Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

Re: Scott Wright's latest mock

There's no doubt that the Rams need a talent influx on the O line, but there are a lot of Pro Bowl OL in the league who were not first round draft choices. In fact, when you look at interior O line, you'll find a lot of top players taken in Rounds 2-4 (or even later).

I really think that, with the addition of a true pass rusher, the Rams could have a very solid defense next year.

BigDaddyPace is offline Registered User

I wouldn't mind if the Rams traded down and got a few more picks and a center in the 1st round.

mde8352gorams is offline Registered User

I hope Chris Long, whom many say is better suited for the 3-4 than our 4-3 can work for us. I've read how some are projecting him to be a Shawn Merriman type which we can certainly use.

I would also like to throw out for consideration with our 2nd round pick Shawn Crable OLB, Michigan. A great all-field type LB who chases the play well and at 6'5" 241 pounds he will not be easily blocked. I am reading this will not be a great wide receiver draft who would we take in the later rounds or is there a stud FA we should be looking into?

Go Rams!

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by moloch
    the raving over Chris really only started this year.
    Maybe this year was the first you heard of him, but Chris Long was talked about last year as a junior pick, but he stayed in school. He's far from a draftnik quick pick.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyPace View Post
    I wouldn't mind if the Rams traded down and got a few more picks and a center in the 1st round.
    Trading down is always worth looking at, but honestly I don't know if a Center will be taken first day, much less first round.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

txramsfan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyPace View Post

I don't think there will be anyone in our draft slot that will be worth trading down for. Doubt if another Brady Quinn is lurking around in this draft.

TekeRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    I think the top pick will be determined, to a great extent, by the play of John Beck in Miami over the next six weeks. If he looks the part of a starting QB, the Dolphins could go with a guy like Dorsey. If not, I think they would have to consider taking a franchise QB with that selection.

As for the Rams, I see Chris Long as their guy. I think that a Long/Carriker/Ryan/Little DL (with Wroten and Hall rotating in) could be VERY effective.

As for the OL, if Pace is coming back, I'd look for a big-bodied OT in Round 2. The kind of guy who could play OG as a rookie, and eventually move to the OT spot when Pace retires.

Round 3 - deep threat WR.
    I wholeheartedly agree with this... the Phins are all but assured of getting the #1, because they're two games ahead of everyone. The only team I see them beating are the Pats because one of them(Zack Thomas is my bet) will rip Brady's arm off and beat Belichick with it. The question is, can they decide to go after another 1st round QB when they did just get a 2nd rounder last year? Even if Beck looks like a dud. Their line has been underrated and they have a franchise back. I think they may go defense no matter what Beck looks like in my opinion, maybe hoping to do like the Browns did this year for Quinn. Maybe they'll trade for Quinn!

Also, for the third round, I'd either go burner WR or a SS that could maybe start. In any case I think we need to go Dline and Oline in the first two and then WR and Safety in the 3rd and 4th, in either order. I'd still say safety even if somehow we get Sanders in FA.

There's no doubt that the Rams need a talent influx on the O line, but there are a lot of Pro Bowl OL in the league who were not first round draft choices. In fact, when you look at interior O line, you'll find a lot of top players taken in Rounds 2-4 (or even later).

I really think that, with the addition of a true pass rusher, the Rams could have a very solid defense next year.
    Part of the reason interior linemen come from outside the first round is because they aren't generally regarded as first round positions. There are of course, a few exceptions, but those are usually end of the 1st round selections.

moloch41 is offline Registered User

Everything I've read on Chris Long so far says he's be a better fit as a 3-4 defensive end- but would probably be moved to DT in a 4-3. Is that really what we need right now? And if we do draft him and they're right about being a better DT in the 4-3, does that mean Carriker goes back out to DE?

txramsfan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by moloch41 View Post
    Everything I've read on Chris Long so far says he's be a better fit as a 3-4 defensive end- but would probably be moved to DT in a 4-3. Is that really what we need right now? And if we do draft him and they're right about being a better DT in the 4-3, does that mean Carriker goes back out to DE?
    I feel like Fred Gwynne in My Cousin Vinny "That was a lucid, and well thought out answer. Overruled"

That was a good observation and I've also read the same thing. However, I've also heard that he can play either position.

He currently plays DE in a 4-3, and looks pretty good doing so. I wouldn't be too worried about Long having to move.

viper is offline Registered User

As mentioned in another thread, how about:

Carriker/Hall
    Ryan
    Wroten
    Little/Long (heir apparent)

Does that float anybody's boat?

BigGameMN is offline Registered User

I don't want Jake Long, I think he very overrated. Of course I believe his stock will drop much like his former teammate Alan Branch. He rated as a top 5 pick this time last year and slipped into the 2nd round.

On another note, does it make anybody else sick to see the Pats in the top 5? Why couldn't Goodell take the whiners pick away?

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Gholston

Quote Originally Posted by PossumBoy9 View Post
    Nick, obviously Pitt is a "backyard" rival for the Mountaineers, so I assume you've seen Otah play. Has he looked good this year? He's certainly a beast.
    I'll give you a more detailed analysis when I see him in person in December, but my impression right now is that his stock is in part because he's playing good football but also because he has a lot of upside. He has incredible size (6'6" 340 lbs) and good athleticism. He was a JUCO transfer for Pittsburgh last fall so he doesn't have much experience playing D-IA football. He was an immediate starter for Pitt on the left side of the line, and when he faced off against Chris Long earlier this season, Long didn't register a sack. He still has technique work to do because of his inexperience, but he's gaining momentum as the season goes on. I believe he's cracked Scott Wright's first round projection at present.

I think the top pick will be determined, to a great extent, by the play of John Beck in Miami over the next six weeks. If he looks the part of a starting QB, the Dolphins could go with a guy like Dorsey. If not, I think they would have to consider taking a franchise QB with that selection.
    I don't think the Dolphins spent a second round pick on John Beck so that they could give him a six-week tryout before replacing him. They passed on a first round QB last spring (Quinn) so they could take Beck in the second round to be their QB of the future. I could be wrong, but I don't think they give up on him so soon, especially since there isn't an elite signal caller at the top of this class. Right now I think either Glenn Dorsey or Jake Long are the frontrunners for this pick.

I'm very skeptical of how these draftnicks focus on names sometimes and seem to get all hyped up on someone all of a sudden.
    The attention being paid in the draft community to Chris Long has not been "all of a sudden."

I think you can make up a lack of passrush by blitzing
    You can, but I think most coaches would tell you that they'd prefer to generate a pass rush with their front four instead of having to devote additional blitzing players.

I think people get too worked up about whether he's a 3-4 DE or a 4-3 DE simply because he has some size to him. The comparison I always seem to get back to is Green Bay's Aaron Kampman, who is also 6'4" and in the 270-280 pound range and is working wonders as a 4-3 end for the Packers. As HUb has said, Long has shown he can be productive as a 4-3 defensive end. He's no Dwight Freeney in terms of speed off the edge, but he certainly can get to the quarterback and has the size and technique to defend the run as well. He's a great all-around DE prospect.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

rams_fan81 is offline Registered User

Going back to Vernon Gholston With how good they say Jake Long is, Gholston had him sitting on top of Chad Henne in that Ohio State Michigan game.

bruce4life is offline Registered User

Dont You Guys Think Its Really Funny That The Pats Will End Up With Yet Another Great Player Through The Draft... As Much As I Hate The Pats, Hats Off To Their General Manager Scott Pioli I Believe

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast