HornIt Guest

Scratch Bill Sheridan off the list of potential Rams' DC

Sheridan was the Giants LB coach and was rumored to be among those being considered by Spags to be the Rams DC. The Giants just named him their DC to replace Spags. Here's the link if you want to read about it. I'm also posting an except I found interesting as it applies to Spags.

Sheridan said he learned much from Spagnuolo in their two years together.
    “Not just the scheme itself – the fundamentals of the scheme itself and the pressure package,” Sheridan said. “I think Steve did a great job of looking at our defense as our opponents did, with a self-scout mentality. He was always trying to be one step ahead with regard to how we were being viewed by our opponents.”
    The elmination of Sheridan would leave two other names that have been mentioned in the press as candidates of interest to Spags. Guinta, who the Giants considered to replace Spags but went with Sheridan (Guinta is a scary choice to me). And Sean McDermott, who is the secondary coach with the Eagles.

It looks very possible to me that both of Spags' coordinators may come from the Eagles. Pat Shurmur as OC and Sean McDermott as the DC.
    Last edited by Nick; -01-19-2009 at 03:55 PM. Reason: No links!

Azul e Oro is offline Registered User

Re: Scratch Bill Sheridan off the list of potential Rams' DC

I have concerns over The Rams going with an all-rookie trio of coaches but Shurmur IS an intriguing possibility as OC. I was a big fan of his dad, Fritz, who coached the Rams offense and he is well thought of in Philly where there is obviously a Spags connection.

Here's a blurb from the Eagles site about Shurmur that may be of interest:
    Pat Shurmur
    Quarterbacks Coach

One of the rising stars in the NFL's coaching ranks, Pat Shurmur is in his seventh season as the Eagles quarterbacks coach and his tenth as a member of Andy Reid's staff.
    In this role, the 43-year-old Shurmur has helped Donovan McNabb earn three of his five Pro Bowl berths. In 2004, McNabb turned in the most productive season of his career, establishing franchise records in QB rating (104.7), completion pct. (64.0), and passing yards (3,875). In fact, McNabb became the first quarterback in NFL history to have a season with 30-plus TD passes (31) and fewer than 10 interceptions (8).
    ""Pat's a very good football coach and teacher,"" said head coach Andy Reid. ""He's received a lot of attention from other teams to be a coordinator [in the last two years] that's going to happen for him.""
    In 2002, Shurmur earned praise for his poise displayed after McNabb and Koy Detmer went down with injuries late in the season. Down to little-used A.J. Feeley, who had not started since his junior year at Oregon, the Eagles went 4-1 down the stretch. Feeley, a 5th-round draft choice in 2001, was traded to Miami in 2004 for a 2nd-round pick in the 2005 NFL Draft.
    Similarly, Shurmur withstood another McNabb injury (torn ACL) in 2006 and helped back-up Jeff Garcia step into the starting role and lead the Eagles to a 6-2 record (including playoffs). Prior to his injury, McNabb was an early-season candidate for league MVP honors, topping the NFL charts in most passing statistical categories. Last year, McNabb played his best football to end the season (65% completion percentage, 6 TDs, 1 INT, 3-1 record in final four starts) after a season-ending knee injury one year earlier.
    His first three seasons in Philadelphia were spent as the Eagles tight ends coach, helping develop three-time Pro Bowler Chad Lewis.
    An All-Big Ten conference center and team captain at Michigan State, Shurmur joined Andy Reid's staff in Philadelphia in 1999 after an 11-year stint as a college assistant.
    Shurmur spent the 1998 season at Stanford as an offensive line coach in charge of the centers and guards. Under his tutelage, the Cardinal offensive line allowed the fewest sacks per pass attempt in the PAC 10 and, in the process, helped first-year quarterback Todd Husak become the third quarterback in Stanford history to throw for over 3,000 yards in a season.
    Prior to his tenure at Stanford, Shurmur spent nine seasons at Michigan State instructing the tight ends, special teams, and offensive line. Under his guidance, MSU developed three tight ends that went on to the NFL: Ty Hallock, Duane Young, and Mitch Lyons. In addition, Shurmur helped Derrick Mason establish a school record with 2,575 career kickoff return yards.
    Shurmur himself was a four-year letter winner at Michigan State, earning All-Big Ten conference and honorable mention All-America honors in 1987. That same year, Shurmur co-captained a Spartans squad that defeated USC in the Rose Bowl. A solid student as well, he earned his MBA in financial administration. As such, the Dearborn Heights, MI, native became the first graduate student to play at MSU.
    After signing as a rookie free agent with Green Bay in 1988, Shurmur was released during training camp and subsequently began his coaching career, becoming a graduate assistant with the Spartans that fall.

HornIt Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Azul e Oro View Post
    I have concerns over The Rams going with an all-rookie trio of coaches but Shurmur IS an intriguing possibility as OC. I was a big fan of his dad, Fritz, who coached the Rams offense and he is well thought of in Philly where there is obviously a Spags connection.
    Just a slight correction. Fritz was his uncle, not his dad.

Fritz was great and I wouldn't mind having another Shurmur in the Rams family. Would be weird having a Shurmur coordinating the offensive side of the ball for the Rams, but I think I could get used to it, especially if he did as good of a job with their offense as his uncle did with their defense.

I stand corrected on the family connection and coaching responsibilities of the late Shurmur . It's Monday & I guess it's my brain that's on the fritz. Ouch , sorry about that one.

Weird to have another Shurmur? Yes, but I like the pedigree and the connection with the team's & Spag's past. Great educated guess about who might be in the running for OC, HornIt.

For the Google-impaired, here's the Philly blurb about Sean McDermott:
    Sean McDermott
    Secondary Coach

One of the brightest, young defensive minds in the league, Sean McDermott enters his 10th season in Philadelphia. McDermott was named secondary coach on January 28, 2008, after a successful one-year stint as linebackers coach last season.
    "I don't think there are a lot of secondary coaches that are as good as Sean McDermott," Eagles head coach Andy Reid said. "He was a phenomenal linebackers coach and, really, his versatility I just think is second to none."
    The linebacking group flourished under McDermott in 2007 as two youngsters – Omar Gaither (team-leading 170 tackles and 14 hurries) and Chris Gocong (92 tackles, including 7 for a loss) – progressed into full-time starters for the first time in their careers.
    From 2004-06, McDermott served as the Eagles secondary/safeties coach. In 2004, he saw both of his starting safeties (Brian Dawkins and Michael Lewis) earn Pro Bowl berths for the first time in team history. Under McDermott's watch, Dawkins went on to earn two more Pro Bowl berths following the 2005 and 2006 seasons. In addition, McDermott has been credited with the development of Eagles S Quintin Mikell.
    McDermott worked as the Eagles assistant secondary coach in 2003 and as the club's defensive assistant/quality control coach from 2001-02, working with the linebacker position. In all, McDermott is the longest tenured defensive assistant coach under Jim Johnson.
    Under McDermott's watch, one of his players (Dawkins twice, Lewis and Gaither) has been the most productive player on defense in four out of the last five years.
    McDermott originally joined the Eagles in 1998 as a scouting administrative coordinator, a position he held until being promoted to assistant to the head coach in 1999.
    From 1993-97, McDermott was a safety at the College of William and Mary, earning all-conference honors in 1997, Academic all-conference honors in 1996 and 1997, and NSCA Strength and Conditioning All-America accolades. In 1998, he was the recipient of the prestigious Benjamin Ewell Award for his tremendous leadership and excellence on campus and in the community. In the spring of 1998, McDermott began his coaching career at William and Mary.
    A 1993 graduate of LaSalle HS, McDermott was named All-Southeastern Pennsylvania at defensive back in 1992. An all-around athlete, he was also a national prep school wrestling champion in his junior and senior year and lettered twice in track.
    In 2005, McDermott was named to the Philadelphia Daily News All-Catholic league team for standout players over the last three decades.
    A native of Omaha, Nebraska, McDermott (born 3/21/74) earned a bachelor degree in finance while at William and Mary. He enjoys exercising, playing golf and is an active member of the Church. He and his wife, Jamie, and their newborn daughter, Madeline, reside in Phoenixville, PA.

RamsFan16 Guest

Dang it

I hope we go get Mike Waufle now!

waufle looks like a good positional coach but I don't know that he's coordinator material. Been in the game at college & NFL level for a long time without ever moving up.
    He did work @ Raiders under Callahan who may or may not be available from the Bretts and is someone I like as an offensive coach. No reason to think Devaney or Spags would agree,though.

Bet it would get Nebraska Ram fans' corn a'poppin', though, LOL.