Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By AvengerRam
  • 1 Post By mde8352gorams

Thread: Search continues as Ryan backs out of Rams job

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Search continues as Ryan backs out of Rams job

Search continues as Ryan backs out of Rams job
    4 hours ago • By Jim Thomas

NEW ORLEANS • Farewell to Rob Ryan; we barely knew you. The almost defensive coordinator of the Rams pulled out of the job just when his hiring was about to become official.

At the end of the day, Ryan had misgivings about coaching a 4-3 scheme without any defensive assistants of his hiring on the Rams’ staff.

“He wanted it to work, and I just think he realized over the weekend that it was not (a fit),” said a source familiar with Ryan, speaking on the condition of anonymity. “Rob was torn.”

Ryan arrived in town Friday, with expectations that his deal would be finalized sometime over the weekend. In fact, as early as Friday the Rams were prepared to officially announce his hiring. But nothing happened.

Ryan attended the Blues’ hockey game Saturday, and his wife came into town that day as well. After the weekend passed, there were expectations that Ryan’s hiring would be announced early in the week. Instead there was Tuesday’s brief – and surprising – announcement by the Rams that “after extensive discussions involving defensive philosophy, the Rams and Rob Ryan agreed that he was not the right fit for the defensive coordinator position.”

And that was that.

The twin issues of walking into a situation in which no members of the defensive staff were his hires, as well as attempting to coach a 4-3 defense in St. Louis may have been deal-breakers. At this stage of his coaching career, the 50-year-old Ryan wondered if he’d get another chance to work as a coordinator in the league if things didn’t work out in St. Louis. He had time left on his contract when recently fired by Dallas, so he still gets paid by the Cowboys if he doesn’t land another job for the 2013 season.

When reality set in and it was time to finalize things with the Rams, it was a case of: “This is not my defense. This is not going to be my staff.”

Ryan has lots of respect for Fisher, and didn’t think it would be fair to sign on with the Rams if he had such misgivings.

There was some speculation Tuesday that money was an issue: not so much what Ryan would’ve been paid, but the overall budget for the defensive staff. But team sources, as well as those close to Ryan, didn’t think that was an issue.

So the search continues. Fisher, who could not be reached for comment Tuesday, planned all along to take his time looking for a coordinator – that’s his style. But he didn’t want to wait this long.

The Post-Dispatch subsequently learned that the Rams are expected to reach out to Dick Jauron, recently fired as defensive coordinator of the Cleveland Browns.

Jauron has been around the league a long time, including stints as head coach in Chicago (1999-2003) and Buffalo (2006-2009). He was the first defensive coordinator of the expansion Jacksonville Jaguars (1995-98) and has been a coordinator in Detroit and Cleveland. In the early ‘90s, he coached current Rams secondary coach Chuck Cecil in Green Bay. Unlike Ryan, Jauron has extensive 4-3 coaching experience.

Fisher also could be considering position coaches on the staffs of Super Bowl participants San Francisco and Baltimore, although it seems unlikely the ***** would grant permission to a division rival to interview a member of its staff.

There could be some under-the-radar candidates. For example, some prominent defensive coordinators in the college ranks could be possible candidates, including Todd Grantham of Georgia and Kirby Smart of Alabama.

If push comes to shove, Fisher could promote from within. Both Cecil and assistant head coach Dave McGinnis have past coordinator experience, although McGinnis and Fisher are thought to prefer having McGinnis continue his duties as assistant head coach.

There was one Rams hiring announced Tuesday, that of Frank Bush as linebackers coach. Bush spent the past two seasons as linebackers coach for the Tennessee Titans. But he, too, has coordinator’s experience – running the Houston Texans’ defense in 2009 and ‘10.

In ‘09 under Bush, the Texans established what were then franchise lows for fewest points allowed per game (20.8) and fewest yards allowed per game (324.9). In ‘09 and ‘10, Houston yielded what was then the two lowest rushing yardage totals in franchise history. The Texans entered the league in 2002 as an expansion squad.

Prior to that, Bush was part of defenses that ranked 12th (‘04) and eighth (‘05) in Arizona as linebackers coach. He also spent one season there as assistant head coach. In nine years with Denver (1995-2003), Bush earned two Super Bowl championship rings, and at various times worked as the Broncos’ linebackers coach, secondary coach and special teams coach.

Bush started his coaching career with the Houston Oilers from 1992-94 and worked with Fisher on that staff in ‘93 and ‘94. Bush replaces Blake Williams, whose contract was not renewed by Fisher after the 2012 season.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Re: Search continues as Ryan backs out of Rams job

Is it me, or does it seem like Ryan's "people" are spinning this to make it seem like it was his decision?

I, of course, was not there, but I have a hard time believing that Ryan walked out while Jeff Fisher pleaded, "Rob... Rob... don't go... I can change... Rob!!!!"
    lostsoul likes this.

mde8352gorams is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    Is it me, or does it seem like Ryan's "people" are spinning this to make it seem like it was his decision?

I, of course, was not there, but I have a hard time believing that Ryan walked out while Jeff Fisher pleaded, "Rob... Rob... don't go... I can change... Rob!!!!"
    Not only that, but Jeff presented Rob with a watch that had the ability to run for only "5 minutes".

I am truly happy that we didn't hire Ryan. I think if Jeff feels comfortable with Dick Jauron, that would be an excellent hire. I like someone who has worked with Tom Coughlin, because he preaches discipline on the field and off. With our league leading penalty title, we need to display more discipline both on offense and defense.

Go Rams!
    live4ramin likes this.

Rambos is offline Registered User

Sounds like Fisher was going to do what most of us thought. Control Rob and run his (Fishers) defense with Rob calling plays.

It seemed more like Fisher was doing the Ryan family a favor more then hiring a DC. Rob wanted to run a 3-4 and hire his own staff? OK but his record does not indicate he deserves that kind of control.

I have to wonder if Rob was contacted by the Saints and was told he could interview or Rob just came to his sense and said this is not my defense I will sit out a year.

I think Fisher laid it out in the first meeting and Rob said OK until he thought it through or has another option.

If you look back it was people close to Rob saying he was going to be hired not the Rams.

Azul e Oro is offline Registered User

A DC who has any HC ambition would have to think twice about taking a job with no input on assistants or scheme.What's the central qualification, then ? Apart from being gelded and having a good radio voice. If the defense is successful, who gets the credit ? Nobody wants to be the next Flajole.

If those criteria are non-negotiable, I don't see how Fisher has any choice but to hire a schematic "Yes Man" from within or get a lifer assistant who has already blown their chance at another HC gig or never wanted the big chair & is content or at least resigned to that, eg guys like Jauron or McGinnis .

Good for stability but concentrates a lot of power/influence in the HC.

RealRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Azul e Oro View Post
    If those criteria are non-negotiable, I don't see how Fisher has any choice but to hire a schematic "Yes Man" from within or get a lifer assistant who has already blown their chance at another HC gig or never wanted the big chair & is content or at least resigned to that, eg guys like Jauron or McGinnis .

Good for stability but concentrates a lot of power/influence in the HC.
    A definite possibility, no doubt. IMO Dave McGinnis has the tools and experience (even several years with HC Fisher) to fill the DC position just right. It would be perfect timing too.

Perhaps McGinnis is the candidate the Rams were thinking all along "while 'talking' with Rob Ryan".

Azul e Oro is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RealRam View Post
    A definite possibility, no doubt. IMO Dave McGinnis has the tools and experience (even several years with HC Fisher) to fill the DC position just right. It would be perfect timing too.

Perhaps McGinnis is the candidate the Rams were thinking all along "while 'talking' with Rob Ryan".
    But doesn't it sound like he'd rather just carry Fisher's headset or whatever an Asst HC does ? And didn't all the Titan guys post here that Cecil sucked at DC ? Both would probably be competent enough under Fisher's control to get results especially as the already-considerable talent improves but hardly likely to be DC diamonds in the rough at this late stage in their careers, are they ?

My druthers; a hungry but energetic young turk from outside.Keep it fresh & let one charismatic voice communicate Fisher's scheme to the D. These guys need less guru, more macho cheerleader with competent gamecalling skills; that's why Ryan was considered, imo.The next Harbaugh, in other words. Hell, I'd settle for the next Chuckie.
    Edit: And yes , I know Gruden was an OC; it's the attitude I'm talking about, of course.
    Last edited by Azul e Oro; -01-31-2013 at 01:59 AM.

Agrajag is offline Registered User

I think it's about more than just being Fisher's schematic yes man, great description by the way and in no way am I taking it out of context as I agree with your take on where they were going and that it should be about the attitude.

I'm only guessing that Ryan's failing in this regard would have been his insistence on the 3-4 base defense which as everyone knows is very dependent on personal for the front 3 due to gap responsibilities. I think a good defensive coordinator could make a great case to improve the defense even further and make a name for himself in the process without having to make risky personnel changes when you know that's one area the Rams are doing well.

RealRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Azul e Oro View Post
    But doesn't it sound like he'd rather just carry Fisher's headset or whatever an Asst HC does? And didn't all the Titan guys post here that Cecil sucked at DC? Both would probably be competent enough under Fisher's control to get results especially as the already-considerable talent improves but hardly likely to be DC diamonds in the rough at this late stage in their careers, are they ?

My druthers; a hungry but energetic young turk from outside. Keep it fresh & let one charismatic voice communicate Fisher's scheme to the D. These guys need less guru, more macho cheerleader with competent gamecalling skills; that's why Ryan was considered, IMO. The next Harbaugh, in other words. Hell, I'd settle for the next Chuckie.
    Edit: And yes , I know Gruden was an OC; it's the attitude I'm talking about, of course.

You make a good and valid point on McG alright versus going outside. Either way it will be an interesting outcome.

Ram Dragoon is offline Registered User

If the Rams where serious about hiring Ryan...and Ryan backed out because...blah, blah, blah....dumb move. If you wanta increase your NFL stock you go and show you can be successeful anyhwere. More to the point if you can prove your flexible and adaptable in your defensive schemes then the sky is the limit.

Now who else out there of the 32 teams is looking for a DC? Not that many. And there still is Lovie Smith whom if he wanted a DC job could get it well above Ryan (garnered respect from arround the league and a proven track record). Its very Possible Ryan will not be on any sidelines in 2013