throwback week

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Schotty 'Felt Good' About Last Play vs. Seattle

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Schotty 'Felt Good' About Last Play vs. Seattle

Schotty 'felt good' about last play vs. Seattle

10 hours ago • By Jim Thomas jthomas@post-dispatch.com 314-340-8197

As in most games, offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer said there were several play calls he’d like to have back in the Rams’ 14-9 Monday night loss to Seattle.

But the final play of the game wasn’t one of them.

“That was one I felt very good about,” Schottenheimer said.

On fourth-and-goal from the 1, quarterback Kellen Clemens threw a fade pattern into the left corner of the end zone that fell incomplete to intended receiver Brian Quick, who was well covered on the play by Seattle cornerback Brandon Browner.

“On fourth down we went with kind of our ‘got-to-have-it’ play,” Schottenheimer said. “We have a number of plays, but usually the menu’s got about two or three. Those are our ‘got-to-have-its.’ Those are what we call quite a bit.”

In other words, those are plays that have been successful in the past and plays that the coaching staff feels have the best chance of success in that situation.

“Yeah, absolutely,” Schottenheimer said. “We’ve thrown a couple touchdown passes on it. You’ve got to give them credit. They made a good play. They brought an all-out blitz, and 39 (Browner) got a good quick jam on ‘Quickie,’ and he couldn’t find the ball.”

On the play, running back Zac Stacy went in motion to the left — the side where Quick had lined up — leaving an empty backfield. Schottenheimer wouldn’t second-guess himself on that alignment. Although it basically told the Seattle defense that the Rams weren’t going to run the football, Schottenheimer said going empty also has some advantages for the offense.

“The good thing about the empty backfield is it kind of shows what they’re getting ready to do (on defense),” Schottenheimer said. “Makes it easy for the quarterback to see. It undresses some of their blitzes.”

The Rams are the only team in the NFL without a rushing touchdown this season, and that’s been the case for a few weeks.

“Obviously, we ran it on third down, thought we could maybe get in there,” Schottenheimer said. “(Seattle) got some penetration up front, and Daryl (Richardson) couldn’t get through.”

The Rams loaded up with four tight ends on that play, with Richardson running towards the left guard area. Pulling right guard Shelley Smith, in for the injured Harvey Dahl, couldn’t quite get to his block on Seahawks linebacker Hearth Farwell who tackled Richardson for a loss of about half a yard.

The Rams have had lots of success throwing the ball inside the 20 this season. Thirteen of their 14 touchdown passes have come in the red zone. And 10 of those TD tosses have come from six yards or closer to the end zone.

“In that situation, I always think it’s good to give your quarterback some options,” Schottenheimer said. “That play gives us a lot of options based on what they do. In that situation, they made the play, and we didn’t.”

INJURY UPDATE

LT Jake Long (knee), C Scott Wells (thigh), WR Austin Pettis (thigh), and Stacy (ankle) all returned to practice Thursday and were full participation after sitting out Wednesday.

But DE Robert Quinn (illness), CB Brandon McGee (illness), and QB Brady Quinn (hip) were new additions to the injury report Thursday; all three practiced Wednesday. Clemens (shoulder) was full go after being limited Wednesday; Richardson (toe/foot) was limited after not practicing Wednesday.

And it’s looking more and more like RB Benny Cunningham will be available in the backfield. He was full participation for the second day in a row, and he appeared to be moving well, after missing the past two games with an ankle injury.

RAM-BLINGS

For the second day in a row, steady rain forced the team to practice indoors. ... Coach Jeff Fisher also moved practice back a few hours for the second day in a row, giving the players a little more rest and time to get their body clocks right after the Monday night game. ... Sunday’s game with Tennessee at the Edward Jones Dome will be televised locally at noon.

Re: Schotty 'Felt Good' About Last Play vs. Seattle

“On fourth down we went with kind of our ‘got-to-have-it’ play,” Schottenheimer said. “We have a number of plays, but usually the menu’s got about two or three. Those are our ‘got-to-have-its.’ Those are what we call quite a bit.”

In other words, those are plays that have been successful in the past and plays that the coaching staff feels have the best chance of success in that situation.

“Yeah, absolutely,” Schottenheimer said. “We’ve thrown a couple touchdown passes on it.
    The problem is, those successful fades were thrown by Bradford, not Clemens, who didn't come close to giving Quick a chance at making a play on the ball. Just a bad decision on so many levels.
    PARamfan and NJ Ramsfan1 like this.

mde8352gorams is offline Registered User

Absolutely, Bradford has thrown those successfully, not Clemens. My other beef was why was this thrown to Quick instead of Pettis who has a better track record with those passes. I'm over it. We have to move on otherwise we'll drive ourselves insane over that game. What a heartbreaker nonetheless.

I was very pleased to read that Stacy is back at practice. I hope he's a go for Sunday. Would be a big difference maker for us.

Go Rams!

AtlantaRamFan is offline Registered User

I...I don't know that I have words for this. This is either a unique level of denial or incredible stubbornness . And that's what concerns me. There's no "Yeah guys, I screwed that one up. We should have picked up the blitz and thrown a high % completion play."

Nope. We get the "That was one of our most successful plays" line. I know I vented some frustration in the other thread on this about Fisher, and you could pretty much copy/paste that in here, but I just don't see how that play with those personnel is your "got to have it". If you've got Calvin Johnson out there, sure, no argument from me. But come on...We've been watching all year. And we watched Clemens all game. Did he not?

Oh and I almost forgot. Yeah there are good things about an empty backfield. Of course, or no one would ever do it. But you know the bad things about an empty backfield? No pass protection on the blitz it undresses. The more I read Shotty's comments the more I think the Rams might be better off moving on to a new OC sooner rather than later.

Flippin' Ram is offline Registered User

Man they're just trying to keep Clemons's confident level as high as possible.

♪ R.I.P. Nujabes ♫
    Your beat still laments the world

mh-i is offline Registered User

Yes, have a QB that hasn't played throw a touch pass to a WR who has no track record of making big plays and who basically has looked raw and unpolished as a Ram. Made no sense at all.

vanillasue is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
    As in most games, offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer said there were several play calls he’d like to have back in the Rams’ 14-9 Monday night loss to Seattle.
    Glad to see he has confirmed what many of us have said in this forum regarding his poor performance week in and week out.

Yodude is offline Registered User

Man, I really hate to suggest that the front office stick Bradford with his 4th offensive coordinator in 5 years, but I just have no confidence in Schottenheimer. I think for the most part the game plan and play calling were actually very good this game, but those last 2 calls totally sucked. If you're gonna run Richardson, it should have been outside, to take advantage of his speed and cut-back ability.

The empty backfield play was just a horrible call in my opinion. With Bradford...OK...I can buy it. But with Clemens...I think not. Schottenheimer can spin it however he wants, but I'd have a lot more respect for him if he just came clean and admitted it was a bad call.
    Clannie Nominee for ClanRam's Thickest Poster

RAMFANRAIDERHATER is offline Registered User

On what planet would anyone think Quick was going to win a man-on-man battle on a fade pattern against those corners? Probably the same planet that thought Clemons could make that pass when he needed to. If they were intent on throwing the ball, how about a little PA? They had been pounding the ball against them all game and I would think that it would make sense to show run and then pass, especially with a blitz coming. But an empty backfield?
    Faithful Rams fan since 1968

Truth is offline Registered User

Ok, ok, i get it. you guys can't stand clemens. He had a rough first half, then settled down a bit in the second half (still had a couple missed throws. There were more drops than misses.). What did you expect after 1 week of practice with the 1st team?? Give it a rest. Sam has a bad game and everybody blames the receivers, or the coaching. All I'm saying is be fair with your criticism. Was Clemens great?? No. But Sam misses open receivers, doesn't always move well in the pocket, stares down receivers, and holds on to the ball too long. These are all things that can be fixed. But haven't been. I don't think Clemens is going to set the world on fire. I don't advocate him replacing Sam. I do think he'll do a better job as the season goes on.

As for the final play...BAD on so many levels. However, the main reason the play failed was NOT Clemens. "They brought an all-out blitz, and 39 (Browner) got a good quick jam on ‘Quickie,’ and he couldn’t find the ball.” .... Really??? You didn't see this coming? Quick was never open, and Clemens had an unblocked defender on him almost immediately.
    That's my story, and I'm sticking to it!!

Quote Originally Posted by Truth View Post
    Ok, ok, i get it. you guys can't stand clemens. He had a rough first half, then settled down a bit in the second half (still had a couple missed throws. There were more drops than misses.). What did you expect after 1 week of practice with the 1st team?? Give it a rest. Sam has a bad game and everybody blames the receivers, or the coaching. All I'm saying is be fair with your criticism. Was Clemens great?? No. But Sam misses open receivers, doesn't always move well in the pocket, stares down receivers, and holds on to the ball too long. These are all things that can be fixed. But haven't been. I don't think Clemens is going to set the world on fire. I don't advocate him replacing Sam. I do think he'll do a better job as the season goes on.

As for the final play...BAD on so many levels. However, the main reason the play failed was NOT Clemens. "They brought an all-out blitz, and 39 (Browner) got a good quick jam on ‘Quickie,’ and he couldn’t find the ball.” .... Really??? You didn't see this coming? Quick was never open, and Clemens had an unblocked defender on him almost immediately.
    Did you really need to include an attack on Bradford in your response? Look, I don't blame Clemens for what happened on the play. He did the best he could in a tough situation. I blame Schottenheimer for calling a play that didn't give Clemens any options, and pretty much made him a sitting duck, doomed for failure. And to use the rationale that because the play had been successful for Bradford a few times, it could be successful for Clemens, was a ridiculous assumption on Schottenheimer's part. Kellen Clemens is not Sam Bradford.

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

Honestly, if we can't run it in from the one with the game on the line against a division rival on our own home field, we're just not going to win a lot of games. If that pass play was the one they thought would give us the best chance of winning, that's pretty sobering.
    RAMFANRAIDERHATER likes this.

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by RAMFANRAIDERHATER View Post
    On what planet would anyone think Quick was going to win a man-on-man battle on a fade pattern against those corners? Probably the same planet that thought Clemons could make that pass when he needed to.
    Nailed it.

You're asking a marginal back-up quarterback with limited practice time to get in sync with this offense to throw a timing, touch pass to a receiver who has shown limited at best ability to contend and fight for a jump ball.

It's hard for me to accept anything other than these two conclusions - either the call was a bad one or this coaching staff really does not know the strengths and weaknesses of their current personnel.

Given the fact that the Rams spent big money on a hybrid tight end in free agency and then traded up to draft a dynamic slot receiver, only to fail to find ways of getting either of them involved in the offense to the point where they've transitioned back to a power running team, I'm honestly wondering if it's the latter.
    J-RodRamFan likes this.

Yodude is offline Registered User

It's hard for me to accept anything other than these two conclusions - either the call was a bad one or this coaching staff really does not know the strengths and weaknesses of their current personnel.
    Agreed...and for Schottenheimer to stand at the podium and tell us that that call gave us the best chance to score is disingenuous at best. It's almost like he thinks we're stupid expecting us to believe that statement.
    Clannie Nominee for ClanRam's Thickest Poster

Truth is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
    Did you really need to include an attack on Bradford in your response? Look, I don't blame Clemens for what happened on the play. He did the best he could in a tough situation. I blame Schottenheimer for calling a play that didn't give Clemens any options, and pretty much made him a sitting duck, doomed for failure. And to use the rationale that because the play had been successful for Bradford a few times, it could be successful for Clemens, was a ridiculous assumption on Schottenheimer's part. Kellen Clemens is not Sam Bradford.
    Why, when anyone points out any flaws in Sam's game, is it considered an attack?? Yet, when a 2nd stringer comes in, with limited practice and has a marginal game (to be expected), it's OK for many to call him out with impunity. I've said this for YEARS, and I'll say it again...I don't care who plays QB for us, If the line can't block, or we can't P/U a blitz, they will have limited success. We don't throw downfield much because we can't block long enough to let the play develop (without holding). How many promising QBs do we have to go through before this gets fixed???? I don't dislike Sam. I think he has some issues. I think those issues are fixable. But only with the right coaching AND proper protection in the pocket.
    That's my story, and I'm sticking to it!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast