QB thing.It's also worth pointing out that after firing Fassel & calling the O himself,Billick's Ravens went 13-3 in '06. I could live with that.

In the Minn period, Carter had his best years under BB as OC.I'm sure the relationship was symbiotic.

Did he have no input on drafting Smith and the others who played in that O? Moss wasn't even there. And, ex-squeeze me, but Brad Johnson was the QB for the best of that period,not Randall.

So I stand by my assessment. BB understands a power running game , how to use the talents of O players well and, at the very least, has been around and seen how a great D gets built.
    Azul,

How do I give credit to Brian Billick for picking the defensive players when Ozzie Newsome is the GM and makes all the picks in the draft?

As far as Cris Carter's best season, that coincided more with when Randy Moss got there and Carter was not double-teamed as much.

I just think Brian Billick had some fortunate timing in being in Minnesota with an explosive offense and Baltimore with a great defensive personnel. I don't think Billick is a terrible coach - I just don't think he is as good as he has gotten credit for.......Hope I'm wrong......

Falconator Guest

brother-inlaws
    ding, ding, ding!!!!

yes, Mike Smith and Brian Billick married sisters from the same family(obviously)

Ok, so,as HC and OC , BB had no input in drafting or the overall strategy of the team personnel-wise? All just great picks by the GM ( unless they were offensive players at Baltimore or D guys at Minn; those were clearly BB's fault LOL) who turned into impact players either by themselves or any coach not named Billick?

Hmmmm....reminds me of a story a doctor friend once told me about a guy who came to the ER with a carrot up his ass. Claimed he fell down the stairs with a bag of groceries & it just..... happened.

Carter's best year for catches ,receptions,TDs,and yards was '95. Three years before Moss got there. Moss was his replacement in the scheme BB devised. Yes, they had two good years together before Carter faded & Moss became unhappy...shortly after Billick left. And the offense which had been highly productive for 6-7 years- hardly a flash-in-the-pan, tanked completely.

I'm not saying the guy is hands down our knight in shining armor but the overall history suggests he's more than a carrot up the wazoo.

Falconator Guest

Ok, so,as HC and OC , BB had no input in drafting or the overall strategy of the team personnel-wise? All just great picks by the GM ( unless they were offensive players at Baltimore or D guys at Minn; those were clearly BB's fault LOL) who turned into impact players either by themselves or any coach not named Billick?

Hmmmm....reminds me of a story a doctor friend once told me about a guy who came to the ER with a carrot up his ass. Claimed he fell down the stairs with a bag of groceries & it just..... happened.

Carter's best year for catches ,receptions,TDs,and yards was '95. Three years before Moss got there. Moss was his replacement in the scheme BB devised. Yes, they had two good years together before Carter faded & Moss became unhappy...shortly after Billick left. And the offense which had been highly productive for 6-7 years- hardly a flash-in-the-pan, tanked completely.

I'm not saying the guy is hands down our knight in shining armor but the overall history suggests he's more than a carrot up the wazoo.
    well, I don't even know what to say about your "carrot" story so I am going to leave that one alone - sounds too painful to even mention. Besides, I don't think the Ram would want the carrot "there"

If you want Brian Billick more power to you Azul....He would not be my choice....

tonyray05 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by jkramsfan View Post
    if Ryan gets the job can he bring Ray Lewis and the rest of that defense with him ?
    If anything bring the Raven's defensive attitude to the plate. Haven't seen anything like that since Fletch left.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123