Thread: Secret Weapon?

RamsFan16 is offline Registered User

Secret Weapon?

Ok. Alot of people have high hopes and think that Tye Hill, Claude Wroten and even Victor Adeyanju could have huge seasons as a rookie.

People also say that Chavous, Witherspoon, Glover could have big seasons and probrably will. Face it we could have some good weapons on D this year.

But I happen to think we are overlooking a Piece to the puzzle that is right in front of our face and that some of us dont' realise we drafted.

We drafted Jon Alston in the 3rd and some thing he will be a monster special teams player, others a good future LB and/or a good future Safety. As I said "Future" in those suggestions but for right now we have Coakley/Pisa at WLB, and one would dare to put him at SLB and try him there but its not happening.

So for right now he could have a big role on D playing our 3-4 OLB, whos job is to Blitz the QB in the 3-4 Defense (common sense). Anyways Alston finished his final two seasons at Stanford with 16 Sacks.

So lets discuss this. For right now would it be good to use Alston as a 3-4 OLB? His stats don't lie he can get to the QB and sack him, but could he do it in the NFL?

Discuss.
    Last edited by RamsFan16; -07-27-2006 at 01:07 AM.

RamsFan16

rams#1 Guest

Re: Secret Weapon?

you know I think It's TIM MCGARIGLE, that guy is somthing else.

Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User

From what I've seen I certainly have to agree with rams#1. McGarigle looks like the biggest value of all our picks.

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

I guess I fall in the good special teamer/promise for the future groups with regards to Alston. "There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics." I was looking over the stats, and I couldn't help noticing a lot of his numbers have come from games against weak teams. For example, 7 of his 16 sacks in the last two years come from 2 games: a 4 sack effort against Arizona State in '04 and a 3 sack performance against Arizona in '05.

Also in 2005, he accumulated 25 tackles, 6 TFL, 5 sacks, and 2 FF in 3 games against lesser opponents (Arizona, Washington, and Navy). He had 5 tackles, 2 TFL, 1 sack, an FF, and an int against Cal, his one big game of the season against a good opponent. In the other 7 games combined, he had 22 tackles, 1.5 TFL, and 1.5 sacks. That is what really makes me think he may struggle against tougher competition, and that's why I figure it will take a while before we see him shine. He'll need to put on some weight to be able to take on the blockers.
    Last edited by Goldenfleece; -07-27-2006 at 07:35 AM.

rams#1 Guest

I hope Tim McGarigle CAn Come in and take the starting spot away from Brandon Chillar, I never really liked brandon chillar, I guess because he went to UCLA. I hate UCLA, BUt anyway Hopefully Mcgarigle can come in and start, he is a takling machine and he is relentless.

RamsFan4ever is offline Registered User

Yea I dont think Chillar can play SLB... But he is amazing on Special Teams with that block punt last year.... McGarigle could be really good in 3-4 too.. McGarigle can tackle.... McGarigle could be a great SLB

I would really like it if Jon Alston did play in the 3-4 D. He has good speed to get to the QB. And that 16 sacks in 2 seasons is pretty good!

coy bacon is offline Registered User

I think counting on any of our rookies to be a secret weapon is ill-advised. A nice fantasy, but I'll take the bet.

I think Marmie sucked. I think Has. has far more capability. I think Has. can get more out of the same players than marmie could. I think our D sucked in part because of bad coaching. I mean, just how is it possible that so many #1 DTs have sucked for so long, (with a nod to Pickett)? Isn't it possible that the coaching sucked? I think so. Bad management can kill a good team of engineers. Good management can get a lot of mileage out of average guys.

Maybe we don't need a secret weapon, maybe we need a good DC.

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by rams#1
    I hope Tim McGarigle CAn Come in and take the starting spot away from Brandon Chillar, I never really liked brandon chillar, I guess because he went to UCLA. I hate UCLA, BUt anyway Hopefully Mcgarigle can come in and start, he is a takling machine and he is relentless.
    Disliking a Ram because of the college he went to? Yikes.

Now that Faulk has been cut, I wouldn't expect McGarigle to be in the picture at SLB unless something amazing happens at camp. We need a back-up MLB and that's Tim right now.

Quote Originally Posted by RamsFan4ever
    Yea I dont think Chillar can play SLB
    Quote Originally Posted by RamsFan4ever
    McGarigle could be a great SLB
    If you're going to make these kind of statements, at least provide some reasoning and insight behind them.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

Varg6 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by coy bacon
    I think counting on any of our rookies to be a secret weapon is ill-advised. A nice fantasy, but I'll take the bet.

I think Marmie sucked. I think Has. has far more capability. I think Has. can get more out of the same players than marmie could. I think our D sucked in part because of bad coaching. I mean, just how is it possible that so many #1 DTs have sucked for so long, (with a nod to Pickett)? Isn't it possible that the coaching sucked? I think so. Bad management can kill a good team of engineers. Good management can get a lot of mileage out of average guys.

Maybe we don't need a secret weapon, maybe we need a good DC.
    Maybe our secret weapon is..HASLETT!!! I agree with you though, I've been preaching that those Defensive players just need a better teacher.

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

This is why im looking forward to training camp. The competition at SLB and in the secondary makes this camp particularly interesting, and its very possible an unknown quantity could come out of the blue and get a job. Dont be surprised to see Alston play at both LB and safety, while Victor Adeyanju could be playing DE and LB