Blindside Blitz is offline Registered User

Season Rides on O/D Lines

If we thought the 'lines' were key last year...they are even more 'key' this year.

With Marshall not himself (I never believe the Martz RAH RAH campaigns)...Pace still not signed...an obvious weakness at center...and Timmerman getting older....I am worried on offense. Bulger will need TIME....

I am officially worried about this unit.

On defense...the steady presence of Wistrom will hurt us more than we think...and with Little facing jail time....we can expect zero pass rush. Will the high draft pick DTs show up this season??

This entire season rides on both sides of the line of scrimmage. :upset:

Blindside Blitz

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Re: Season Rides on O/D Lines

Welcome to the Clan, Blindside, and nice first post.

I share some of your concern with respect to the offensive line, though I think it will come together as the season gets started. My expectation is that Pace will sign (at least for the tender) sometime after the first or second preseason game. As long as Turley is okay and Timmerman has another good year in him, things should be okay.

On the defensive line, I may be in a distinct minority, but I have a strange feeling that it will be a strength of the team. I think this will be the year that the trio of Pickett, Lewis and Kennedy proves to be what the Rams hoped for when they invested three first round picks on the DTs. I also think that Wistrom will be more easily replaced than many think, with Hargrove as the wild card in the DE mix.

One thing is certain, as you indicated, the health of the team will depend largely on the line play on both sides of the ball.

Blindside Blitz is offline Registered User

You're right Avenger.

I have this gut feeling that Kennedy is going to be a surprise stuffer. If we can get some speed on the edges...even if our new guy from GA Tech can provide something...Kennedy could inflict some damage.

I am still very worried about DLew....Pickett and Kennedy sounds more inviting to me at this point...with a DLew move to the RDE spot...of course this is all based on Little playing
    Blindside Blitz

txramsfan is offline Registered User

Welcome to the Clan Blindside, glad you are here.

Yep, you are right. We will only go as far as both lines take us.

UtterBlitz is offline Registered User

Welcome to the Clan Blindside Blitz. I like that signature picture.

I think the O line will get the job done. Yes there is some age on the line, but that comes with a lot of experience. I think they will be fine. Bulger played with them all last year and survived. Pace will sign. It's just a game of waiting.

The D line has me more concerned. I think they will be able to replace Wistrom. He brought good work ethics to the team and some leadership, but I think there are many others that will fill those holes. I am more concerned about the effects of Little's legal issues. If he is suspended or unfocused, we will be missing the pressure and sacks that he brings.

And what about the run defense? This was a big weak spot last year. Question for you guys..... which players are normally considered in the run defense? Is it the line or the secondary that provide the most containment for the run? I don't know the answer to this, but I am thinking that it is the secondary.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

txramsfan is offline Registered User

It all starts up front. The big uglies have to stuff the holes or stuff the run. Force the RB to either go outside in containment or force their way through the middle.

UtterBlitz is offline Registered User

Thanks tx.... well I hope they are working on it, because they stunk against the run last year.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Welcome to the Clan Blindside Blitz. I like that signature picture.
    Indeed, welcome. As for the signature picture, gotta be the best I've seen here. Sweet.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Welcome, Blindside. I've said it before and I will continue to say it...by the end of the season Pickett & Kennedy will be considered one of the best interior D-lines in the league. And I think that Fisher is going to produce better than some think. If Hargrove comes along this year, great, but we will start needing him more next season. As far as Little, we've still got him this year...he may belong to the Missouri Department of Corrections, next year.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod