throwback week

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

Re: Seahawks Personnel Issues Reveal Smart Moves By Rams

Quote Originally Posted by eldfan View Post
    I was just remembering some early post in the year when things were said about Jason Smith not developing quickly enough.
    Well, that wasn't something that I wrote.

I think Smith, considering that he came from a stand-up, spread offense, style in college, and had to battle through a minor knee injury, had done a very good job of progressing. I'd say he's already well above average in run blocking.

Give him an offseason in the weight room and a full camp and I expect he'll be ready to man the left side next year if Barron is not retained.

To the Hawk fans, I'd pose this question:

In hindsight, would you rather have Curry, an OT (Monroe, Oher), a QB (Sanchez), or a WR (Crabtree) as the player taken in the first round last year?

GROUND DOG 39 is offline Registered User

God, you never give up. I understand your point entirely about the priority of the positions mentioned, but at the end of the day real good football players are very hard to come by and thats exactly what theyv'e got.
    Three years from now is a better time to discuss this selection, and the others.

BlueTalon is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    To the Hawk fans, I'd pose this question:

In hindsight, would you rather have Curry, an OT (Monroe, Oher), a QB (Sanchez), or a WR (Crabtree) as the player taken in the first round last year?
    You are going to get different answers to that question. There are people in each of those factions, and others besides, on the Seahawk boards.

Personally, I think Sanchez is the one who has shown the most in his rookie year, but he would be doing nothing as a Seahawk -- either because he'd be on the bench behind Hasselbeck, or because he'd be running for his life more often than anyone would like. In hindsight? If I had known our line was going to be decimated by injuries early in the season, I'd have taken an OT, probably Monroe.

As it is, though, I'm OK with the Curry pick.

eldfan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    Well, that wasn't something that I wrote.

No I would agree Jason Smith was the pick to be made there. Some folks are not willing to see how players developed to label them failure or bust
    :ramlogo:

galen96 Guest

I fully expect an OL draft this year. We have excellent recievers, Hasselbeck's back is apparently fully healed and not an expected recurring issue(I expect another 2-4 years of Hass) and we have a few young RBs that are showing flashes of talent.

Giving Hasselbeck TIME to throw is really THE issue with the hawks this year. We all know he is capable of carrying a team on his back. He just needs time, which they aren't giving him this year.

So with that said. I expect at least 1 OT, 1 S, 1 OG in the first 3 rounds.

gumbercules Guest

Quote Originally Posted by BlueTalon View Post
    But he is physically comparable to Demarcus Ware and Sean Merriman, and could very well develop into that kind of player. He is still a rookie, after all.
    I don't see that happening. Ware and Merriman are 3-4 linebackers who would be DEs on a 4-3 defense. Curry is an inside linebacker in a 3-4 and can probably play both inside or out in a 4-3. I think his game is more comparable to guys like Brian Urlacher, Keith Bulluck, and Chad Greenway with his ability to go sideline to sideline in pursuit and his abilty in defending the pass (whether he's playing in a zone or covering a TE or RB). He has the potential to be just as good as any of those guys were in their primes.

I personally liked the pick for the Seahawks. They have two 1st rounders this next draft so I think they can pick up a LT in the 1st. With the other pick (depending on the spot of course) I can see them going with a RB (Spiller, Best) or one of the QBs to groom as a future replacement for Hasslebeck.

As for the Rams...I think Smith was the right choice as well. I know Spags is all about the trenches so starting out with a LT was a good choice for the philosophy. I can see the Rams going with Suh if he's available...though I think a QB or #1 wideout is just as big of a need (Suh just might be the best available for your needs, I don't see the Bucs passing on him though...so who ever gets the higher pick will probably take him).

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

It has to be worth noting that Curry has now been dropped from the Seahawks nickel package so is playing exclusively on early downs right now.

BlueTalon is offline Registered User

That's what they did against the Cards, and part of the game against the vikings. They may go back to something more normal for our upcoming game with you guys. Or not.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12