RamWraith is offline Registered User

Seahawks went to the Super Bowl, and a Rams game broke out

BY JEFF GORDON
    STLTODAY.COM SPORTS COLUMNIST
    Monday, Feb. 06 2006

Rams Nation can feel Seattle’s pain today. Watching the Seahawks fail to win
    Super Bowl XL was a lot like watching the Rams fail to win games this season.

The Seahawks’ M.O. was, as Stevie Nicks sings, hauntingly familiar.

Seattle had a terrific game plan against the Steelers. They came out flying on
    offense and defense. They had every opportunity to build a significant early
    lead and establish control of the game.

But a mistake here, a mistake there -– and a bad break in-between -– kept them
    from winning a championship that was there for the taking. Seattle should have
    scored at least 17 first-half points instead of three.

In the second half, the Seahawks had golden opportunities to take control of
    the game. And each time they squandered their chance.

Once again, we were reminded that poor execution can always undermine the great
    talent and the bright football minds. Clean efforts win as many games as
    artistic performances.

In many ways, the NFL is extraordinarily complex. On the grease board, plays
    can look like formulas for rocket fuel. Mastering a playbook is a lot like
    mastering organic chemistry.

But pro football is simple, too. You have to catch balls thrown to you. When
    running a route along the sideline, you must know where the sideline is. You
    must block without grabbing on. You cannot free-lance on defense, especially if
    you are a safety.

Let us recount all the ways the Seahawks beat themselves.

* When Seahawks guard Chris Gray was flagged for holding Pittsburgh's James
    Farrior, he negated Darrell Jackson's 18-yard catch on third down. That play
    would have moved Seattle into scoring range at the Steelers 23. Instead, the
    Seahawks punted the ball away.

* Seahawks tight end Jerramy Stevens dropped three passes at critical points
    in the game. He got wide open, quarterback Matt Hasselbeck delivered the ball
    right on the money . . . and Stevens failed to make the catch.

“I can't look at anybody but myself,” Stevens told reporters after the game. “I
    can't remember the last time I played this poorly.”

With a little more help from his teammates, Hasselbeck could have enjoyed one
    of the greatest passing days in Super Bowl history.

* Here is another example of that: Jackson's “pass interference” penalty in
    the end zone. That cost Seattle a touchdown. It was a weak officiating call, at
    best, because the defender had no chance at the ball and he and Jackson
    exchanged light pushes on the play. The Seahawks settled for a field goal,
    their only first-half points.

* Near the end of the first half, Jackson could have advanced the Seahawks to
    the Pittsburgh 1 with a clutch reception. But he didn’t seem aware of the
    sideline and he made no effort to get a second foot down inbounds. Josh Brown
    later missed a 54-yard field goal attempt.

* The Seahawks were about to take the lead when Hasselbeck completed a pass to
    Stevens at the Pittsburgh 1-yard line. But Sean Locklear was flagged for
    holding, Hasselbeck was sacked on the next play -– and that should-be scoring
    drive ended with a bad Hasselbeck interception.

* Mike Holmgren’s clock management at the end of the first half -– and again
    at the end of the game -– was eerily Mike Martz-like. Where was the urgency?
    Where was the focus on getting the ball down the field and, as much as humanly
    possible, out of bounds as well?

* The Seahawks defense undid 3 ½ hours of pretty good work by allowing two big
    plays. The unit, with a Rams-esque lapse, allowed Willie Parker to break a
    75-yard touchdown run. Michael Boulware had a shot at Parker, but he whiffed.

Somewhere in America, Adam Archuleta and Mike Furrey could relate.

And the Seahawks got suckered by Antwaan Randle El’s end-around option pass -–
    precisely the sort of play he has become famous for.

Again, Archuleta and Furrey could relate,

Otherwise, the Seahawks contained the Steelers' running attack and hassled Ben
    Roethlisberger into one of the worst Super Bowl performances ever. There is no
    earthly way the Seahawks should have lost that game.

But that’s the beauty -– or ugliness -- of pro football, All the might-haves,
    would-haves and should-haves amount to nothing.

Somewhere out there, Torry Holt, Isaac Bruce, Orlando Pace and friends were
    suffering flashbacks watching that Seattle loss unfold.

NY RAMFAN is offline Registered User

Re: Seahawks went to the Super Bowl, and a Rams game broke out

AS much as I agree with Jeff Gordon, still agravates me the fact that the UMPS made all gross mistakes all in Steelers favor. If we are still talking about the poor officiating, is because IT WAS a factor. It we were there instead of them I would burn the dome down!!

RamWraith is offline Registered User

The thing that really bugs me in all this is that this is nothing new. Games have been officiated poorly for several years now. This is getting so much attention because of the fact people actually paid attention to what was going on. Where were these people in 2002, when New England used "illegal for most games" tactics and the lack of zebra support to win their game.

Curly Horns is offline Registered User

I agree, it is nothing new. The officials have always been a part of the game and in many cases teams simply have to persevere.

Many claim the pats were holding the Rams receivers throughout SB36. Certainly there were some isolated cases of holding, but for the most part the Rams had receivers that were wide open on many plays. Warner was simply intent, with the deep ball, on many plays through most of the first half. He failed to progress through his reads and check down to open receivers. He threw some bad passes and he two intercepted.

If the pats had been holding so blatantly throughout the game, as some claim, then the Rams would never have tied the score by primarily using the passing game in the fourth quarter. Did the pats simply stop holding in the 4th quarter? Think about it. Watch the game again.

If you compare the two most recent Rams SB's you will find that the Rams had many calls go against them in SB34. They had more penalty yards than the Titans. The thing about SB34 that was rather amazing....No turnovers for either team. Another interesting fact from SB34 - 5 trips to the redzone in the first half for the Rams and only 9 points. Failure to capatalize in the redzone is generally a sure way to lose a game and it almost cost the Rams in SB34.

Another comparisson between the two SB's. Faulk had more rushing attempts and yards in SB36 than he did in SB34. But so many fans say Faulk was not used enough in SB36. Yet he was used almost exclusively in the 3rd quarter during one of the Rams two drives during that quarter. And the Rams were behind on the scoreboard. They did not give up on the run as some try to claim.

When teams lose games and especially so in big games, fans tend to look for excuses and then begin to place blame.

The Rams beat themselves in SB36 as they were very capable of doing in those days. It wasn't the officials. It wasn't the pats occasional holding. It wasn't the head coach. Just like the seahawks players in SB40, it was the Rams players who beat themselves in SB36.

Rambos is offline Registered User

Clock managment at the end of the half, we would have been roasted for weeks if the was the Rams.

OldRamsfan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RamWraith
    The thing that really bugs me in all this is that this is nothing new. Games have been officiated poorly for several years now. This is getting so much attention because of the fact people actually paid attention to what was going on. Where were these people in 2002, when New England used "illegal for most games" tactics and the lack of zebra support to win their game.
    Nice Post"RW" Its unfortunate that the ref's are so involved with how games are looked at and end up ... But "ferters" in my opinion said it right , It ultimately the win lose of a game remains on who plays better and mistake free football ... I remember a time where the ref's did not get involved until their was an ave us foul and let players play football , Now with that said I realizes that rules must be unforced to keep players from playing dirty football , I think theirs so many rules that its hard to keep an eye out on everything so when something comes they call it or don't call it in fear that they are not doing their job and they end up not doing their job ( think to long and sometimes its wrong) (?)