thoey is offline Registered User

Seeing Things in a Different Light

While I used to be a semi-active regular on this board, I have been lurking here for the last six weeks. A combination of frustration at what I believe as a waste of POTENTIAL by management, some concern at injuries of key players led me to have a bleak out look on the future, and also some comments made by other regulars here on this board, made me feel that I should come here to read the stories, get the information, but, maybe it was better if I didn't respond, even if I felt I had something to add.

The regular season record ended up about where I thought we would, and should be, the idea of getting into the playoffs was a dual edged sword. As a RAMS fan, I was very happy to see us have a chance for glory. I was also happy that with all of the adversity that this team has gone through this season that the TEAM stood up and played when they needed to most. But I was also concerned with the idea of the TEAM going in and embarrassing themselves, our history, and us, the fans.

But with input from this site and the others that I go to for sports news, a new feeling started appearing. Hope. I looked at the six teams in the NFC playoffs, the Packers, Vikings, Seahawks, Eagles, Falcons, and our beloved RAMS. There was not one team on that list that I could say did not have a chance to be in the Super Bowl. Including us. The Packers, Vikings, and Seahawks have had a hit or miss season all year. The Eagles have been dominant, but I think the loss of T.O. is going to affect them more than they HOPE. And the Falcons, they are just so hard to read. They have a solid defense, decent RB's, and the key to their success, Michael Vick. But, if Vick should have a bad day or go down, they are easily beatable.

As to the RAMS, we were getting healthy. Players were starting to get the system and gel as a TEAM. They were picking each other up, standing up for each other, standing with each other. The defensive line started pushing and penetrating. The linebackers and backs started popping a little harder and going after the ball. The offensive line started protecting. The young wide receivers started living up to their POTENTIAL, joining Torry and the Reverend Bruce. The two headed monster of Marshall and Jackson were pounding and sprinting.

And Marc Bulgar, yes, one I have been critical of, has started showing me that he has just started to play. He is making quicker reads all across the field. He is throwing both the short and the long ball. He is LEADING this team, something I didn't think he would never be able to do due to his quiet and introverted personality.

Finally, Mad Mike, our beloved Rain Man, has done what he does best. He put me on the edge of my seat, yelling at the TV, wondering what bullheaded or most amazing play he was going to run next. But, he some how also rallied this TEAM. Whether it was by what he said to them or to the media, they have circled the wagons, and come together as a TEAM.

Hope. It's built up even more with the win over Seattle. I can see us beating Atlanta. It won't be easy, but we CAN do it. I would prefer the Vikings beat the Eagles and come to OUR house, but I think we CAN go to Philly and beat the Eagles there too. And then it's the Super Bowl. The Holy Land of the NFL. And while just getting there is not enough, there have been recent TEAMS that have gone into the big game as the under dog, the TEAM with no chance to win. As an example, The 2001 Patriots. They had HOPE. And now I have that same HOPE too.

LET'S GO RAMS!!!

This space for rent...

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Re: Seeing Things in a Different Light

And what happened then...?
    Well...in Rams-ville they say
    That the Thoey's small hope
    Grew three sizes that day!
    And the minute his heart didn't feel quite so tight,
    He longed for the kickoff, under bright Georgia lights
    And he brought back the joy! And wasn't scared in the least!
    And dreamed... dreamed himself

Of a Super Bowl feast!

thoey is offline Registered User

<shakes head and smiles> Nothing has changed...
    This space for rent...

AugustaRamFan is offline Registered User

Thoey - Glad you are back....
    ARF

adarian_too is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by thoey
    <shakes head and smiles> Nothing has changed...
    In more ways than one. With a loss this weekend, the Rams end up at .500 and one will look back and say "you knew this was coming". Up one week, down the next. Up a couple of weeks, down a couple of weeks. It truly has been a Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde year thus far. Why shouldn't they wind up dashing expectations as swiftly as they have raised them.

But in there indeed lies hope. "On any given Sunday ... blah, blah, blah." Missouri apparently is the "Show Me State." Well, I'm looking forward to what the Rams are ready to show me this weekend. I really can't see any reason why the Rams can't make this a Road Show for the Ages.

We gonna' be stoking the fire and primen' the pumps. We're working on intercepting stadium broadcasts to play Waylon's "On the Road Again." We've decided to have that as our theme song for the playoffs this year. And as Lynryd Synryd suggested on "Sweet Home Alabama" we going to turn the volume up, WAY UP. 'Cuz we have hope too.

RammieGirl is offline Registered User

Hey, if we are gonna talk theme songs, I will throw one out that I have mentioned before.......Journey's "DON'T STOP BELIEVING" and we really need to hold on to that feeling........Bring on this weekend, we're gonna do it, I'm totally stoked about it!!!!! GOOOOOOOOOO RAMMMMMMMMMSSSSSSSS!!!!

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Hmmm... this sounds like a poll!

viper is offline Registered User

Nice post, Thoey. We definitely have hope. I think we're gonna take it to'em this weekend! :ramlogo:

Go Rams!!!

UtterBlitz is offline Registered User

Terry
    Good to see you back clicky clacking on the keyboard. I can't believe you turned into a lurking sort. :redface:

It is time to have hope and to believe. The Rams have come together at the right time. Now it's time to test them.

:angryram:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

RealRam is offline Registered User

That, my friend, is a good light! Good to see you, Thoey.

Hope is humming deep and wide. G-O-O-O-O-O-O R-A-M-S!