acer1240 is offline Registered User

Seahawk fan here

For starters, I am not a flamer or here to talk trash. I will not get into the Bulger vs Hass types of debates (although it was kinda cool to see that they are good friends during the qb challenge).
    The reason that I am here is that I am in a debate with a rams fan over the state of the team for the upcoming season. He stated that not only is everything alive and well, but the team will be even better than it was last year. Here is the way I see it as an outsider and run me out if I am way off base

12-4 is pretty damn tough to duplicate in todays NFL. As a whole, I dont think the division got much better, the Green hire in AZ makes the fall of the 9ers a wash. The common opponents for the division are much more difficult unless the pats, etc... pull a Tampa/Raider like collapse this year.

As I am not a fan of the team, I tend to look more at the losses rather than the draft of the FA signings the team has made. I've looked through the board and there seems to be almost an even split on the value of Warner? No matter what you think of the guy he was a team leader and an mvp carries an aura about him. Wistrom was overpaid to come to Sea, but again, the motor, heart, and leadership is again, tough to replace.

The team may no longer have a QB issue, but Little did his best to make sure it had another one. This is not a TEAM issue, but things like this seem to effect the team anyway (see r.moss).

For what it is worth, I see the rams going 10-6 this year, but was kinda wondering what you all thought how your team compares to last years squad.

Cheers and good luck against all except Sea

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Seahawk fan here

Quote Originally Posted by acer1240
    For starters, I am not a flamer or here to talk trash. I will not get into the Bulger vs Hass types of debates (although it was kinda cool to see that they are good friends during the qb challenge).
    The reason that I am here is that I am in a debate with a rams fan over the state of the team for the upcoming season. He stated that not only is everything alive and well, but the team will be even better than it was last year. Here is the way I see it as an outsider and run me out if I am way off base

12-4 is pretty damn tough to duplicate in todays NFL. As a whole, I dont think the division got much better, the Green hire in AZ makes the fall of the 9ers a wash. The common opponents for the division are much more difficult unless the pats, etc... pull a Tampa/Raider like collapse this year.

As I am not a fan of the team, I tend to look more at the losses rather than the draft of the FA signings the team has made. I've looked through the board and there seems to be almost an even split on the value of Warner? No matter what you think of the guy he was a team leader and an mvp carries an aura about him. Wistrom was overpaid to come to Sea, but again, the motor, heart, and leadership is again, tough to replace.

The team may no longer have a QB issue, but Little did his best to make sure it had another one. This is not a TEAM issue, but things like this seem to effect the team anyway (see r.moss).

For what it is worth, I see the rams going 10-6 this year, but was kinda wondering what you all thought how your team compares to last years squad.

Cheers and good luck against all except Sea
    Welcome, Acer. Glad to have you around. You've hit on some pertinent issues that we have (quite objectively, may I add). If you've read some of the other posts on the '03 Rams vs. '04 Rams, you will note there are some of us who believe the difference will be determined in the trenches. The O-line is intact, so we should expect performance that at least equals last year, if not improved upon last year. The bigger of the two variables is the D-line. So far it has been a binary defensive line (filled with 1's & 0's - 1st rounders who have done nothing). Sidebar - please pardon the early morning attempt at humor. If the 3 1st rounders finally show their potential, and some combination of Fisher, Flowers, Jackson, Hargrove can make up for Wistrom, then we should be an improved team. I don't think Little will be a factor until next season.

You mentioned the schedule and you're right. This will be a tougher schedule, but I think we will be improved from last season. So 12-4 may be about right.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

moklerman is offline Registered User

Just to give you another point of view, I'm somewhat skeptical of the 2004 Rams. The whole team has question marks. Will Bulger get better or continue his slide from 2003? Will Faulk come back healthy or will his knee finally give up on him? Will the o-line get better just because they've been together for a year or will Turley's back surgery, Pace's holdout and the overall age of the interior line have the offense off to another slow start? Will Manumaleuna be better by focusing on just being a TE or was he overpaid and continue to be a bust? Will Curtis be the missing link to the Air Martz system that was vacated by Az Hakim so many years ago or will he be injury prone and too brittle to play in the NFL?

And that's just the offense! There are quite a few questions about the defense, too. All in all, I would say that most Rams fans are pretty optimistic about 2004 but the optimism has to be viewed through rose colored glasses.

A 10-6 record is pretty realistic to me but I think they will have to catch some breaks to acheive it. Duplicating the 12-4 mark from last year is a pretty lofty goal and unrealistic based on the struggles the team had with the likes of Arizona, Chicago, Detroit and San Francisco. The Rams had a lot of balls bounce their way last year and without any major improvements being made, a tougher schedule and a new defensive coordinator I think keeping the status quo is going to be unrealistic.

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Hopefully everyone will stay healthy and play to their potential, 'cause if that happens we won't have to worry about any other team in our division.

sprtsmac is offline Registered User

I agree with mokleram, there are a lot of questions about this years Rams and a 10-6 record sounds about right. But with the schedule for the whole division getting tougher, a 10-6 record might be enough to win the division.
    Sprtsmac :football:

acer1240 is offline Registered User

Thank you very much for your take on the team guys. I think that it will be very difficult for any team from this division to go 12-4. If they do, they damn well earned it.
    I really like Bulger, and believe it or not he reminds me Dave Kreig (look up his career #'s if you think i'm dissing Bulger, I'm not). Every game that Kreig played he had a chance to either throw for 400 yards and 4 td's, or to throw for 185 with 1 td and 4 ints. The only difference I see in them is that Kreig seemed to do it for 1 game stretches, where as Bulger seems to switch from quarter to quarter. If he becomes more even keel then I for one will be sorry we (seahawks) had to switch divisions. Then again, we are putting together a nice team up here as well Best of luck guys