Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree36Likes

Thread: Schefter: Saffold returning to St. Louis to sign five-year deal

Haste is offline Registered User

Re: Schefter: Saffold returning to St. Louis to sign five-year deal

I hope the contract is less than $6 mil per, especially if our first offer was up to $7.5 including incentives. The market is now pretty much dried up with offers for him.

On another note, where does Oakland go from here? With all that cap room, I don't believe they have signed anyone really.

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

You might need a healthy shoulder when playing LT and reaching out to get your hands on speed rushers, but the limited space that a guard plays you could play that position with no arms!!

Welcom back Roger, here's to seeing you improving at Guard. A right side of Saffold and Greg Robinson would be so beastly it's untrue!

As for where the Raiders go, you have to think they will need to take an OT in the draft, possibly with the #5 overall pick
    RealRam likes this.

chucknbob is offline Registered User

I'm glad to see him back. He's very good at Guard, and it's nice to have someone that can fall into a tackle position if we need him to.

They were talking about this on Sirius this morning, and they said that the Rams had performed an exit physical, and he had passed that. I doubt anything had happened to his shoulder in the last couple of weeks, so this was either a difference of opinion between doctors, or the owner just wanted an out. Based on the reaction of the fan base and the media on the Saffold contract in Oakland, I bet it was the latter.

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

The Raiders were going to play Saffold at LG... Why is everyone talking about him at LT? Their apparent plan was to have Menelik Watson who they drafted in the 2nd round at LT, Saffold LG, and newly signed Austin Howard at RT.

THE DREAM TEAM

RuffRams is offline Registered User

Well then, thats a lot of money for a G thats injured all the time. Either way, glad it worked out for us and we don't worry too much about OL now. Still draft a T in the first 2 rounds.

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Here's his contract according to Adam Schefter:

"OT Rodger Saffold and Rams reached agreement on 5-yr, $31.7M deal that includes $19.5M gtd. Saffold has option to void deal after 3 years."

THE DREAM TEAM

RebelYell is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by sosa39rams View Post
    The Raiders were going to play Saffold at LG... Why is everyone talking about him at LT? Their apparent plan was to have Menelik Watson who they drafted in the 2nd round at LT, Saffold LG, and newly signed Austin Howard at RT.
    Watson isn't their LT. He's a multi-year project who was injured and unable to practice most of last year. When they threw him in at the end of the year because of injuries to starters, he was horrible at RT. It was reported last year that the Raiders were extremely disappointed in his play.

Mikey is offline Registered User

"OT Rodger Saffold and Rams reached agreement on 5-yr, $31.7M deal that includes $19.5M gtd. Saffold has option to void deal after 3 years."
    $6.34 million per year. Going to extend out to a lot of money when he misses half the year. Great player IF he's healthy. I'm curious who we play the first preseason game this year and if he gets hurt on the first play again.

Mikey is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RebelYell View Post
    Watson isn't their LT. He's a multi-year project who was injured and unable to practice most of last year. When they threw him in at the end of the year because of injuries to starters, he was horrible at RT. It was reported last year that the Raiders were extremely disappointed in his play.
    Yet the Raiders have said many times they wanted Saffold to play LG next to Watkins at LT.
    sosa39rams likes this.

Rammed is offline Registered User

Class act our FO, looks like the deal that was in place before FA. Shows that you can deal with them and I think that's good for current and future FAs. Demoff even called the Raiders several times per J Thomas to confirm the shoulder was fine and he was examined several times.

Ram Dragoon is offline Registered User

Not exactly time for my Happy Dance. Its a little steep paying $6+Mill for a fragile Lineman. Still, its one less consideration for who or what to draft or pickup in FA. Just need to make darn sure the Rams get some extra depth for the line.

Never thought the Raiders organization had class and I wonder why--well here is an example of Raider class. I feel sorry for Saffold, getting all dressed up for the dance and the prom queen doesn't show up--now that is walking away with egg on your face. Pity Saffold doesn't play defensive tackle--am sure he would be extra motivated to plant a Raiders QB should the Rams meet the Raiders. Hell I might consider just putting him in as DT just for that game should it arise and stack Quinn/Brockers/O-tree opposite flank just so he would have free rush on their QB
    RamFan_Til_I_Die likes this.

mde8352gorams is offline Registered User

I'm enjoying the fact that Rodger is back with us. I'm particularly enjoying the irony that the one issue that we were most concerned over (his durability) is what brought him back.

In the film Chinatown, Faye Dunaway says to Jack Nicholson towards the end of the film, "it's Chinatown", knowing he would understand the inference that strange things can happen there. Well to Rodger I say, "it's the Raiders".

Welcome home Rodger, now let's get to work.

Go Rams!

AtlantaRamFan is offline Registered User

Glad he's back, however it happened. It'll be interesting to see how the contract is structured. With the cap going up over the next few years, 6 mil could end up being a bargain at the end of the contract. I don't like that Saffold has the void option though. Seems a bit odd that you'd give the player control over that, but either way I'm glad the RG position is filled.

VegasRam is offline Ram MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    If it's anywhere near the money Oakland offered him I might start crying.
    Me too - (already am).

I like Saffold and am glad he's back, but I really don't get the contract. It's pretty generally accepted that the gauranteed money is the only real number in a contract, and if reports are true, Saffold is only getting $1.5M less with the Rams than with the "stupid" deal in Oakland.

Now, again if true, if that's the same deal the Rams originally offered, then Saffold walked for $300,000 a year. (Side note - CA taxes probably takes that and more). Why would a guy do that? Don't get it.

Also, I agree with Bernie (which is rare), when he questions why the Rams were so quick to resign him.
    If he walked for (relatively) little money, (which I don't begrudge him), then it appears he was pissed at the Rams, who apparently welcomed him back with open arms.

Looks like they are very concerned about their Oline. Hope more comes out on this story - kinda' interesting.
    "the Heart Lies and the Head Plays Tricks with us, but the Eyes See True".

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

I'm guessing most of that guaranteed money is all of his first year salary, part of his second year salary, and a signing bonus. It could be structured similar to Jake Long's deal in that the Rams can dump the contract without dead money after a couple of seasons. I think that would be in their best interest, because I just don't know how anyone can bank on him being a 16-game starter for multiple seasons going forward.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast