Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree52Likes

Thread: Schefter: Rob Ryan hired as Defensive Coordinator!

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Schefter: Rob Ryan hired as Defensive Coordinator!

I'm not so big a fool as to believe that I know more than Fisher. But I just can't bring myself to feel good about this one. With opportunity in several situations, has Ryan ever performed at a higher than mediocre level?

"Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Rammed is offline Registered User

He comes in to run Fisher's D# and to coach up a young and upwards trending squad.
    I wasn't for the hire but seeing the boundaries already set and in place, Im beginning to like it.
    He is respected by his players as for all the accounts that I have read.

The in your face style is something Fisher wants from his D# and I think Ryan will bring that. It certainly suits the two veterans brought in last year,Finnegan and Dunbar, to bring in that mentality. And don't forget that in the way they handle themselves Williams and Ryan aren't that far apart. Fisher clearly wants a certain type heading his D#.

Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

I'm okay with this hire for two main reasons:

1) There's already a system in place. It belongs to Jeff Fisher.
    2) Ryan is a motivator. He's a guy who has been known to both endear himself to and light a fire under his players.

As a co-ordinator running his own system, Ryan hasn't had much luck. As a cog in the Fisher machine, I welcome this hire.

berg8309 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Bar-bq View Post

2) Ryan is a motivator. He's a guy who has been known to both endear himself to and light a fire under his players.

As a co-ordinator running his own system, Ryan hasn't had much luck. As a cog in the Fisher machine, I welcome this hire.
    That's about the only way I see it working. Ryan runs a 3-4 defense if he is using his own system, and we clearly don't have the players for that, he is going to have to run a 4-3 (my favorite anyway). I just hope, as others do too, that he keeps his mouth shut in the media.

macrammer is online now Registered User

I will anxiously await the 2013 season with even more enthusiasm. I cant see anything here but progress...Who would I be to question Fish.
    THOLTFAN81 and PARamfan like this.

VegasRam is offline Ram MVP

Looks like it's running about 5-1 against. I like to think I have a pretty good handle on the NFL, and other than a few video clips and juicy sound bites/lip reads, I don't recall him being that controversial.
    A), and B) I have not seen ONE alternate suggestion for DC.

Besides, what's wrong with animated?
    Actually, I take that back - I just LOVED watching Linehan on the sidelines.
    THOLTFAN81 likes this.
    "the Heart Lies and the Head Plays Tricks with us, but the Eyes See True".

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

Maybe Ryan can do a little recruiting for us...

Anthony Spencer is a UFA. I wouldn't mind seeing him brought in to fill the SLB spot.
    THOLTFAN81 likes this.

bruce4life is offline Registered User
    If he can bring in Jay Ratliff I'm all for it...
    THOLTFAN81 likes this.

RebelYell is offline Registered User

I have zero problem with this hire. Defensive ranking is worthless unless you include the influence the offense puts on the defensive squad. When you look at the performance of the Raiders - they were walking out there with the worst offensive units in the NFL almost every year. Same problem with the Browns. If the offense is doing a 3 and out most of the time, the stress on the defense is unbearable. We saw this with the Rams several years ago.

If you like Fisher at all, you have to trust he knows the person he's hiring at defensive coordinator.
    evil disco man and MauiRam like this.

VegasRam is offline Ram MVP

And....quick, name a DC that turned a D around quickly, with the SAME roster.

I am pulling these numbers out of my ***, but percentage-wise, I'd say D is 10/10/60/20 coaching/scheme/players/attitude.

Matter of fact, (pure conjecture), maybe Fisher, having instilled the mindset he wants from the D, is now, rightfully so , turning his attention to the Offense, and telling Ryan "this is where we are, and here's how I want it run. I'm gonna' concentrate on the O. You in?"

I've always kind of chuckled at the "he's a (O- or D-) minded coach. How do you design a D without an understanding of the O. Think about it. Yeah, I know, it's a reach, but I'll bet Martz could have out-coached Marmie.

Rams'll be fine.
    RamDez likes this.
    "the Heart Lies and the Head Plays Tricks with us, but the Eyes See True".

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

I've never been a big Ryan fan, but he's our DC now and I'm going to trust that Fisher knows what he's doing. It'll be interesting to see if he shakes things up or makes any meaningful changes. I will say this, the Rams defense became a confident group this year, and under Ryan, I'm hoping they develop his swagger and become a top tier unit in 2013.

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by RebelYell View Post
    I have zero problem with this hire. Defensive ranking is worthless unless you include the influence the offense puts on the defensive squad. When you look at the performance of the Raiders - they were walking out there with the worst offensive units in the NFL almost every year. Same problem with the Browns. If the offense is doing a 3 and out most of the time, the stress on the defense is unbearable. We saw this with the Rams several years ago.

If you like Fisher at all, you have to trust he knows the person he's hiring at defensive coordinator.
    Good point! I'll venture that there is a limit as to how far good coaching can take a team. Players ultimately win or lose games. As far as the 4-3 or 3-4 defense goes, I cannot imagine that Rob Ryan would have any problems running the 4-3. It's still defense, and he's certainly familiar with both. The Rams are currently built for the 4-3 and Jeff is captain of the ship.

Rob is moving into a vastly different culture in coming to St. Louis. Fisher is God here, and Jerry Jones was God in Dallas. Last I heard, old monkey face is insisting on having Jason G. give up his playcalling duties, and fire his younger brother. What a wonderful culture there huh? Great having your owner second guess your every move right? I'd love to hear Rob's "off the record" commentary on what it's like working for Jerry J.

Fish has already established his defense here, and is known for letting his coaches coach. Additionally will be no "meddling" from Silent Stan. If Fish had one iota of doubt about Rob's ability to coach players within his system, this thread wouldn't even exist. As others have already commented, Jeff knows what he is doing. I am looking forward to an exciting season next summer, and Rob will add to that ..
    RealRam likes this.

cfh128 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Bar-bq View Post

I think this hits the nail on the head right here. Our defense played quite well last season with Blake Williams as the de facto coordinator. Unless you believe that Blake Williams is better suited for this job than Rob Ryan, then logic dictates that our coaching and defense should see some sort of improvement. And I agree with those who have commented on Ryan's animated motivation style. I look forward to an agressive, attitute packed defense and I approve of this hire.
    THOLTFAN81 likes this.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

I read somewhere (can't remember where) the hold up in signing RYAN was the Twinkie clause in his contract!
    RamDez likes this.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

I've mulled it over, and while I'm still cautious, I guess I will have to default to In Jeff We Trust. However, I will say, if Ryan will gel his hair into a pair of Ram horns each Sunday, then I'm all in. Of course, he will have to be careful because if he pulls the Ram horns too tight, he will be straight up Princess Leia. And that will completely ruin every image of my childhood. (Although at their current age, it would be hard to distinguish between Ryan and Carrie Fisher.)
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast