Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Screw (mediocre) Fisher!!!!!!

Tampa_Ram is offline Registered User

Screw (mediocre) Fisher!!!!!!

17 years and didnt bring much to the table beside the music city miracle. Without that where would he be right now? And plus, we all know that was a forward lateral......

Yes he has prior HC experience, 17 years worth, all which leveled out to mediocre at best.

All HC's started as coordinators at one point.

I do not want Fisher, who would have power over our GM, he'd have ultimate power to say the least(decides all coaching staff and determines who we draft,FA etc.) over everything.

He couldnt cut in it in Tenn in 17 years, but yet he'll cut it now?

screw Fisher, bring me someone who'll fight for his job, not his demands.

DE_Ramfan is offline Registered User

Re: Screw (mediocre) Fisher!!!!!!

I agree. This isn't some hall of fame coach we're talking about. I don't know if I trust him to have total control of the football team. I wonder which other head coaches even get this kind of power these days.
    THOLTFAN81 likes this.

MoonJoe is offline Ram MVP

It shows me he's smart enough to plays his cards right...
    jackson3909 likes this.
    "The disappointment of losing is huge!"

Jack Youngblood

Quote Originally Posted by MoonJoe View Post
    It shows me he's smart enough to plays his cards right...
    or, hes holding his cards a little bit to long...

harrydog is offline Registered User

I've gotta agree for the most part. He's a decent coach but nothing special and it won't upset me if he ends up going to Miami.
    On the other hand, if he does become the Rams HC I'll obviously be rooting for him to be wildly successful.

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

Again, we have absolutely NO IDEA what Fisher values in a prospective job or what has been offered by whom. This animosity towards him is both ridiculous and illogical- made so because we've hung on every word these alleged media "insiders" have given us for the past week. They've been wrong about absolutely EVERYTHING- starting with the belief Fisher would be coming to the Rams last Monday or Tuesday. You can't believe a word they say.

It's understandable we're all frustrated with a process that's been more drawn out than it should be and with the fountain of misinformation we've been fed for the better part of a week. But let's keep some perspective.

Quote Originally Posted by NJ Ramsfan1 View Post
    Again, we have absolutely NO IDEA what Fisher values in a prospective job or what has been offered by whom. This animosity towards him is both ridiculous and illogical- made so because we've hung on every word these alleged media "insiders" have given us for the past week. They've been wrong about absolutely EVERYTHING- starting with the belief Fisher would be coming to the Rams last Monday or Tuesday. You can't believe a word they say.

It's understandable we're all frustrated with a process that's been more drawn out than it should be and with the fountain of misinformation we've been fed for the better part of a week. But let's keep some perspective.
    My perspective is that he was a mediocre HC for 17 years and is demanding almost full control of the team he chooses. And in my eyes he doesnt deserve that kind of power. He may be the "hot" candidate at this time from his HC experience, but those 17 years dont really show me why he should have such power. i could care less what the media says.
    THOLTFAN81 and lostsoul like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Tampa_Ram View Post
    My perspective is that he was a mediocre HC for 17 years and is demanding almost full control of the team he chooses. And in my eyes he doesnt deserve that kind of power. He may be the "hot" candidate at this time from his HC experience, but those 17 years dont really show me why he should have such power. i could care less what the media says.
    I do agree with you Tampa, that I am not a fan of any situation in which a coach wields that much power. I certainly think a coach should have a major say in personnel, but essentially a coach should coach and the player personnel staff should run that end of things. Nonetheless, i do like Fisher and feel he's the best qualified candidate for an organization that can ill afford to start over with unproven coordinators.

MoonJoe is offline Ram MVP

But was he mediocre because his hands were tied at Tennessee?
    "The disappointment of losing is huge!"

Jack Youngblood

Quote Originally Posted by NJ Ramsfan1 View Post
    I do agree with you Tampa, that I am not a fan of any situation in which a coach wields that much power. I certainly think a coach should have a major say in personnel, but essentially a coach should coach and the player personnel staff should run that end of things. Nonetheless, i do like Fisher and feel he's the best qualified candidate for an organization that can ill afford to start over with unproven coordinators.
    I agree with a coach should coach and staff runs and brings in everything else. if it werent for the 9/12 teams that went to the playoffs this year with HC's with no previous HC exprerience id be with you 100%. But its hard to argue that when so many teams are successful with new HC's over HC's with previous HC experience. It almost seems about finding the right combo of new HC, right DC and OC and other coaches more then bringing an HC with previous HC experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Tampa_Ram View Post
    I agree with a coach should coach and staff runs and brings in everything else. if it werent for the 9/12 teams that went to the playoffs this year with HC's with no previous HC exprerience id be with you 100%. But its hard to argue that when so many teams are successful with new HC's over HC's with previous HC experience. It almost seems about finding the right combo of new HC, right DC and OC and other coaches more then bringing an HC with previous HC experience.
    Yeah, I just have no faith in our ability to do this based on our last two hires!!

badmoforamfan is offline Registered User

Joe, I agree. I was just thinking that there were a few years there in Tennessee where a bunch of (pretty good) players left via FA for $$$$. I always got the sense that Titan organization was cheap.

Maybe they were smart and didn't want to invest the $$$ to paying players on the backside of their careers and the window of winning with them closing, I dont know. I recall that even during the "lame duck" season they were competitive with young, minimal talent.

Mediocre, maybe…but always competitive. I miss watching my team be competitive.

I'd like to think he was constantly make the best out of a bad situation.

RAMFANRAIDERHATER is offline Registered User

I'll have to disagree with the question about how much power the coach should have. If I were the HC, I'd want total control over what players we get. Absolutely. If I'm the HC and I'm going to be held responsible for results on the field then I want control over WHO is on the field.

It never made any sense to me otherwise... IF I'm the HC I have a plan, a scheme and I need the players to fit that plan. I certainly don't want any GM or VP or OWNER handing me a player and saying; "make it work". Can anyone say Vince Young?
    Rambunctious likes this.
    Faithful Rams fan since 1968

cayal Guest

Quote Originally Posted by MoonJoe View Post
    But was he mediocre because his hands were tied at Tennessee?
    They weren't tied...

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

The problem is that he is better than mediocre. Out of active coaches, his record falls somewhere between Tom Coughlin and John Fox. That's what makes it hard. If he was truly mediocre, we wouldn't be having this discussion. He's a Super Bowl runner-up whose career record falls between a one-time Super Bowl winner and a one-time Super Bowl loser. I think that pretty well captures where he rates in this league. That's better than most when you think about how many coaches get canned before their first contract expires.

He's like the Matt Hasselbeck or Kerry Collins of coaching--he's too good not to want him when you've been losing, but you don't really expect him to build a dynasty. Hiring a coordinator, on the other hand, is like hoping to draft the next Peyton Manning. You're hoping the past success of the guy you pick will translate well in a new role with greater responsibilities.
    laram0 and Battering_RAMS like this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast