Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RamWraith is offline Registered User

Search for next coach is growing more urgent

By Jim Thomas
    ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
    Thursday, Jan. 08 2009
    Ten days into the offseason, the Rams have interviewed just two candidates for
    their head-coaching position. But the search is intensifying — and just in
    time, it appears.

With the reported hiring of Eric Mangini by the Cleveland Browns, the NFL's
    annual coaching carousel has reached critical mass. Suddenly, there is an
    increased sense of urgency among teams looking for a new head coach.

With the first "domino" falling in Mangini, the pressure is on for teams with
    vacancies to make sure they get the right guy before he's snapped up by someone
    else. Often overlooked, but just as important, is hiring a staff of assistants.
    The more head coaches that get hired, the more assistants get snapped up and
    taken off the market.

At first blush, the Rams appear to be playing from behind. Denver, for example,
    already has interviewed six head-coaching candidates. The Rams are known to
    have interviewed only Green Bay assistant Winston Moss and Jim Haslett, who
    replaced the fired Scott Linehan as Rams head coach for the final 12 games of
    the season.

"I don't think we're behind," Rams general manager Billy Devaney insisted.
    "They way I look at it, I've already interviewed Leslie Frazier and Rex Ryan.
    And I know Todd Bowles. I know Steve Spagnuolo."

Devaney is pleased with the way the search has gone so far.

"I think the process is going very good," Devaney said. "We're getting great
    feedback from the committee. I still think it's realistic to have this done by
    the end of next week. ... We've identified our candidates. Some of the
    interviews might depend on what happens this weekend. We may not necessarily
    interview all of the candidates that we've received permission to talk to."

But the interviews with Frazier and Ryan — defensive coordinators at Minnesota
    and Baltimore, respectively — took place a year ago while Devaney was with
    Atlanta. Although he has a familiarity with them, the interviews still have to
    take place with the Rams.

The pace of the search picks up today, with former New York Giants coach Jim
    Fassel in town for an interview. Devaney told the Post-Dispatch on Wednesday
    that New England offensive coordinator-quarterbacks coach Josh McDaniels, 32,
    will be interviewed Friday and Ryan, 46, will be interviewed Sunday.

The team also has received permission to talk to Frazier, Dallas wide receivers
    coach Ray Sherman, and Miami secondary coach-assistant head coach Todd Bowles.
    Devaney said the team will try to get those interviews conducted next week.
    Contrary to some reports, Devaney said the team does not plan to interview
    Tampa Bay assistant head coach Raheem Morris.

Devaney flew back with Haslett on Tuesday from Los Angeles, where Haslett was
    interviewed by Devaney, club owners Chip Rosenbloom and Lucia Rodriguez, and
    senior adviser John Shaw.

"We covered a variety of topics, from the players, to coaching staff, to what
    needs to be done to fix the team," Haslett said. "And what needs to be done to
    get the city back on board with the team."

The Haslett interview took almost five hours.

"I thought it went well," Devaney said. "Jim had a detailed plan."

Haslett declined to comment on specifics of his meeting, but team sources said
    the name of former Rams head coach Mike Martz did come up as a possible staff
    addition.

Only the interviews with finalists take place with club ownership and Shaw
    involved. All of the preliminary interviews involve Devaney, plus search
    committee members Bobby Beathard and Rams director of player personnel Lawrence
    McCutcheon. Now retired, Beathard is a longtime NFL personnel executive who
    helped get Devaney into the league.

Devaney said all the interviews scheduled for this week and early next week
    will be preliminary interviews.

RAM-BLINGS

Green Bay could have some interest in Haslett as a defensive coordinator.
    Packers head coach Mike McCarthy once worked under Haslett in New Orleans. But
    Haslett's priority is the Rams' head-coaching job, and McCarthy may not be able
    to wait for the Rams' search to conclude.

Rams linebackers coach Mike Cox is scheduled to interview next week for the
    linebackers coach position at the University of Washington.

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

Re: Search for next coach is growing more urgent

What a bogus premise for an article. One team has signed an HC, and the Rams were apparently not interested in Mangini. They have several good candidates lined up for interviews.

Why are people trying so hard to make this process seem problematic? Yes, the Rams made a horrible choice last time they had to select a new HC, but Devaney was not involved in that decision.

TekeRam is offline Registered User

I agree Av, more to the point NO ONE ELSE was interested in Mangini, as he was only contacted by the Browns as far as I know.

It just means the Browns won't be grabbing Ryan or Grimm as far as I'm concerned. Bully for us.

shower beers is offline Registered User

I am glad that this is going to be over soon...too anxious, and too many names to keep track of.

Truth is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    What a bogus premise for an article. One team has signed an HC, and the Rams were apparently not interested in Mangini. They have several good candidates lined up for interviews.

Why are people trying so hard to make this process seem problematic? Yes, the Rams made a horrible choice last time they had to select a new HC, but Devaney was not involved in that decision.

Well, yes and no. Do we need to hire a new coach as a knee jerk reaction? No. Do we need to move forward with a sense of urgency? Yes. The article made 2 good points. First, as other teams make their selections for HC, the pool of front runners decreases. Second, as HCs are hired, the availability of quality assistants shrinks as well.

I'm not panicing at all. However, the mood at Ram's Park seems laid back, to say the least. I realize Devaney interviewed coaches last year. However, he didn't interview them about the RAMS position. As with the rest of the team, I'd like to see a sense of urgency and purpose from our FO. I'm not saying they're dropping the ball (yet). And if we sign Haslett, I just want to feel like this was an actual interview process, not just a formality before hiring Haslett.
    That's my story, and I'm sticking to it!!

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Truth View Post
    Well, yes and no. Do we need to hire a new coach as a knee jerk reaction? No. Do we need to move forward with a sense of urgency? Yes. The article made 2 good points. First, as other teams make their selections for HC, the pool of front runners decreases. Second, as HCs are hired, the availability of quality assistants shrinks as well.

I'm not panicing at all. However, the mood at Ram's Park seems laid back, to say the least. I realize Devaney interviewed coaches last year. However, he didn't interview them about the RAMS position. As with the rest of the team, I'd like to see a sense of urgency and purpose from our FO. I'm not saying they're dropping the ball (yet). And if we sign Haslett, I just want to feel like this was an actual interview process, not just a formality before hiring Haslett.
    It's this laid back or slow pace that has me thinking Haslett is going to get the job.

keith m. klink Guest

Well , the talk of MARTZ coming back with HASLETT bothers me to no end. if his over flow of pass pass pass and throw a run in isn't where i thought the RAMS were leaning..I was under the impression the RAMS were moving back to the old grind yards on the ground and a few passes here and there. SO what goes on if thats the scenario , i know MARTZ isn't head coach , but coordinators are to have freedom to coach, and everyone might think yea , GSOT II .... but it won't be that way , and would we want another flash in the pan that burns out in a few years . i would like the STEELERS mindset . for 35 years its been TOUGH DEFENSE , and strong O-LINE for their smash mouth rushing (they won on the backs of there DEFENSE and O-LINE STRENGTH. This formula hasn't changed with there coaches , it's a team and owner mindset . DEFENSIVE AND OFFENSIVE LINES WIN CHAMPIONCHIPS ...PERIOD.

Azul e Oro is online now Registered User

The only thing I take from that report is that I am glad the Rams aren't putting the HC cart before the GM horse like The Browns have apparently decided to do. If they really had a shot at Pioli, this move seems rash.

I forget who the Browns owner is but what makes him qualified to pick a head coach?

Ditto The Broncos. Has Bowlen gone a little Al Davis in the head?

Falconator Guest

yes, I too think that article was "much ado about nothing". Mangini got hired - so what? Mangini will probably want to take half of the Jets staff with him as assistants - no loss there for the Rams.

Devaney obviously is comfortable with 2-3 of these guys he has yet to interview for Rams but who he interviewed for the Falcons - probably Rex Ryan and Jim Schwartz - I think its Rex Ryan - I also think that DeVaney thinks he can get Rex Ryan - therefore he's not very nervous..........I have no inside info. and I am talking out of my arss for sure - but, that is my Wild GUESS

Ramblin` Ram is offline Registered User

Mangini has hired Rob Ryan to be his DC ..which i personally think is a bit of a bummer...one could argue that Rob is better than Rex as DC goes, im not saying he is but he has done a good job with a lot less talent than Rex has and is off the Belichick coaching tree (for whatever that is worth..)

i would question why the raiders didnt give him the HC job over in Cokeland but any bad decision they make can be answered in two words...Al Davis!

mde8352gorams is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Falconator View Post
    yes, I too think that article was "much ado about nothing". Mangini got hired - so what? Mangini will probably want to take half of the Jets staff with him as assistants - no loss there for the Rams.

Devaney obviously is comfortable with 2-3 of these guys he has yet to interview for Rams but who he interviewed for the Falcons - probably Rex Ryan and Jim Schwartz - I think its Rex Ryan - I also think that DeVaney thinks he can get Rex Ryan - therefore he's not very nervous..........I have no inside info. and I am talking out of my arss for sure - but, that is my Wild GUESS
    I hope your "arss" is right, Ryan would be huge for us. He knows what type of defensive talent it takes to win consistently. Schwartz, although I'm hearing he's a "cocky" type or Frazier would be good too.

I do agree with 1 point made in the article and that's as HC's are hired assistants get taken off the market. However, we still need to make the right choice as HC. The horse must go before the cart! I have a lot confidence in Devaney. He's using expert help to make the right choice. Good for us.

Go Rams!
    Last edited by mde8352gorams; -01-08-2009 at 05:36 PM.

NJ Ramsfan1 is online now Registered User

The premise of this article is ludicrous. No, the Rams cannot drag their feet and take forever, but there is no rush here. What difference does it make that the Browns hired Eric Mangini quickly? It has nothing to do with the Rams situation. They're doing things the right way and performing their due diligence on a multitude of candidates. Some are already known to Devaney from past dealings. You don't hire a guy just to quickly get it over with and appease fans and sportswriters- you do your homework and identify the BEST possible choice. It will play out soon enough.

PARamfan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by laram0 View Post
    It's this laid back or slow pace that has me thinking Haslett is going to get the job.
    I don't think so cause if it's all a big smoke screen then they can just give him the job now and let him get on with hiring his staff.
    Think about it they have already met the criteria for the "Rooney rule" and have interviewed a couple other people besides.
    I think he's going to have to legitamately be a better fit than all the other candidates to get the job it's not a foregone conclusion that it is his already.

Ram Dragoon is offline Registered User

I worry if there isn't a HC picked by Feb. 15th. Its a good a mark to have one by that time to give the HC time to review the draft, make some contacts and start working toward free agency. Besides, the play offs are not over yet and some canidates will be rather busy.

Lovie Smith had to wait before he got his chance to intereview with Chicago. So rather then speculate as to why the Rams haven't named their guy, it matters who might be HC and what that would mean for the Rams.

But if one has a positive to look at, the Rams will not make the mistake of taking Mangini. I think he is better suited as a coordinator then a HC

Truth is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by laram0 View Post
    That's kind of what I was thinking as well.
    That's my story, and I'm sticking to it!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast