tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

This season has been alot different for the Rams then usual

ok so maybe losing to the niners wasnt much of a surprise after what we have seen over the last few seasons, but the Rams are still in position to make a good run for the NFC West title.

The main thing that has surprised me has been the interceptions. Marc Bulger hasnt thrown one in 3 games! Now he has only thrown 2 TDs so far, and that will improve, but for Bulger and the Rams its really amazing that they haven't given up a pick, especially compared to what we are used to.

Also, the defense is soon to surpass the interception total from last year. Looking at the defensive totals from last year, the Rams had 13 interceptions from 16 games. They already have 6 picks from 3 games this year. This is just great in my opinion. I think that the main reason for the change is not the secondary, although that helps.

I think its the linebackers. Pisa and Spoon have both tipped a pass into the hands of another Ram player so far this year, and surely this wont be the last time that happens. When Lovie Smith was here, he made the Rams defensive players swat at every ball in the air, and a lot of the Rams picks from 2003 came off tipped balls. This was missing for the last few seasons, and its no surprise that the interception numbers for the Rams defense fell during that time.

Also, just my two cents on certain rookies: I cant see it being too long before Tye Hill starts in front of Travis Fisher. Although Fisher has played very well at times, he has missed a few tackles, and i cant help but think Haslett could use that as an excuse to start Hill.

And although the circumstances in how he came to be starting werent exactly desired, Victor Adeyanju more then made the most of his first start, and even lead the team in tackles. I see big things in his future. I just hope the team can retain Leonard Little, because having those two guys at defensive end in seasons to come will be devastating for the opposition.

Varg6 is offline Registered User

Re: This season has been alot different for the Rams then usual

Well, I think after actually getting a good D, why wouldn't Little want to stay with the Rams? He can't really go Adam Archuleta on the team, by saying the D isn't good, we get laughed at I have to go to a better team, bla bla bla. I think he'll stay along with KC, and hopefully Pisa...I think they all have good reason to come back if they get the extensions which they SHOULD receive...shortly...Pisa btw needs like an 8 year extension or something!

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

I think you're right. If they'res one thing these players have shown, it's comittment to the team. The least thing we can do is commit to them.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by tomahawk247 View Post
    ok so maybe losing to the niners wasnt much of a surprise after what we have seen over the last few seasons, but the Rams are still in position to make a good run for the NFC West title.

The main thing that has surprised me has been the interceptions. Marc Bulger hasnt thrown one in 3 games! Now he has only thrown 2 TDs so far, and that will improve, but for Bulger and the Rams its really amazing that they haven't given up a pick, especially compared to what we are used to.

Also, the defense is soon to surpass the interception total from last year. Looking at the defensive totals from last year, the Rams had 13 interceptions from 16 games. They already have 6 picks from 3 games this year. This is just great in my opinion. I think that the main reason for the change is not the secondary, although that helps.

I think its the linebackers. Pisa and Spoon have both tipped a pass into the hands of another Ram player so far this year, and surely this wont be the last time that happens. When Lovie Smith was here, he made the Rams defensive players swat at every ball in the air, and a lot of the Rams picks from 2003 came off tipped balls. This was missing for the last few seasons, and its no surprise that the interception numbers for the Rams defense fell during that time.

Also, just my two cents on certain rookies: I cant see it being too long before Tye Hill starts in front of Travis Fisher. Although Fisher has played very well at times, he has missed a few tackles, and i cant help but think Haslett could use that as an excuse to start Hill.

And although the circumstances in how he came to be starting werent exactly desired, Victor Adeyanju more then made the most of his first start, and even lead the team in tackles. I see big things in his future. I just hope the team can retain Leonard Little, because having those two guys at defensive end in seasons to come will be devastating for the opposition.
    The addition of the new players on D and Hasletts systems are working.

bruce4life is offline Registered User

the key to our defensive success has been haslett's scheme plain and simple. witherspoon is a game changing middle linebacker but haslett's ability to dial up blitzes at right times and to maximize every defensive players ability is what is really running this team right now.

look at the 99 defensive team, frank gansz defensive scheme is what ran the ballclub. todd lyght wasnt a great corner but he was good enough in the right scheme, same with london fletcher, yes he is a good player but what has his team the bills done since he left as a free agent.

look at lovie smith defenses, he took a defense with what 8 new starters and 4 of them were rookies to the super bowl. its the scheme more than the players