throwback week

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    RamWraith is offline Registered User

Seahags love Cogs

07:16 AM PST on Friday, December 12, 2008

Associated Press

RENTON, Wash. - There may be no more ironically named player in the NFL than Richie Incognito. At least to the Seahawks.

A Seattle defense that has been stone cold during most of this season turned fiery this week. All it took was the mere mention of the St. Louis Rams offensive lineman.

The Seahawks (2-11) say Incognito jumps late onto piles. He twists ankles. He scratches necks.

That's why he is the man they target for payback perhaps more than any other opponent in the league.

"You know, like the FBI's 20 Most Wanted? Yeah, he'd be on that list," Seahawks linebacker Julian Peterson said with an evil chuckle while preparing for the next encounter with Incognito -- Sunday in St. Louis.

Incognito should be anonymous. He's a fourth-year guard on another 2-11 team who spent two of his first three seasons on injured reserve.

Yet how many guards rack up fines of $25,000 for repeated verbal abuse of a game official, $5,000 for a major facemask and $5,000 for a chop block -- all in the same game? Or make an obscene gesture to a TV cameraman -- at practice? How about stopping his jog off the field after another bad game of his team's horrid season, dropping his helmet and cupping his hands to his ears to mock the home fans for not booing loudly enough.

Incognito has done all that this season.

Peterson, a four-time Pro Bowl player, got so irate at Incognito in the season's first meeting between the Seahawks and Rams he threw two punches at the rowdy Ram after a play.

Peterson said he was incensed after Incognito wandered into a pile at the end of a tackle, grabbed the foot and ankle of Seattle's Leroy Hill and started twisting.

"In that last game we played him, I felt like he did a lot of dirty stuff," said Peterson, who was fined for a hard hit on Rams quarterback Marc Bulger in that game.

Defensive tackle Rocky Bernard will line up across from Incognito. When asked his opinion, Bernard chuckled, shook his head and said, "I've got to choose my words carefully here."

"You just have to be smart when you play a guy like that," he said. "You don't want to hurt your team with stupid penalties because there's a lot of cheap shots out there."

So has he retaliated with cheap shots of his own against Incognito?

"I have done that before," Bernard said, laughing and shaking his head again.

Some Seahawks said Incognito grabbed and clawed at the neck of Seattle defensive tackle Craig Terrill in their 37-13 home win over the Rams in September, causing Terrill to bleed.

But when asked about Incognito, Terrill took the high road.

"I just don't worry about that stuff too much," Terrill said, failing to keep a straight face. "It's a physical game."

Even Incognito's teammates realize he has the potential to cross the line between aggression and dirty play.

"Richie is doing everything he has to do to try to help us win ball games on Sunday. Does he go outside the box sometimes? Sure, who doesn't?" veteran Rams wide receiver Torry Holt said. "As a puny receiver and as sportswriters, you don't know what's going on inside those trenches. We try to do the best job we can to calm him and keep everything in between the whistle.

"We love him as a teammate. He is definitely one of our toughest offensive linemen on our squad and in the NFL."

Through a team spokesman, Incognito declined comment Thursday on the Seahawks' grievances.

When asked if he had heard that Seattle accused Incognito of dirty play in the teams' previous meeting, Rams coach Jim Haslett said Thursday: "That could be any team in the league."

None more so than a division rival that gets to absorb and avenge Incognito's antics twice each season.

"There are just a few in the league who take cheap shots, go low at you when they're not supposed to go low, like when you're not looking," Hill said. "We know who they are.

"Yes, he's one of them to us, because of all the things he's done and because we play them all the time."

maineram Guest

Re: Seahags love Cogs

He's a BAD man !!!!!

Maineram -

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

Just another example of the Rams getting a guy with poor character and no poise who won't help them win. They knew this from the start and went ahead and drafted him anyway.

You reap what you sow. Cogs will be gone by next season.

I like him, a dirty FOOTBALL player

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Exactly why Incognito has to be kept around. Anything that distracts the opponent is a good thing. When the Seahawk defenders SHOULD BE concerned with Jackson, Holt, & Avery, they are tied up with their stupid vendetta against Incognito.

That's freakin' beautiful! Well done, Cogs.

Besides, the only opinions that mean anything, and I do mean ANYTHING in this story have nothing to do with the Seahawks, some writer for the AP, or any of us. The only opinions that matter are in the Rams lockerroom. And how do they feel about him?
    Quote Originally Posted by Torry Holt
    "We love him as a teammate. He is definitely one of our toughest offensive linemen on our squad and in the NFL."
    Quote Originally Posted by Torry Holt
    "Richie is doing everything he has to do to try to help us win ball games on Sunday. Does he go outside the box sometimes? Sure, who doesn't?"
    So how does that expression go? I believe it's.........NUFF SAID. (man, I hate that expression, but it certainly seems to fit here)
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

DistantRam Guest

Drat. When I read the title, I thought that the Hags were going to offer their first round pick for him.

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

You think the Seattle defense will be doing everything they can to bait him into doing something stupid? He needs to keep his head because this matchup is always close and he's affected a few of the past outcomes. It will be a good test to see if he finally can control himself.

PeoriaRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RamDez View Post
    I like him, a dirty FOOTBALL player
    I would have liked him 40 years ago when you could get away with that. You can't now, therefore he is worthless.

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by RamWraith View Post
    Peterson said he was incensed after Incognito wandered into a pile at the end of a tackle, grabbed the foot and ankle of Seattle's Leroy Hill and started twisting."In that last game we played him, I felt like he did a lot of dirty stuff," said Peterson, who was fined for a hard hit on Rams quarterback Marc Bulger in that game.
    Nothing like a sniveler ...

Azul e Oro is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
    You think the Seattle defense will be doing everything they can to bait him into doing something stupid? He needs to keep his head because this matchup is always close and he's affected a few of the past outcomes. It will be a good test to see if he finally can control himself.
    I agree. I think the comments are a psy-ops pre-emptive strike. It's not the trivial nastiness mentioned that draws penalties and fines but outbursts that result from the cumulative effects of the nasty stuff that goes on between linemen on all football teams.

Controlling those outbursts is the thing. Wouldn't hurt if the guy was making consistent blocks as well.

On the other hand,it seems pretty hypocritical for Hags like former Whiner Peterson to complain about twisting ankles and scratching necks when his spear shot could have killed Bulger.

By all means keep Mungo Incognito on a short leash but I still want him straining at it, not rolling over & wagging his tail.

C-Mob 71 is offline Registered User

It sounds like Richie has done exactly what he was trying to do, get under their skins. Come on, are little scratches really that serious? Who's career is on the line in that instance? The thing I cant stand is when guys go after knees, ie gosder cherilus on jared allen. There is no place for that, that is how careers are ruined. I'm a Incognito fan and a Rams fan, but if i see them deliberately trying to ruin someone's knees, then i would have to stop cheering for that player. As far as i know, i havent seen richie do anything more than run his mouth and hit guys late.

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

You guys defending Incognito simply don't get it. His lack of poise and self control have hurt the Rams more than they've helped. You guys obviously have short memories- that idiot's 15 yard unsportsmanlike conduct penalty easily could have cost us the Washington game, and unfortunately, that is par for the course as far as Incognito is concerned. On top of that, Incognito is simply average, at best. He certainly isn't an upper tier offensive lineman, which makes his transgressions merely the foolish actions of a pedestrian player. WHO CARES if he's gotten under the Seahawks skin? His past dirty play isn't going to make a damn bit of difference in a game between two crappy 2-11 football teams.

RamWraith is offline Registered User

Personally...

I don't give a rats whether he talks smack and plays with emotion. The problem I have is that he sucks as a blocker! To inconsistent and over rated. His mouth is bigger than his actions...and that bugs the crap out of me. If you are doing to grind on people, you play better be 10 times that of your opponent. You ask me... this pile is just another Kyle Turdley. Waste of good air! Bring in Setterstrom!

joka is offline Registered User

He's to what I would call a gobs**te - all talk. Do not believe he is of the right personality to take the team forward eapecially in it's current predicament ( do believe he could thrive in a suitable enviroment). I am a strong believer in the collective and his behaviour does not seem conjusive to that. Would rather have a slightly lesser player who saw the overall importance of the team.

Guam rammer is offline Registered User

If we could get the other three linemen to have cogs' intensity without all the extra stuff, then what you get is a bunch of guys that put it all on the line each and every play. Pulling on a guys leg or sneaking in a few blows are one thing, getting caught is another. C'mon, this is football, not synchronized swimming. I don't watch the game for finesse. They put cheerleaders on the sidelines to get us beer sucking monsters off of our seats to act like morons while rooting for our team. That says alot about the game and us fans. You want a good whole hearted show? Then go watch the Opera.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast