Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 23
  1. #1
    AvengerRam's Avatar
    AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Longwood, Florida, United States
    Age
    46
    Posts
    19,046
    Rep Power
    171

    Seahawks Personnel Issues Reveal Smart Moves By Rams

    2009 Offseason...

    Two teams are faced with a similar problem. Both have potential HOF LTs who due to age and injuries, are nearing the end of their careers.

    One team, the Rams, decide to let their veteran, Orlando Pace, move on to a new team. They then draft draft his heir apparent, Jason Smith, in the first round of the draft.

    The other team, the Seahawks, decide to keep their veteran, Walter Jones, and go with the BPA, Aaron Curry in the first round of the draft (they could have taken a Blue Chip LT in Eugene Monroe or Michael Oher).

    Fast forward to November 2009. Jason Smith has started to emerge as a very solid starter, and he is regarded as a player who has the upside to be a very good LT for many years to come. Aaron Curry has not disappointed, but he also has not dominated as some thought he might (in fact, James Laurinaitis, who the Rams selected in Round 2, has arguably outperformed Curry as a rookie).

    As both teams are laboring through losing season, they are likely to once again have selections in the Top 10 picks of the draft. Again, the needs are similar. Both teams need to look for a QB of the future. Both teams need more youth and talent at the WR position.

    The difference is, Seattle still needs a LT, and there is a very good chance that they'll have to use their first pick to fill that key position.
    The Rams, on the other hand, have filled that position, and can go in another direction (QB, WR) if they wish to in Round 1.


  2. #2
    GROUND DOG 39's Avatar
    GROUND DOG 39 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    MANCHESTER, U.K.
    Posts
    1,483
    Rep Power
    18

    Re: Seahawks Personnel Issues Reveal Smart Moves By Rams

    By the same token the Seahawks need'nt look towards LB this year, I believe you take
    the BPA in both teams predicaments.

  3. #3
    AvengerRam's Avatar
    AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Longwood, Florida, United States
    Age
    46
    Posts
    19,046
    Rep Power
    171

    Re: Seahawks Personnel Issues Reveal Smart Moves By Rams

    Quote Originally Posted by GROUND DOG 39 View Post
    By the same token the Seahawks need'nt look towards LB this year, I believe you take
    the BPA in both teams predicaments.
    You completely ignore the fact that some needs are easier to fill in later rounds than others. It is very rare that a franchise LT is taken after the first round. Pro Bowl LBs, on the other hand, are very often found in later rounds. The Seahawks could have taken a LT last year and still obtained a top notch LB in Round 2.

  4. #4
    shower beers's Avatar
    shower beers is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    3,050
    Rep Power
    59

    Re: Seahawks Personnel Issues Reveal Smart Moves By Rams

    Don't forget injuries. While Smith has had his share of injuries this year, he's young and tough, making him able to easily bounce back. Jones on the other hand, suffered injuries and was not able to get back into form. In fact, they just shut him down for the season, essentially leaving a huge void in arguably the most important position in football. In hindsight, I'm sure they would have welcomed Monroe or Oher with open arms with the 4th pick.

  5. #5
    eldfan's Avatar
    eldfan is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Greenville N.C.
    Age
    49
    Posts
    1,661
    Rep Power
    25

    Re: Seahawks Personnel Issues Reveal Smart Moves By Rams

    Fast forward to November 2009. Jason Smith has started to emerge as a very solid starter, and he is regarded as a player who has the upside to be a very good LT for many years to come. Aaron Curry has not disappointed, but he also has not dominated as some thought he might (in fact, James Laurinaitis, who the Rams selected in Round 2, has arguably outperformed Curry as a rookie).
    It shows you one thing you canít be to quick to label someone a failure
    :ramlogo:

  6. #6
    AvengerRam's Avatar
    AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Longwood, Florida, United States
    Age
    46
    Posts
    19,046
    Rep Power
    171

    Re: Seahawks Personnel Issues Reveal Smart Moves By Rams

    Quote Originally Posted by eldfan View Post
    It shows you one thing you canít be to quick to label someone a failure
    Huh? Who was labeled a failure?

  7. #7
    viper's Avatar
    viper is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Vancouver, Washington
    Age
    53
    Posts
    1,692
    Rep Power
    26

    Re: Seahawks Personnel Issues Reveal Smart Moves By Rams

    Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    2009 Offseason...

    Fast forward to November 2009. Jason Smith has started to emerge as a very solid starter, and he is regarded as a player who has the upside to be a very good LT for many years to come. Aaron Curry has not disappointed, but he also has not dominated as some thought he might (in fact, James Laurinaitis, who the Rams selected in Round 2, has arguably outperformed Curry as a rookie).
    I have to admit that I was intrigued by Aaron Curry. But, I have always maintained that it all starts up front. The right pick was LT at the no. 2 pick overall. After we selected Jason Smith I was satisfied that we had made the right selection. Especially, because I did not see Pace as our starter for much longer due to his injury history.

    Still, I knew that we needed a middle linebacker in the worst way. So, when we got to our 2nd pick and both Laurinaitis an Maleluga (sp?) were still on the board I was stoked. I was hoping that we'd take Laurinaitis and when we did I was ecstatic! Both arms up in the air...might have even done a little diddy around the living room...can't remember. But, with our 1st and 2nd round selections I knew we had just hit a home run in the 2009 draft for the future.

    In DeSpags I trust!

    Go Rams!!!
    Last edited by viper; -11-23-2009 at 05:12 PM.

  8. #8
    RebelYell's Avatar
    RebelYell is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    St. Louis ,Missouri
    Posts
    2,411
    Rep Power
    45

    Re: Seahawks Personnel Issues Reveal Smart Moves By Rams

    Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    Huh? Who was labeled a failure?
    I believe the point was that you have said Curry hasn't lived up to expectations of dominance before he has even played an entire year.

    I think the Seahawks hoped (hope?) to hold on for another year or two without having the do a complete rebuild the way the Rams have. It isn't fair to compare the two franchises moves and make an instant declaration of some sort of proof. Until Smith actually plays at a premier level at LT, your argument is limited and they obviously felt they were in a different position anyway.

    I'd rather be the Rams right now looking forward but most of us had very different opinions even last summer where we are at. Remember, people thought Bulger was going to put up 4,000 yards of passing this year!
    Last edited by RebelYell; -11-23-2009 at 05:17 PM.

  9. #9
    RAMarkable is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Arkansas
    Age
    59
    Posts
    2,116
    Rep Power
    41

    Re: Seahawks Personnel Issues Reveal Smart Moves By Rams

    I see the point you are trying to make, but one thing you forgot is that the SeaHags have TWO first round picks in the '10 draft and this may have factored in with their moves with Walter Jones.

    Just a thought.

    WHAT SAY YE?

  10. #10
    AvengerRam's Avatar
    AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Longwood, Florida, United States
    Age
    46
    Posts
    19,046
    Rep Power
    171

    Re: Seahawks Personnel Issues Reveal Smart Moves By Rams

    Quote Originally Posted by RebelYell View Post
    I believe the point was that you have said Curry hasn't lived up to expectations of dominance before he has even played an entire year.
    Well, that's a far cry from calling him a failure. I think he'll be a very good player for many years. He's not, however, Lawrence Taylor.

    I think the Seahawks hoped (hope?) to hold on for another year or two without having the do a complete rebuild the way the Rams have.
    I think that's the key. The Rams accepted the fact that they are building for the future. The Seahawks mistakenly believed they could contend with the team they have in place now.

    It isn't fair to compare the two franchises moves and make an instant declaration of some sort of proof. Until Smith actually plays at a premier level at LT, your argument is limited and they obviously felt they were in a different position anyway.
    The reason I can make an evaluation now is that it is pretty clear that the Seahawks will need to make LT a priority in the draft next year, while the Rams don't have to do so and can move on to other needs.

  11. #11
    AvengerRam's Avatar
    AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Longwood, Florida, United States
    Age
    46
    Posts
    19,046
    Rep Power
    171

    Re: Seahawks Personnel Issues Reveal Smart Moves By Rams

    Quote Originally Posted by RAMarkable View Post
    I see the point you are trying to make, but one thing you forgot is that the SeaHags have TWO first round picks in the '10 draft and this may have factored in with their moves with Walter Jones.

    Just a thought.

    WHAT SAY YE?
    That explanation doesn't really work, though, because when Seattle took Curry they had not yet made the trade with Denver that yielded them a second first round pick in 2010.

    Looking forward, that second first round pick will be of great value to Seattle. I suspect they will take an OT with their pick, and then look at WRs and possibly a QB (Colt McCoy, maybe) with the pick acquired from Denver.

  12. #12
    RamOfDenmark Guest

    Re: Seahawks Personnel Issues Reveal Smart Moves By Rams

    Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    I think that's the key. The Rams accepted the fact that they are building for the future. The Seahawks mistakenly believed they could contend with the team they have in place now.
    I agree. I was saying it before the season started - the Seahawks have a very weak roster only marginally better than the Rams and should have been in 'rebuild mode' but they thought they could get by on what they had. Take a look at their roster - if I was a Seahawk fan the only position I would be very happy with would be linebacker, almost every other position is weakly manned and in dire need of upgrades. It is also easier to get by with a slightly worse LB (especially when you already have as good linebackers as the Seahawks do) than it is to get by with a subpar LT (defenses will eat your QB for dinner).

    The Seahawks also need another critical piece which we already possess, in addition to a LT and a QB for the future - we have Steven Jackson who will be a top running back for a number of years into the future and the Seahawks still have no one to fill Shaun Alexander's void (their running game is currently last in the league with a paltry 84.4 yds/gm).

    QB, LT, RB - all big needs for the Seahawks, all critically important pieces missing.

    So yeah I think we should feel pretty good as Rams fans looking to the future compared to the Seahawks. If we can add a top QB in the draft and a real #1 WR (probably through the draft, but we do have lots of youngsters so one could emerge) - we're just about back in business on the O side. On D I think we can get by with lower draft picks, getting situational players that fit our scheme, improved coaching and a few free agents here and there, I think that will be sufficient for gradual improvement while we focus our top picks on rebuilding our offense.

  13. #13
    BlueTalon's Avatar
    BlueTalon is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Washington
    Age
    53
    Posts
    213
    Rep Power
    13

    Re: Seahawks Personnel Issues Reveal Smart Moves By Rams

    There were a number of factors going into the decision to draft Curry. First and foremost was the fact that the entire FO and coaching staff agreed that Curry was the only player in the draft worth spending a #4 pick on. They spent a lot of time looking at Sanchez in order to position themselves to trade down to someone who wanted him, because they figured Curry would be gone by #4. When he was available, they weren't about to pick anyone else.

    At that time, our LB situation was unsettled -- we had traded Julian Peterson, and talks with Hill had stalled. Drafting Curry gave us some flexibility. You guys are right, Curry hasn't exactly lit it up this year. But he is physically comparable to Demarcus Ware and Sean Merriman, and could very well develop into that kind of player. He is still a rookie, after all.

    I'm guessing if you guys hadn't drafted Smith, we might have drafted him, but the Seahawks' assessment of Oher and Monroe was that they weren't worth that pick. I don't know about you guys, but we have had bad luck reaching for need instead of drafting BPA.

    Also, at that time, Walter Jones' recovery from knee surgery was ahead of schedule. They therefore didn't think OT was as big of a need as it later turned out to be. In hindsight, obviously, we could have done things differently, but you can't make decisions based on hindsight. All you have to make decisions on is the information you have at the time. This year, I expect one of the 1st round picks to be spent on a OT, the other 1st round pick to be on a DT or OG, 2nd round pick on a RB or DT or OG. I don't think there's any real point to drafting a QB until we can keep him upright.

  14. #14
    01d 0rd3r's Avatar
    01d 0rd3r is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    florida
    Posts
    1,259
    Rep Power
    28

    Re: Seahawks Personnel Issues Reveal Smart Moves By Rams

    Quote Originally Posted by BlueTalon View Post
    There were a number of factors going into the decision to draft Curry. First and foremost was the fact that the entire FO and coaching staff agreed that Curry was the only player in the draft worth spending a #4 pick on. They spent a lot of time looking at Sanchez in order to position themselves to trade down to someone who wanted him, because they figured Curry would be gone by #4. When he was available, they weren't about to pick anyone else.

    At that time, our LB situation was unsettled -- we had traded Julian Peterson, and talks with Hill had stalled. Drafting Curry gave us some flexibility. You guys are right, Curry hasn't exactly lit it up this year. But he is physically comparable to Demarcus Ware and Sean Merriman, and could very well develop into that kind of player. He is still a rookie, after all.

    I'm guessing if you guys hadn't drafted Smith, we might have drafted him, but the Seahawks' assessment of Oher and Monroe was that they weren't worth that pick. I don't know about you guys, but we have had bad luck reaching for need instead of drafting BPA.

    Also, at that time, Walter Jones' recovery from knee surgery was ahead of schedule. They therefore didn't think OT was as big of a need as it later turned out to be. In hindsight, obviously, we could have done things differently, but you can't make decisions based on hindsight. All you have to make decisions on is the information you have at the time. This year, I expect one of the 1st round picks to be spent on a OT, the other 1st round pick to be on a DT or OG, 2nd round pick on a RB or DT or OG. I don't think there's any real point to drafting a QB until we can keep him upright.
    Drafting for need hasnt exactly been our strong suit, actually drafting in general hasnt been our strong suit.

  15. #15
    eldfan's Avatar
    eldfan is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Greenville N.C.
    Age
    49
    Posts
    1,661
    Rep Power
    25

    Re: Seahawks Personnel Issues Reveal Smart Moves By Rams

    Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    Huh? Who was labeled a failure?
    I was just remembering some early post in the year when things were said about Jason Smith not developing quickly enough.
    :ramlogo:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Chat w/ Jim Thomas - Feb 24th
    By Nick in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: -02-25-2009, 07:01 PM
  2. Jim Thomas Chat - 2/10
    By Nick in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: -02-11-2009, 03:56 PM
  3. Jim Thomas Chat --March 25
    By RamWraith in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: -03-25-2008, 06:58 PM
  4. J. Thomas Live, 12-27
    By RamWraith in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: -12-28-2007, 11:46 AM
  5. Jim Thomas Live, Nov 20th--Lots of good stuff
    By RamWraith in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: -11-21-2007, 03:18 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •