Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Scott Linehan's Life Expectancy as our RAMS Headcoach?

With a total overhaul of the offensive coaching staff.

1. New OC
    2. New QB Coach
    3. New RB Coach
    4. New O-Line Coach
    5. New TE Coach

It won't be a surprise to me if our offense starts out slow in 2008 much like Linehan's first season (2006).

If in fact we do start out slow there will be more pressure than ever on Haslett and our defense to keep us in the early games.

The question is will Linehan survive a slow start??

UtterBlitz is offline Registered User

Re: Scott Linehan's Life Expectancy as our RAMS Headcoach?

I am amazed that he is still with us right now. They have replaced a lot of the offensive coaching staff. Did Linehan pick them all?

My expectations for 2008 are very low, but I don't know what that would mean for Linehan.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

txramsfan is offline Registered User

Well, with the "talent" on this coaching staff....if the Rams start out slow again he's probably fired.

RamsSB99 is offline Registered User

If healthy I do think they will get better as the year goes on most teams do. However I don't think they will start off slower then the last two years. The first being a brand new system and the second being injuries and asdjusting to new line combinations. I think there are enough players familiar with this system especially the QB, WR, and RB who normally have the hardest time picking up a new system.

PeoriaRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RamsSB99 View Post
    If healthy I do think they will get better as the year goes on most teams do. However I don't think they will start off slower then the last two years. The first being a brand new system and the second being injuries and asdjusting to new line combinations. I think there are enough players familiar with this system especially the QB, WR, and RB who normally have the hardest time picking up a new system.
    Only because it is hard to go slower than "dead stop".:x

Quote Originally Posted by PeoriaRam View Post
    Only because it is hard to go slower than "dead stop".:x
    Actually health and familiarity with the system both of which they did not have in the first two years under Linehan. Its easy to say one liners instead of point out reasons. I have read several places where the Redskins were just starting to understand Saunders offense after two seasons. It takes a while however Barron, Pace, Jackson, Bruce, Holt and Bulger have all played in the same system it should be easier for them. A new system is normally hardest on the QB and Bulger has had several years in the system.

Actually health and familiarity with the system both of which they did not have in the first two years under Linehan. Its easy to say one liners instead of point out reasons. I have read several places where the Redskins were just starting to understand Saunders offense after two seasons. It takes a while however Barron, Pace, Jackson, Bruce, Holt and Bulger have all played in the same system it should be easier for them. A new system is normally hardest on the QB and Bulger has had several years in the system.

It takes two years to understand Linny's offense? I could buy that for a GSOT style offense or something complex like what Saunders runs, but Linny's offense was supposed to be much simpler IIRC.

All systems are not equal in complexity.

bigredman is offline Registered User

Much like those that live paycheck to paycheck, Linehan's life line will be week to week next year. Every win will be credited to new offensive coordinator and Haslett's continued development, every loss will be placed squarely on Linehan's shoulders. I just pray Linehan doesn't mess up our selections in the draft or free agency again. That will have long term affect on the Rams more-so than any win/loss record next year.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Chris58 is offline Registered User

I agree with you but isn't Saunders going to be bringing with him a new system/playbook? As you said, the Redskins were just beginning to understand Saunders offense after two years. If this is true, I am afraid the Rams may get off to another slow start offensively next season.

One possible safety valve might be an improved defense that keeps us in enough games that we can win ugly.

Quote Originally Posted by PeoriaRam View Post
    It takes two years to understand Linny's offense? I could buy that for a GSOT style offense or something complex like what Saunders runs, but Linny's offense was supposed to be much simpler IIRC.

All systems are not equal in complexity.
    Do you seem to forget what happened in year #2?

Does injuries ring a bell?
    Does no OL ring a bell?
    There was no way any OC could run their normal offense with the injuries the Rams had last year. I am not saying that he is not at fault for some of his play calling decisions. However you have to blame the lack of offense primarily on having street free agents on the OL and injuires throughout.:x

We can all make fun of Linehan but not to many offensive coordinators would look like geniuses with the injuries we sustained last year. I am glad we have Saunders as our OC this year but he would have looked bad last year with our miscasts.
    Last edited by RamsSB99; -02-19-2008 at 12:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris58 View Post
    I agree with you but isn't Saunders going to be bringing with him a new system/playbook? As you said, the Redskins were just beginning to understand Saunders offense after two years. If this is true, I am afraid the Rams may get off to another slow start offensively next season.

One possible safety valve might be an improved defense that keeps us in enough games that we can win ugly.
    From all indications I have heard he will be using a very similar approach as what they used under Martz except he will utilize the run more. I have heard several times that it will not be very different then what they were used to and Saunders knows what they were used to and should be able to bridge the gap between Martz playbook and the wrinkles Saunders has added to that style offense his self. I do think they will get better as the year goes on but I don't expect them to start off sluggish in the new offense because I expect Bulger, Holt, Bruce, and Jackson to pick it up in a rather timely fashion.

Mooselini is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by bigredman View Post
    Much like those that live paycheck to paycheck, Linehan's life line will be week to week next year. Every win will be credited to new offensive coordinator and Haslett's continued development, every loss will be placed squarely on Linehan's shoulders. I just pray Linehan doesn't mess up our selections in the draft or free agency again. That will have long term affect on the Rams more-so than any win/loss record next year.
    God youre a genius.

I think it all comes down to preseason. We can see how our offense can hold up during the preseason. I think we're gonna really screw up the preseason, but once it comes to the actual season, things will probably shape up a bit better.

Chris58 is offline Registered User

From all indications I have heard he will be using a very similar approach as what they used under Martz except he will utilize the run more. I have heard several times that it will not be very different then what they were used to and Saunders knows what they were used to and should be able to bridge the gap between Martz playbook and the wrinkles Saunders has added to that style offense his self. I do think they will get better as the year goes on but I don't expect them to start off sluggish in the new offense because I expect Bulger, Holt, Bruce, and Jackson to pick it up in a rather timely fashion.
    I hope you're right SB99. We need to get out of the blocks quickly next year as our phyche is fragile right now.

Do you seem to forget what happened in year #2?

Does injuries ring a bell?
    Does no OL ring a bell?
    There was no way any OC could run their normal offense with the injuries the Rams had last year. I am not saying that he is not at fault for some of his play calling decisions. However you have to blame the lack of offense primarily on having street free agents on the OL and injuires throughout.:x

We can all make fun of Linehan but not to many offensive coordinators would look like geniuses with the injuries we sustained last year. I am glad we have Saunders as our OC this year but he would have looked bad last year with our miscasts.
    Based on the offense's performance in the quarter or so that passed before Orlando suffered his season ending injury, the wheels would have spun on offense to begin the year whether or not the line was healthy. Maybe Linny needed a playbook that was more imaginative and complex. Because Lord knows the entire league sniffed out the Red Zone offense strategy of "run, run, throw incomplete pass/interception in the direction of Drew Bennett, attempt figgie."

Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

If Linehan's to stay much longer, a great draft and free agency period is essential (that means low risk, no luxury players) and then we need to start FAST. If he's to stick around, a winning record and a playoff berth would be the only thing to save him.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

LinkBacks (?)

1. -02-18-2008, 06:25 PM