Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    TekeRam is offline Registered User

Re: Scott Wright's latest mock

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    He currently plays DE in a 4-3, and looks pretty good doing so. I wouldn't be too worried about Long having to move.
    UVA actually plays a base 3-4, but switches to a 4-3 in certain situations. I'm pretty sure that he plays DE in both alignments. I also second that while he's not a pure speed guy, that also means he's not a pure speed guy. He'll collapse the pocket, thereby driving the QB into either hurried passes or another defender, or drive his blocker enough to get him himself. That said, if scouts are thinking he could be an outside linebacker, he's got enough speed to him.

Also, Goodell only said that the Pats were losing their 1st round pick if they reach the playoffs. He never said which one. He could always be really sneaky and steal their whiners one.

PossumBoy9 is offline Registered User

Smile Otah

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    I'll give you a more detailed analysis when I see him in person in December
    Thanks, that'd be great.

While he's certainly tall, I imagine he could play OG as a rookie, like Ogden did.

Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Trading down is always worth looking at, but honestly I don't know if a Center will be taken first day, much less first round.
    Moreover, if we wanted a Center, I'd assume Ryan Kalil would have been our guy in round 2 of last year.

Quote Originally Posted by TekeRam View Post
    I also second that while he's not a pure speed guy, that also means he's not a pure speed guy.
    I...see. Catching what you're throwing, honest.

C

Quote Originally Posted by Bar-bq View Post
    Moreover, if we wanted a Center, I'd assume Ryan Kalil would have been our guy in round 2 of last year.
    Of course, now it's known that Romberg isn't very good.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Otah

Quote Originally Posted by PossumBoy9 View Post
    While he's certainly tall, I imagine he could play OG as a rookie, like Ogden did.
    True, but that would mean we're sitting either Setterstrom or Incognito so he gets that time at OG.

Quote Originally Posted by Bar-bq View Post
    Of course, now it's known that Romberg isn't very good.
    There were plenty of questions about Romberg prior to the draft, though. He lacked pro experience and was plucked from another team's practice squad. It's going to be interesting as a Rams fan following the careers of Brian Leonard and Ryan Kalil, as well as Dustin Fry. Though I guess you have those kinds of situations in every draft.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    True, but that would mean we're sitting either Setterstrom or Incognito so he gets that time at OG.
    So be it....may the best man play.

I don't think we should be concerned with the roles of average(at best) players like Setterstrom, who will be coming back from a season-ending injury. Perhaps Setterstrom can play center.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

I don't think we should be concerned with the roles of average(at best) players like Setterstrom, who will be coming back from a season-ending injury. Perhaps Setterstrom can play center.
    Yeah, I guess the worst case scenario is that one of them starts and the other sits and provides excellent depth.

ramsplaya16 is offline Registered User

I don't understand how you can call setterstrom an average at best player, when he hasent even played a full season yet, last yar he didn't get reps until the carolina game, and he got hurt in the tampa game this year right? So he hasn't played a full season yet
    Built RAM tough

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

UVA actually plays a base 3-4, but switches to a 4-3 in certain situations. I'm pretty sure that he plays DE in both alignments.
    The point, of course, being how exceptionally well he has played the end in both alignments. The switch to the 4-3 (or the hybrid, if you will) has shown how effective Long can be in it. His first 3 seasons (significantly more time in the 3-4) yielded 3.6 tackles per game, 0.8 TFL per game, and 0.23 sacks per game. His senior season (more 4-3 time) has boosted his numbers to 6.3 tackles per game, 1.5 TFL per game, and 1.1 sacks per game.

I'd say the 4-3 suits him just fine.

As for the Long-to-LB talk, I've yet to hear anything about that. It would seem odd the same prospect being discussed as both a 3-4 End AND an OLB. It seems his 4.8 forty time would hamper that idea. Tommy Blake, Quentin Groves, Angelo Craig......I could seem them moving into outside, but I'd be surprised if Long did it.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

As for the Long-to-LB talk, I've yet to hear anything about that.
    Yeah, me either.

badmoforamfan is offline Registered User

Concerning Long. Isn't his ability to play both a 3-4 or a 4-3 an added bonus. Between him and Carriker the Rams could potentially run more 3-4 looks with those guys playing the end positions.

The Rams got bit hard by the injury bug this year, which could mean that they are to be pest free next year. OL are mid to late round options. Bring in more OL for depth (in case, god forbid the bug comes back), but I for one would love to see the idenity of this team morph in to a balance of power between the O and the D. If healthy, I believe the scales are tipped towards the O and has been that way for quite a while now. Obviously, unless it's the rebirth of GSOT the Rams are better off finding balance. Defense wins championships!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Maybe not now, but soon.

Drew is offline Registered User

being unable to follow much college football this year i have read every post with interest...is a bi-polar state of affairs with chris long (have bi-polar myself so excuse the analogy!hehe)

some say chris long may be rated because of his name rather than his talent or you could say this young man has had the insight track on how to become an NFL great from a very early age....

altho we have had problems on our O this year,i say we are between 3-4 good to great players on our D from having an elite D!

that being one,possibly 2 good DE`s,a CB and maybe perhaps more importantly than anything else a stud of a SS!

as previously stated havent been able to follow much college football this year so would really appreciate some info on who is the top SS prospects....

Quote Originally Posted by badmoforamfan View Post
    The Rams got bit hard by the injury bug this year, which could mean that they are to be pest free next year.
    No such thing as the "injury bug".

ramsplaya16 is offline Registered User

No such thing as the "injury bug".
    Its a figure of speech....and can you please answer my previous post?
    Built RAM tough

TekeRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Drew View Post
    altho we have had problems on our O this year,i say we are between 3-4 good to great players on our D from having an elite D!

that being one,possibly 2 good DE`s,a CB and maybe perhaps more importantly than anything else a stud of a SS!
    I'd trade that CB for a stud Strong or Middle linebacker. Chris Long, a healthy and the two rookies on the line, with Wroten and hell, even Glover behind them. Hall as a third end. Pisa, Spoon, new linebacker and either Chillar or Draft as a 4th. Brown and Hill are starting quality with a pass rush to help them. Wade and Bartell are good backups. Otogwe is fair enough and Chavous could be a backup, but we do indeed need a star safety. If we could put in some injury clauses, then I'd be extremely happy with Sanders.

I'd prefer a new one for the reason that maybe he'd have some tackling hands. That's been our main issue and if our current guys could tackle, we'd be a lot better.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast