• 1 Post By Rambos
  • 1 Post By THOLTFAN81
  • 1 Post By sosa39rams
  • 1 Post By Dwight Frye
  • 1 Post By Flippin' Ram
  • 2 Post By tomahawk247
  • 7 Post By HUbison
  • 1 Post By Fat Pang

Thread: Schottenheimer defends his system ..

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Schottenheimer defends his system ..

BY JIM THOMAS | Posted: Wednesday, January 25, 2012 12:20 am

MOBILE, ALA. Brian Schottenheimer had been out of New York for little more than a week when his former head coach, Rex Ryan, delivered a parting gift. Or parting shot.

In the wake of a late-season collapse that left the Jets at 8-8 and out of the playoffs, Ryan told a New York radio station that Schottenheimer's verbiage the language of calling plays and discussing the offense was too complicated.

On Tuesday, during his introductory conference call as the Rams' new offensive coordinator, Schottenheimer returned volley.

Asked if his verbiage was too complicated, Schottenheimer replied: "I don't. I really don't. I think it's one of those situations where as you go through the thing, we're going to do things that our players know and understand well.

"I do not think that the verbiage is a problem. And if it ever became that, I would hope that somebody spoke up and came to me and said, 'Hey the verbiage is too much.' But that's never happened in my career."

A 'somebody" like, say Ryan.

Schottenheimer's verbiage no longer is the Jets' problem. He and the Jets had a parting of the ways following the 2011 regular season. Some have interpreted that as Schottenheimer being pushed out the door fired, because he had time left on his contract. But he said Tuesday he was ready for a change.

Would he still be with the Jets had they not lost their last three games?

"I don't think so," he replied. "I believe that change is positive. Having been there for six years, I can look back on all those great games and comeback victories. ... But I was excited about the possibility of a change and I quite honestly couldn't be more pleased with how it ended up that I'm here in St. Louis working for a guy that is just a terrific head coach."

The verbiage issue is one of interest in St. Louis now that Schottenheimer is on coach Jeff Fisher's staff, particularly with quarterback Sam Bradford about to learn his third offense in three seasons.

Schottenheimer grew up in coaching with the "digit" system of play-calling, a staple of the "Air Coryell" offense of former coaching great Don Coryell. In that system, for example, pass routes are called by numbers. Hence the game-winning touchdown pass to Isaac Bruce in Super Bowl XXXIV, against Fisher's Tennessee Titans, was "9-9-9 H balloon." (Mike Martz, Rams offensive coordinator at the time, was a Coryell disciple.)

At the Senior Bowl on Tuesday, one coach familiar with the Jets' offense said Schottenheimer actually altered the way plays were called using more concepts and fewer digits in the system to help quarterback Mark Sanchez.

Schottenheimer, who met Bradford on Monday, said Bradford should have no trouble getting the verbiage down.

"Sam and I, as we work through the process and get things going here in a few months, it will not be a problem," Schottenheimer said. "I understand how smart he is and how much he wants to work and is excited about the opportunity."

In reality, Schottenheimer said there are only so many kinds of routes you can run and so many kinds of running plays.

"We all have the same plays," he said.

Over the years, he has been exposed to enough systems that he'll be able to quickly "translate" any differences in terminology while Bradford is learning the playbook.

"I know some of the things that Josh (McDaniels) was doing," Schottenheimer said of the man he is replacing. "I know some of the things that Sam did his first year under (former offensive coordinator) Pat Shurmur, so I can kind of translate a lot of those languages. But it will be certainly different."

Schottenheimer is working his way through tape of Bradford's Rams games; he's about 12 to 14 games through 2010, Bradoford's rookie year. He had yet to delve into 2011.

"Obviously, he's extremely gifted, extremely talented," Schottenheimer siad. "I'm watching the film, getting a sense of how accurate he is with the football and how well he actually moves around and has made plays.

"That was one of the things that jumped off the film at me. But it'll be a fun process going through and looking at all the games and just getting a sense of where he's at. I've been around a lot of young quarterbacks, but I think this guy's got a chance to be real special."

As he studies Bradford, Schottenheimer also is going through the process of finding a quarterbacks coach, something the Rams didn't have last season.

"That was one of the first things Jeff and I talked about," Schottenheimer said. "It's something that I really, truly believe in as well. The quarterback needs to be taught no different than everybody else. There's fundamentals, there's techniques that need to be taught and stressed. ... We will obviously look at a lot of different people and it will be a very
    jmk321 likes this.

mde8352gorams is offline Registered User

Re: Schottenheimer defends his system ..

First the best news in this article is the he's looking to hire a QB coach, which will help Sam develop. I first read this on ESPN.com so I know it to be a fact. Second, if Brian is a Coryell disciple that means a lot of pass plays. How does that square with Fisher's run first offense? The good news in this is that I interpret a strong desire for us to draft Justin Blackmon, providing he has a solid combine performance. Blackmon is felt to be best suited for a West Coast offense, which Schottenheimer alludes to in this article.

Go Rams!
    THOLTFAN81 likes this.

Rambos is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by MauiRam View Post
    BY JIM THOMAS • | Posted: Wednesday, January 25, 2012 12:20 am

MOBILE, ALA. • Brian Schottenheimer had been out of New York for little more than a week when his former head coach, Rex Ryan, delivered a parting gift. Or parting shot.

In the wake of a late-season collapse that left the Jets at 8-8 and out of the playoffs, Ryan told a New York radio station that Schottenheimer's verbiage — the language of calling plays and discussing the offense — was too complicated.

On Tuesday, during his introductory conference call as the Rams' new offensive coordinator, Schottenheimer returned volley.

Asked if his verbiage was too complicated, Schottenheimer replied: "I don't. I really don't. I think it's one of those situations where as you go through the thing, we're going to do things that our players know and understand well.

"I do not think that the verbiage is a problem. And if it ever became that, I would hope that somebody spoke up and came to me and said, 'Hey the verbiage is too much.' But that's never happened in my career."

A 'somebody" like, say Ryan.

Schottenheimer's verbiage no longer is the Jets' problem. He and the Jets had a parting of the ways following the 2011 regular season. Some have interpreted that as Schottenheimer being pushed out the door — fired, because he had time left on his contract. But he said Tuesday he was ready for a change.

Would he still be with the Jets had they not lost their last three games?

"I don't think so," he replied. "I believe that change is positive. Having been there for six years, I can look back on all those great games and comeback victories. ... But I was excited about the possibility of a change and I quite honestly couldn't be more pleased with how it ended up — that I'm here in St. Louis working for a guy that is just a terrific head coach."

The verbiage issue is one of interest in St. Louis now that Schottenheimer is on coach Jeff Fisher's staff, particularly with quarterback Sam Bradford about to learn his third offense in three seasons.

Schottenheimer grew up in coaching with the "digit" system of play-calling, a staple of the "Air Coryell" offense of former coaching great Don Coryell. In that system, for example, pass routes are called by numbers. Hence the game-winning touchdown pass to Isaac Bruce in Super Bowl XXXIV, against Fisher's Tennessee Titans, was "9-9-9 H balloon." (Mike Martz, Rams offensive coordinator at the time, was a Coryell disciple.)

At the Senior Bowl on Tuesday, one coach familiar with the Jets' offense said Schottenheimer actually altered the way plays were called — using more concepts and fewer digits in the system — to help quarterback Mark Sanchez.

Schottenheimer, who met Bradford on Monday, said Bradford should have no trouble getting the verbiage down.

"Sam and I, as we work through the process and get things going here in a few months, it will not be a problem," Schottenheimer said. "I understand how smart he is and how much he wants to work and is excited about the opportunity."

In reality, Schottenheimer said there are only so many kinds of routes you can run and so many kinds of running plays.

"We all have the same plays," he said.

Over the years, he has been exposed to enough systems that he'll be able to quickly "translate" any differences in terminology while Bradford is learning the playbook.

"I know some of the things that Josh (McDaniels) was doing," Schottenheimer said of the man he is replacing. "I know some of the things that Sam did his first year under (former offensive coordinator) Pat Shurmur, so I can kind of translate a lot of those languages. But it will be certainly different."

Schottenheimer is working his way through tape of Bradford's Rams games; he's about 12 to 14 games through 2010, Bradoford's rookie year. He had yet to delve into 2011.

"Obviously, he's extremely gifted, extremely talented," Schottenheimer siad. "I'm watching the film, getting a sense of how accurate he is with the football and how well he actually moves around and has made plays.

"That was one of the things that jumped off the film at me. But it'll be a fun process going through and looking at all the games and just getting a sense of where he's at. I've been around a lot of young quarterbacks, but I think this guy's got a chance to be real special."

As he studies Bradford, Schottenheimer also is going through the process of finding a quarterbacks coach, something the Rams didn't have last season.

"That was one of the first things Jeff and I talked about," Schottenheimer said. "It's something that I really, truly believe in as well. The quarterback needs to be taught no different than everybody else. There's fundamentals, there's techniques that need to be taught and stressed. ... We will obviously look at a lot of different people and it will be a very

"Obviously, he's extremely gifted, extremely talented," Schottenheimer said. "I'm watching the film, getting a sense of how accurate he is with the football and how well he actually moves around and has made plays.

Yeah what happened to rolling out and throwing on the run. Bring it back!
    THOLTFAN81 likes this.

THOLTFAN81 is offline Registered User

On just an overall personal note, what he will bring to the Rams aside, I love this quote. It is quite true. If Rex thought the 'verbiage' and scheme was too complicated, why did Rex wait three years and Schotty to be fired to bring this to light? Coward and scapegoat are two words that come to mind.

Jets Rams is the out of division game I am already most excited for..
    NJ Ramsfan1 likes this.

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by THOLTFAN81 View Post

On just an overall personal note, what he will bring to the Rams aside, I love this quote. It is quite true. If Rex thought the 'verbiage' and scheme was too complicated, why did Rex wait three years and Schotty to be fired to bring this to light? Coward and scapegoat are two words that come to mind.

Jets Rams is the out of division game I am already most excited for..
    Rex is a loser who will put blame on anyone but himself.
    THOLTFAN81 likes this.

Dwight Frye is offline Registered User

He's a college graduate.
    With a 60 million dollar contract.
    ... who couldn't understand the verbiage.
    Did you cheat your way thru college?

Quote: "This is just the beginning," Sanchez said. "I'll be working every day to justify this contract."
    Pleez ..... moron.
    Last edited by Dwight Frye; -01-26-2012 at 01:55 AM.
    THOLTFAN81 likes this.
    If a team won their division seven straight times, that would be a NFL record. Now add on that team did it with seven different QB's in seven straight years,that record is unbeatable. To do that feat, you must of had a great Defense. Jack Youngblood was the captain of that defense.

Flippin' Ram is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Frye View Post
    He's a college graduate.
    With a 60 million dollar contract.
    ... who couldn't understand the verbiage.
    Did you cheat your way thru college?

Quote: "This is just the beginning," Sanchez said. "I'll be working every day to justify this contract."
    Pleez ..... moron.
    You forgot that he played at USC.
    Go figure.
    THOLTFAN81 likes this.

RockinRam is offline Registered User

Young Scotty sounds interesting. I'll give him a chance before I criticize.

tomahawk247 is online now Registered User

Wait, Sanchez had problems with the digit system? The digit system is so basic that our offense in the UK uses it!! How is the verbiage difficult when you have to say three numbers?
    THOLTFAN81 and TekeRam like this.

ManofGod is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by tomahawk247 View Post
    Wait, Sanchez had problems with the digit system? The digit system is so basic that our offense in the UK uses it!! How is the verbiage difficult when you have to say three numbers?
    Remember he only played 1 season with USC & the offense he ran there was very, very, very basic as many college offenses are today so that they can work with the more......(how should I say this nicely)hard to learn individuals that come to college, but really only made it there due to their athletic abilities.

tomahawk247 is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by ManofGod View Post
    Remember he only played 1 season with USC & the offense he ran there was very, very, very basic as many college offenses are today so that they can work with the more......(how should I say this nicely)hard to learn individuals that come to college, but really only made it there due to their athletic abilities.
    But still, knowing that Schotty calls plays using the digit system and that Sanchez found it difficult seems to suggest to me that the issues in NY were more to do with Sanchez then Schotty

HUbison is online now Superbowl MVP

Fortunately for everyone, the Jets film guy is a good friend of mine. He made me a transcript from one of the film sessions with Rex, Sanchez, and Schotty. It should help to clear things up:

Schotty: Okay, Mark, on this play we were set up for the 971 with the double slots. If the corner sticks the fade, you still have your choice of the slot-corner, motion-slot-in or flanker-curl. It all depends on the deep safety read.

Sanchez: So dude, like, what you're sayin' is.....dude.....wait, what?

Ryan: Don't we have any doughnuts around here?

Schotty: Okay, forget that one. Here's the very simple 52 Hot route. You've got max protect. Hit either the End in a 5-Out or the Split on a 10-Hook. It's one or the other!

Sanchez: Hey, did you guys see American Idol last night? Dang, J-Lo is smokin'.

Ryan: Are you sure there's no doughnuts in here? Screw it; I'm hitting up a Dunkin', and probably a McD on the way there........and then a Pizza Hut on the way back.

Holmes: Hey, just popped in to let you dirty b**ches know that I ain't doin' s**t this Sunday, and you can't make me. Peace out.

Sanchez: Who was that guy? He looked familliar.

Ryan: Pull my fing...---farts---.....oh, too late.
    thoey, laram0, THOLTFAN81 and 4 others like this.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

TekeRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by tomahawk247 View Post
    When I heard Rex throwing Schotty under the bus for the "verbiage," I thought to myself, "oh, great, we're getting one of those codeword foreign language offenses." But wait... he uses the Coryell number system? The play tells you what the play is. Literally.

In Hub's 971 play, the X runs a 9(fly), the Y runs a 7(corner), and the Z runs a 1(drag), according to original Coryell route tree. There is usually then a couple words that follow that route combo that describe what the backs and linemen do, but that usually only two to three words. Six, maybe seven syllables. And the Sanchise and Sexy Rexy couldn't understand it.

Well, I'm not all that surprised.
    I believe!

gap
    gap is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    Fortunately for everyone, the Jets film guy is a good friend of mine. He made me a transcript from one of the film sessions with Rex, Sanchez, and Schotty. It should help to clear things up:

Schotty: Okay, Mark, on this play we were set up for the 971 with the double slots. If the corner sticks the fade, you still have your choice of the slot-corner, motion-slot-in or flanker-curl. It all depends on the deep safety read.

Sanchez: So dude, like, what you're sayin' is.....dude.....wait, what?

Ryan: Don't we have any doughnuts around here?

Schotty: Okay, forget that one. Here's the very simple 52 Hot route. You've got max protect. Hit either the End in a 5-Out or the Split on a 10-Hook. It's one or the other!

Sanchez: Hey, did you guys see American Idol last night? Dang, J-Lo is smokin'.

Ryan: Are you sure there's no doughnuts in here? Screw it; I'm hitting up a Dunkin', and probably a McD on the way there........and then a Pizza Hut on the way back.

Holmes: Hey, just popped in to let you dirty b**ches know that I ain't doin' s**t this Sunday, and you can't make me. Peace out.

Sanchez: Who was that guy? He looked familliar.

Ryan: Pull my fing...---farts---.....oh, too late.
    This is just tooooooo funny. Still laughing as I type this.

gap

Fat Pang is offline Registered User

Doesn't have to defend his system here he just has to make it work.

THOLTFAN81 likes this.