r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Seattle Seahawks' Aaron Curry Hits 'Bumpy Road'/Laurinaitis Shines

Seattle Seahawks' Aaron Curry hits 'bumpy road'
    By Bill Coats
    ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
    11/27/2009

Of the many pre-draft visits highly regarded Wake Forest linebacker Aaron Curry made, he enjoyed his trip to St. Louis the most.

"It was my favorite. I really had a lot of fun," Curry said. "They allowed us to kind of let our hair down and be ourselves. It wasn't just going from room-to-room and doing interviews, the business of football. They allowed us to be in the players' lounge and hang out with each other, hang out with the (Rams) players, and watch a few snaps of practice. ... It took the stress out of the whole process."

Curry was near the top of the Rams' draft board, but they went for Baylor tackle Jason Smith with the No. 2 overall selection. Curry was taken by Seattle — the Rams' opponent on Sunday at the Edward Jones Dome — in the No. 4 slot.

The Rams used their second-round pick, No. 35 overall, to take Ohio State linebacker James Laurinaitis. Of the top 38 draft choices, five were linebackers. All five earned starting jobs, and at least a couple of them are emerging as strong candidates for NFL defensive rookie of the year.

Curry probably isn't among them. He's third on the Seahawks in tackles, with 48, including two sacks, but his play has tapered off a bit lately.

"He's a dedicated guy who works hard, prepares well," Seattle coach Jim Mora said. "He's going through the natural struggles of a rookie in the National Football League. On the field, the off-the-field things ... there's a lot."

Curry, a 6-foot-2, 254-pound outside linebacker, said: "I don't think I've been playing as consistent as I need to be. It's been a bumpy road."

As the first linebacker drafted, Curry could've been derailed by lofty expectations. Yet he insisted that he felt no obligation to prove himself the best of the bunch.

"That's never been anything that motivated me," Curry said. "I'm motivated by our team being successful, I'm motivated by my family and friends. I don't really have any personal agendas."

Nor does Laurinaitis, a 6-2, 247-pound middle linebacker. He wants all his first-year colleagues to succeed.

"I feel a bond with every rookie," Curry said. "I root for those guys. I want to see who makes it out of the class, and you hope that a lot of people do. ... It's cool to kind of look around and see where guys are succeeding. You wish that they're doing well. You want their families to be taken care of, you want their dreams to be lived out."

Laurinaitis is particularly interested in his fellow linebackers. "I hope down the road (people) can say, 'Wow, all those guys were pretty legit pros,'" he said. "I wish well for all those guys, because I know what they're going through as a rookie linebacker."

The learning curve is steep, Mora pointed out. "From a mental standpoint, the linebacker position is the most challenging," he said.

That's particularly true for the man in the middle, the so-callled "quarterback of the defense" who is charged with reading the offense and getting his teammates properly aligned.

Curry appreciates the challenge that Laurinaitis was handed.

"He's in a position where he's required to make all the calls, all the checks and get the defense set up," Curry said. "And I think he's done a very good job of that."

LAURINAITIS SHINES

With a 17-tackle splurge Sunday against Arizona, Laurinaitis boosted his team-leading season total to 96. That's the most among the league's rookies going into this week's games, according to statistics compiled by the various teams.

Laurinaitis also has two interceptions, a forced fumble and a fumble recovery. He and Houston outside linebacker Brian Cushing arguably have made the biggest defensive impact as rookies.

The last six — and eight of the last nine — NFL defensive rookies of the year have been linebackers. But let's not talk about awards with six weeks left in the season, Laurinaitis cautioned.

"I don't focus on any of that, and I never did in college, either," he said. "It's stuff you can't control. For me, it's always been more about wins and losses. I would've given all those college awards back for a national-championship ring. I can honestly say that."

Plus, he conceded that he's had his share of missteps, including some pass-coverage errors.

"With me, until I play that perfect game — which no one ever does — I won't be happy," Laurinaitis said. "I like to look at more of the negative stuff. Any time I have a minus on my sheet, I'm like, 'OK, how can I do that better next time?'"

As Mora sees it, only a little fine-tuning is required for Laurinaitis.

"I think he's very solid in every area," Mora said. "He's going to be one of those guys that plays in this league for a long, long, long time and has a lasting impact on that team."

Ramblin` Ram is offline Registered User

Re: Seattle Seahawks' Aaron Curry Hits 'Bumpy Road'/Laurinaitis Shines

ive seen reports that Mora is gonna lighten` Curry`s workload..apparently he wants Curry to concentrate on 1st and 2nd downs with him only sparingly being used on 3rd down..as opposed to what has gone down so far with him being used as an every down linebacker..

im sure in time Curry will be a good player in the league..(even if not the kinda beast many including myself thought he would be) but its interesting that Mora has brushed upon him being a bit worn out physically & mentally at this stage of his rookie season... where as on the other hand Laurinaitis had arguably the best game of his football career on sunday..playing at IMO a more mentally if not physically draining linebacker position..

food for thought..

regardless of the result sunday,im guessing Curry wont be trash talking this time like he did during our first meeting..

RockinRam is offline Registered User

I love how Laurinaitis gets no love from the NFL for rookie of the week, and rookie of the year. It's ridiculous. He is one of the best, if not THE best, rookie in the league.

rawkhrdr is offline Registered User

I know this is a little late on this...however, I think that Curry's play diminished when Lofa Tatupu went down. He is not getting more attention from the offense because they don't have a 3 time All Pro at MLB, instead David Hawthorne is there. While Hawthorne is playing well...opponents don't game plan around him. That might account for why Curry's play may have dropped slightly.

To be fair, not all evil robots are killers.

Ahmedrams81 is offline Registered User

Laurinitis should be rookie of the year no doubt. Only competition he's got is Harvin IMO.

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by rawkhrdr View Post
    I know this is a little late on this...however, I think that Curry's play diminished when Lofa Tatupu went down. He is not getting more attention from the offense because they don't have a 3 time All Pro at MLB, instead David Hawthorne is there. While Hawthorne is playing well...opponents don't game plan around him. That might account for why Curry's play may have dropped slightly.
    I'm sure Curry will improve and become a solid NFL LB, but he certainly isn't living up to the hype. During the preseason, most of the talk about him was his dominant play and what a monster he was going to be once the season started, not a learning curve.

Time will tell, but Curry has a long way to go in order to match what James Laurinaitis is doing, and has been doing right out of the gate.