Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Schefter: Zygmunt could go with Linehan, Ellard could take over

Whoís waiting in the wings for St. Louis?
    Posted: Adam Schefter | Adam Schefter | Tags: Al Saunders, Scott Linehan, St. Louis Rams

No matter how many calls there are for Scott Linehanís job in St. Louis, Rams management is determined not to fire its head coach this season unless the situation deteriorates and fans stay away from games.

After the season, anything is possible. But this season, the Rams preference is to wait.

Yet, if the situation should deteriorate, the changes could be radical. Linehan and top executive Jay Zygmunt now are fully aligned, and if one goes, both are likely to go. And if the Rams decide to make an in-season change, many expect that offensive coordinator Al Saunders and defensive coordinator Jim Haslett would be the logical interim successors as head coach.

But do not forget about Rams assistant Henry Ellard, who has drawn the attention of the organization. Ellard is practically a Rams lifer, a successful player for the organization and now the wide receivers coach, a position he has held since 2001. He might be the leading candidate to take over if the Rams resort to doing what they donít want to this season.

makersncoke is offline Registered User

Re: Schefter: Zygmunt could go with Linehan, Ellard could take over

Ellard would be a good choice in the interim, he surely could do no worse than Linehan has. My question is why wait? If the season does go in the tank, why wait till the off-season to make a move? Strike while the iron is hot baby!!!!!!!!!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

AlphaRam is offline Registered User

If we get blown out today, fire Linehan and Jay.

I heard a woman behind me at the game last week that say that she was going to wear her Cowboys jersey to the game when we play Dallas. I about f'ing threw up right there, but the pure rage kept down the vomit.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

jkramsfan is offline Registered User

didn't they learn last year that if the team plays like crap the fans don't show up so why would it be any different this season,if we start 0-4 turn the keys over to Ellard and go from there.

Mooselini is offline Registered User

Good. These guys need to go. Both of them. I could handle keeping Haslett as long as Saunders stays. If we get a new coach, maybe he can smack some sense into Haslett. Either way, I like how they are being threatened. Maybe something will get pulled together.

But as said today, if we get blown away today, by more than 17 points, these guys go TODAY. I'm calling a head hunt.

moloch41 is offline Registered User

Could someone explain why Hasbeenlett's name keeps coming up in these discussions? The defense is just flat out awful this season and has not been better than bottom third of the league since he took over.

RamsFanSam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Don't wait. If we lose today, Chip needs to be waiting at the airport in St. Louis with two pink slips in hand...one for Linny, and the other one for Linny to give Ziggy. Then, Chip needs to find the next flight out to LA to find Marshall. I'd take him as WR coach in Ellard's place, or up in the FO in Ziggy's spot...heck, I'd take Marshall as owner!

39thebeast is offline Registered User

i say give ellard a shot depending on how he does clear the whole thing out and let the head coach rebuild to his preference

Varg6 is offline Registered User

Honestly, I'd rather have a really bad season this year and get rid of the people who have been keeping this organization from going anywhere rather than having a bunch of lucky games and keeping Zygmunt and Linehan...We need change in every tier of this organization, from top to bottom.

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

jkramsfan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Varg6 View Post
    Honestly, I'd rather have a really bad season this year and get rid of the people who have been keeping this organization from going anywhere rather than having a bunch of lucky games and keeping Zygmunt and Linehan...We need change in every tier of this organization, from top to bottom.
    you make a valid point,by keeping those two jackasses we are just putting a band-aid on the situation but it won't stop the bleeding over the whole season.

RamOfDenmark is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Varg6 View Post
    I agree. I hope Zygmunt will be forced out, but so far every time there has been any kind of change Zygmunt has managed to deflect blame and float higher up in the organisation so I'm not holding my breath for him to be fired. And as moloch41 said, why does Haslett's name keep coming up in discussions for interim head coach? Why? Look at our defense it's a joke and he's had several years to fix it, how many more excuses does he get? Larry Marmie was ridiculed for his defense, well Haslett's is the same or worse and he's had plenty of time and draft picks to make the changes he wanted and it hasn't changed.

Clean house, top to bottom. Ideally new owner, completely new management new HC, new DC - but I can live without a new owner if the current one grows some balls and makes those other changes.

Oh and they're waiting for it to deteriorate further? How could it be any worse if I may ask? Do we need to be shut out every week or what? We're DEAD LAST in all major categories in the league and get this they're waiting for things to deteriorate more?!?!? What are they afraid to destroy the fine chemistry we have now?

OUT WITH LINEHAN, ZYGMUNT AND HASLETT. The triumvirate of ineptitude.
    Last edited by RamOfDenmark; -09-21-2008 at 01:53 PM.

eldfan is offline Registered User

I love Henry Ellard when he played wr's I think he would do a good job as coach
    :ramlogo:

PARamfan is offline Registered User

I hate to be the 1 to bring this up as I can't say I'm the biggest Martz fan as Head Coach,BUT this organization didn't have any problem pulling the trigger on dumping Martz mid season 3 years ago and I think he did a hell of a lot more for this team than Linny can ever dream of.Why is this decision so tough to make when it wasn't with Martz.It baffles the mind.NO it doesn't,it's the same sorry ass FO that's run our beloved Rams into the ground for the past almost 30 years.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by PARamfan View Post
    this organization didn't have any problem pulling the trigger on dumping Martz mid season 3 years ago
    Martz wasn't fired mid-season. He was fired in January the day after the Rams' final regular season game that year.

Chris58 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by PARamfan View Post
    I hate to be the 1 to bring this up as I can't say I'm the biggest Martz fan as Head Coach,BUT this organization didn't have any problem pulling the trigger on dumping Martz mid season 3 years ago and I think he did a hell of a lot more for this team than Linny can ever dream of.Why is this decision so tough to make when it wasn't with Martz.It baffles the mind.NO it doesn't,it's the same sorry ass FO that's run our beloved Rams into the ground for the past almost 30 years.
    Maybe SL will come up with a mysterious ailment and miss the rest of the season like Mad Mike Martz did. The question is, do we have a crazy Joe Vitt type to replace SL with??

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast