Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sell The Team?

AlphaRam is offline Registered User

Sell The Team?

I have heard comments on Sirius NFL radio over time and seen messages posted here wanting Georgia to sell the team. Carroll Rosenbloom asked in his will that Georgia not sell the team. Had that not been the case, she very well might have sold the Rams by this time.

Something to remember, football owners are businessmen. In fact, the Rams are actually "The St Louis Rams Football Company" (see below). Regardless of who owns the Rams now, or in the future, the bottom line is the all-mighty dollar.

Here's something to consider: How much have the Rams raised ticket prices over the last ten years? Here's a little nugget for you. Last year, I went to Dallas and the face value for a ticket was $92 in the lowers. This year when I went, the price was $129...a $37 increase. Who knows what Jerry Jones will charge for seats at the new stadium? When I went to see the Rams this year in St. Louis, the ticket price was $74 for an almost comparable seat.

Be careful what you wish for...

St. Louis Rams Football Company Contact Information
    St. Louis Rams Football Company
    1 Rams Way
    St. Louis, MO 63045
    MO Tel. 314-982-7267
    Fax 314-770-9261

Type: Private
    On the web: http://www.stlouisrams.com
    Employees: 244

This company really butts heads against the competition. The St. Louis Rams Football Company operates the Gateway City's pro football team, which boasts three National Football League championships, its last coming in 2000. The franchise started in Cleveland in 1936 and moved to Los Angeles in 1946. After owner Carroll Rosenbloom died in 1979, his widow, now Georgia Frontiere, became the only female owner in the four major sports leagues. She moved the team to St. Louis in 1995 and sold 40% of the franchise to Wal-Mart heir Stan Kroenke (who also owns the Colorado Avalanche and Denver Nuggets). The team regularly draws capacity crowds at the Edward Jones Dome.

Key numbers for fiscal year ending December, 2007:
    Sales: $23.4M

Officers:
    Chairman and Owner: Georgia Frontiere
    President: John Shaw
    VP Finance: Adrian Barr-Bracy

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Keenum is offline Registered User

Re: Sell The Team?

I'm sure it would have both good and bad effects for the team. Hopefully whatever would benefit us the most will happen, be it selling the team or if now is not the time.

Epi_rush is offline Registered User

I don't see her selling - ever. I just wish she gave half a crap about the team.

Here is an interesting article on the subject dated from January 2003:

While there's lots of talk about who's going to quarterback the Rams next season, there's also speculation on who will succeed Georgia Frontiere as majority owner of the team.

Rams President John Shaw said the 75-year-old Frontiere has no plans to sell her 60 percent stake in the team — worth an estimated $326 million.

But Frontiere's age is fueling speculation that a change may be in the works. Stan Kroenke holds a 40 percent stake in the team and has first right of refusal should Frontiere decide to sell, but one family member said the original plan was to keep ownership in the family.

Frontiere's stepson, Steve Rosenbloom, said his late father, Carroll Rosenbloom, who owned the Rams and left the team to Frontiere, would not want her to sell.

"In my father's mind, he thought the Rams had the opportunity to stay in the family for several generations," said Steve, 58, who was reached at his home in Covington, La. "His idea was that I'd take ownership, then pass it down to Chip, (his stepbrother) who would then pass it down to my son, and so forth."

Instead, Frontiere inherited the team after Carroll Rosenbloom's death in 1979 and has been majority owner ever since. "Since there is direct lineage, I think the team should go to one of her children," Steve said. "If Chip were interested in it, that would be great. That may be as close as I get to the team, but I think it's important the owner of the team has the last name Rosenbloom."

Frontiere, who has been married seven times, has only two children — both of whom were fathered by Carroll Rosenbloom.

Dale "Chip" Rosenbloom, Frontiere's 38-year-old son, works as a screenwriter and director in Los Angeles. He declined to comment on any plans his mother has for the future ownership of the team. As for the role he or his sister, 41-year-old Lucia Rodriguez (also a resident of Los Angeles), might play in the future ownership of the team, Chip declined to speculate.

"I have a fan's interest in the team, and that's all for now," he said. Yet, Chip has attended a few of the league owners' meetings on behalf of his mother.

Chip said while Frontiere no longer has the last name Rosenbloom (she takes her name from her seventh husband, Dominic Frontiere, whom she divorced in 1988) the team is still technically in the Rosenbloom family.

"My mother is a Rosenbloom," Chip said. "People don't realize that my parents were together for 22 years, and my mother was the love of my father's life. He wanted her to have the team, and she's done a tremendous job as an owner."

Chip said he believes Frontiere and Kroenke have a great relationship as owners and there are no plans to change the dynamic of the ownership.

Kroenke paid $60 million for a 30 percent stake in the team in 1995, the year Frontiere moved the team from Los Angeles to St. Louis, and another $20 million in 1998 to increase his stake in the team to 40 percent.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

rams 24/7 is offline Registered User

It still bothers me that my favorite team is owned by a women

RamsFanSam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by rams 24/7 View Post
    Why should the gender of the owner make a difference? Do you think having a woman owner means that the locker room has lace doilies on the pink benches? Or that the weight room is set up for Aerobicize instead of having free wieghts?

The gender should not make a difference. The competence of the owner is what should matter - and there are a heck of a lot of incompetent men in positions of power.

Epi_rush is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by rams 24/7 View Post

I hope you're joking.

The gender should not make a difference. The competence of the owner is what should matter - and there are a heck of a lot of incompetent men in positions of power.
    True, there is a moderator from Springfield, Mo that....oh, uh, wait, never mind.....:O

To me, gender does not matter regarding the ownership of the team. Race does not matter, either.

Religion might - because if the Rams had an Amish influence, we couldn't play in a Dome anymore and there would be no Jumbotron. They also probably wouldn't be on TV. Those long beards wouldn't fit in the chinstrap very well and other teams would wonder if they are playing ZZ Top. What about the play calls? QB Jebidiah calls "Lion's Den 3, Locust Plague right, Ezekial shift".
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

theodus69 is offline Registered User

I heard S. Kroenke already had the majority in a deal done last year. Guess I was wrong!
    I stopped going to the dentist.......I got tired of the cavity searches!

Dr5150 is offline Registered User

As soon as her husband died in '79 and she took over, she started getting involved with the team play. Pretty boy QB's, lack of leadership, declining front lines, ect...
    Not because she's is a female because she wont let the office staff do thier jobs. Let the coaches coach and players play. Sure there were a few good years but thats not good enough for over paid players, management and TRUE fans. Maybe it's time that she lets someone else do the job.:x

moloch41 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Epi_rush View Post
    I hope you're joking.

Quiet, woman- let the men speak!!!

RamsFanSam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Wait! I figured out why we shouldn't have a woman owner!

Signs a woman owns your favorite team:

1. There is panty hose hanging from the showers.
    2. The jock straps smell like fabric softener.
    3. The new uniforms are 'chartruse' and 'melon' in color.
    4. The victory celebration dinners are no longer steak and potatoes. Instead, they serve cucumber sandwiches with cream cheese dressing.
    5. The challenge flag is crocheted.
    6. The team must wear jackets and gloves on the field anytime the temperature drops below 50 degrees.
    7. The toilet seats must be put down after use.
    8. Cussing is no longer allowed.
    9. Daytime practices would be postponed until the soap operas are over.
    10. Touchdown celebrations would not be allowed as it would damage the petunias planted in the endzone.
    True, there is a moderator from Springfield, Mo that....oh, uh, wait, never mind.....
    Uh, Jack...didn't your little woman tell you to finish washing the dishes before you did anything else?
    Last edited by RamsFanSam; -11-04-2007 at 01:30 PM.

RAMFANRAIDERHATER is offline Registered User

I'm not going to bag on Georgia because she's a woman. Hell, I love women... I don't care that a women runs my team, (I just don't want a certain woman to run the country) I just wish it were a woman that could run the business properly.

Here's an interesting stat about the Rams and Georgia.

The Los Angeles Rams, before Georgia knocked off her husband and took control of the team, had a combined 236-163-18 record from 1946 to 1978. That's a .591 winning percentage. YES, THE RAMS WERE A WINNING FRANCHISE AT ONE TIME!

Then came Georgia.

Since 1979, when Georgia started to put her people in place, until this dismal season, the Rams have gone 218-228, for a .489 winning percentage.

It is a FACT that Georgia has turned a once proud winning franchise into a loser.
    Faithful Rams fan since 1968

rams 24/7 is offline Registered User

I read that The rams were often times find with pink towels and pink locker rooms that the opposing team set up for them on the road because of our female owner

MoonJoe is offline Ram MVP

If Georgia was anything of a good football person, she would have let Steve run the team after Carrol's death. Then maybe he could have seriously negotiated a good stadium here in LA and the fine town of St. Louis would have had there own team given to them in expansion....And if "ifs and butts were candy and nuts, we'd all have a merry frickin Christmas!"

Joe

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast