• 1 Post By sjacksonrules
  • 3 Post By AvengerRam
  • 1 Post By Rambos
  • 2 Post By RamsFanSam

Thread: A Second Look at the Brandon Lloyd Trade

ZiaRam is offline Registered User

A Second Look at the Brandon Lloyd Trade

by Howard Balzer

Pardon me for writing about Brandon Lloyd for the second straight day, but something tells me this deal has a chance to be a defining one for this organization.

One scenario has Lloyd making a major impact on the Rams in the final 11 weeks of the season and then staying joined at the hip with offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels by signing a new contract.

Scenario No. 2 has that same impact occurring, but Lloyd signing elsewhere. If that happens, the Rams would likely receive a compensatory pick in 2013 commensurate with what they gave up to get him. However, Lloyd leaving doesn't appear likely considering how much McDaniels has meant to his career. The Rams made the deal not only hoping he gives a charge to an 0-5 team, but with the thought of having him be a key component beyond 2011.

During an appearance on 101 ESPN in January, when Lloyd was asked how much credit McDaniels should receive for his phenomenal numbers in 2010, he said, "All of it. He provided the right environment for me to thrive in. He gave me confidence and most importantly he gave me opportunity. With this offense, it allowed Kyle (Orton) to be able to throw the ball like he could throw the ball and have the confidence to do it. Josh was the sole provider of that confidence and opportunity for both of us."

Of course, the worst-case scenario is that Lloyd bombs, but that seems unlikely. He is motivated knowing that this will be a chance for a nice payday, as well as truly believing he can be a positive influence on the team's incredibly young receivers.

Before leaving the Broncos, he told the Denver Post, "I think it's a good situation for both sides. (The Broncos) have an opportunity to take a look at their young guys, see what direction they want to go in. And I get to go into a system where they pass the ball more. I think it's a win-win situation for me because I get to go in and try to establish myself in a leadership role. It's a role I'm ready for at my age and my career. I think I'm mature enough to handle a leadership role because that was a role I was developing in Denver.

"That's something I'm most excited about, being able to go to a young team with a lot of talent that's ready to be molded and shown how to be professionals in this league. And I'm willing to embrace that. I'm at the age, time in my career and stage of my life where I'm ready to do that."

This guy sounds like he's going to be fun to have around. Mike Klis of the Post wrote, "When Brandon Lloyd flies to St. Louis this afternoon, he will take with him his magical hands, surreal leaping and body-twisting athleticism, and the biggest laugh ever heard in an NFL locker room."

When it was mentioned that the pick the Rams will give the Broncos increases to a fifth-round choice if he catches 30 passes in the final 11 games, Lloyd broke into his "trademark guffaw," according to Klis, and said, "Hopefully I get that for them in two games."

And Lloyd was honest enough to admit that his contract was one aspect of why the trade occurred. The Broncos offered him a two-year extension before the lockout, but he believed he deserved more.

"I'm not going to completely dismiss that," Lloyd said of the contract issue. "But No. 1 was how I was being used on the field. No. 2 was the contract. I wanted to be appreciated, and the way teams show their appreciation to a player in this business is to pay them accordingly.
    "Obviously it (money) matters. But I want to play where my skill set can reach the best of my abilities."

The potential impact on the team's young receivers, if it occurs, can't be underestimated, especially from a player that has had success in McDaniels' system.

Consider that the Rams' pass-catching corps includes three rookies (Austin Pettis, Greg Salas and tight end Lance Kendricks), two second-year players (Danario Alexander and tight end Mike Hoomanawanui) and one third-year player (Brandon Gibson). All, of course, are in their first season in the system and did not have an offseason to begin learning it.

Also realize that Lloyd didn't have instant success with McDaniels. He was signed by the Broncos on June 15, 2009, too late for OTAs, and was inactive for the first 14 games. He did show a sign of things to come in the final two games of that season, catching eight passes for 117 yards (14.6-yard average) with a long of 44.

Said Broncos cornerback Champ Bailey after the trade, "I've got to be honest with you; he's one of the most talented players I've played with."

Meanwhile, here's a look at the deal from Matt Williamson of Scouts Inc., via Mike Sando's blog at espn.com:
    "It's a great deal for St. Louis," Williamson said. "They didn't give up anything of substance."
    Sando wrote, "I saw the move as a potential indication ownership was not giving up on the season, or the coaching staff, following an 0-5 start."

Added Williamson, "I never got the feeling that coaching staff should be on the hot seat. I think they will be quite strong on offense in the second half of the season.

"If Lance Kendricks grows up, if Greg Salas grows up, Clayton comes back, Lloyd is your No. 1, you mix in Alexander and all of a sudden that is a strength."

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: A Second Look at the Brandon Lloyd Trade

Llyod hasn't even played one down for us yet this trade is seeming more and more like it was a no brainer!

Better Days Are Coming!
    THOLTFAN81 and ZiaRam like this.

Give you guys some looks and thoughts from of our newest Ram:

Last edited by ZiaRam; -10-19-2011 at 05:08 PM.
    viper and THOLTFAN81 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by laram0 View Post
    Llyod hasn't even played one down for us yet this trade is seeming more and more like it was a no brainer!

Better Days Are Coming!
    You are exactly the place I am. The more and more I think and read on this trade the more and more I'm loving it!

Lloyd working the outside, Clayton a Number 2 and sprinkle some DX in there like we usually do and then use Pettis/Salas/Gibson as our slots and 4th WR sets, NOT TO DAMN BAD NOW!!
    Last edited by ZiaRam; -10-19-2011 at 05:10 PM.

13 15 8 47 is offline Registered User

I have always enjoyed B. Lloyd.... on and off the field! I'm STOKED
    ZiaRam likes this.

Canadian Rams Fan is offline Registered User

I am so on the same page as you guys. This is going to be sick....... If Lloyd lives up to the expectations that are being put on him, Clayton comes back and does not miss a beat with his early bound with Bradford.

Throw in DX in there once in a while, and I liked what I saw from Salas last week. Throw in Pettis and Gibson in there once in a while on four wide receiver sets.

Think of the impact this is going to have on the play action passing game, as well as the screen game and the amount of field this is going to leave for Jackson. If I am Jackson right now, I am on cloud nine. No more eight man fronts.

I cant wait to watch the impact. All those nay sayers are about to start eating some crow, including alot of my co-workers and friends. This is the time to start placing some bets and making some money on them. Woohoo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Go Rams 2011
    ZiaRam likes this.

sjacksonrules is offline Registered User

Anyone else like the idea of Lloyd and DX on the outside and I clayton playing slot? Its been great on madden but that doesn't always translate to the field.

Btw Lloyd has a 99 spectacular catch on madden not to mention his 95 catching. It's been nice being able to throw the ball and they catch it...
    ZiaRam likes this.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

There's no question that this deal is all upside and pretty much no risk.

My hope is that Lloyd fits in, stays and is paired with a top rookie WR next season (i.e. Blackmon).
    Nick, Tampa_Ram and ZiaRam like this.

Rambos is offline Registered User

How Lloyd looked today in his first practice...

Lloyd is reunited with offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels, who was the head coach in Denver when Lloyd was starring there, and the terminology is the same. Lloyd said he was surprised at how quickly it all came back to him.

He was hoping to become the difference-maker for an offense that has totaled 49 points in five games, by far the worst in the NFL. With or without Bradford.

"Just as a professional athlete, I think our pride would like to be stroked that way," Lloyd said. "This is a really good team and it doesn't reflect it in the record.

"If it takes that, I'm prepared for it. I'm prepared to be that."

Spagnuolo liked what he saw, too, although he thought it might take a while to get timing down.

"He didn't look like he stepped a beat," Spagnuolo said. "Looked like he'd been here for a month.
    ZiaRam likes this.

RamsFanSam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Monday night, Colleen's son had a friend over - a Dallas fan. As soon as I told him the Rams picked up Lloyd, his jaw dropped. When I told him we got him for a late-round pick next year, his eyes popped.

I can't repeat exactly what he said next, but it was something like this:

"Golly gee, gosh darn, son of a biscuit eater....it looks like the Cowboys are going to lose this week."

Then I reminded him that Laurainitis was our MLB. His next response was something like this:

"Holy mother of pearl, gee-willikers, it seems that Tony Romo better pray a lot before Sunday."

Of course, that was edited for content....

It's sweet to be a Rams fan when things are looking so much brighter!
    Tampa_Ram and Burg_Ram12 like this.

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

#58th best player in the league in 2011, leading the entire league in Rec yards, 11 TD's, and a pro bowler for a 6th or 5th round pick? I'll take it.

mcpeepants232003 is offline Registered User

I really don't understand how we got a guy who nearly 1500 yards last year and was on pace for almost 1200 this year for a 5th or 6th round pick.

I look at this way. Even if we suck the rest of the year we may have solved one of our needs. With Alexander, Salas, Lloyd, Clayton, Pettis and Amendola we probably don't need a wr any more.

RamBamThankYouMam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by mcpeepants232003 View Post
    I look at this way. Even if we suck the rest of the year we may have solved one of our needs. With Alexander, Salas, Lloyd, Clayton, Pettis and Amendola we probably don't need a wr any more.
    Even if Lloyd does very well I say you still draft or sign a WR. There are still alot of question marks on this team with Clayton, Amendola, and Alexander. They are all talented players but they are all injury concerns going forward. If Lloyd has 800 yards receiving the rest of the season, I say you resign Lloyd and draft a top 10 WR or sign Dwayne Bowe. Having Lloyd/Bow (Draftpick) /Clayton/Alexander/Amendola/Gibson would be fantastic.

This organization can not continue to put band-aids on major gashes in the roster. Instead of trying to fill voids with average talent, the Rams should fully address two positions each year. This team needs quality starters at WR/LB/Secondary/OL. Once those 4 positions are addressed the Rams will be going deep into the playoffs.

Rambos is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by mcpeepants232003 View Post
    I really don't understand how we got a guy who nearly 1500 yards last year and was on pace for almost 1200 this year for a 5th or 6th round pick.
    This is why... The Broncos knew they where not going to resign him period as he is a FA. If Lloyd makes 30 catches it's a 5th... looking at the Rams record the Broncos figured that's really like a late 4th round pick.

Burg_Ram12 is offline Registered User

Cool Re: A Second Look at the Brandon Lloyd Trade

I think he'll be wayyyy happer with this #8 throwing to him, than Kyle Orton in this videos!! I love this move. We should name this thread Brandon Lloyd week!!
    Last edited by Burg_Ram12; -10-20-2011 at 08:18 AM.