Like Tree28Likes

Thread: Semi-Rams Related: Mark Sanchez doesn't want to be traded to Rams

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Semi-Rams Related: Mark Sanchez doesn't want to be traded to Rams

Mark Sanchez doesn't want to be traded to Rams
    Tom Pelissero
    USA TODAY Sports
    7:23 p.m. EDT August 24, 2014

It's only natural for Mark Sanchez's name to come up in connection with the St. Louis Rams in the wake of starting quarterback Sam Bradford's season-ending knee injury, given Sanchez's experience in coordinator Brian Schottenheimer's offense.

But if Sanchez has anything to say about it, there's "no chance" he'd abandon his fresh start as a backup under coach Chip Kelly with the Philadelphia Eagles for a shot to rejoin Schottenheimer and play in St. Louis, a person with knowledge of Sanchez's thinking told USA TODAY Sports on Sunday.

The person spoke on condition of anonymity because any trade talks were to remain private.

At age 27, Sanchez has time to reboot his once-promising career. There's no reason to rush into a situation like the one in St. Louis, where he'd be trying to get in rhythm with new teammates at the same time the Rams are preparing for a season opener that's just two weeks away.

Sanchez played some of his best football under Schottenheimer. But Sanchez's regression during the 2011 season, in which the Jets finished 29th in total offense, was a big reason the team and Schottenheimer parted ways. And though Sanchez couldn't block a trade, dealing assets for a short-term fix who doesn't want to be there doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

Plus, the Eagles know the value of a backup quarterback – current starter Nick Foles began as one behind Michael Vick last season – and wouldn't give up Sanchez for cheap, given his strong play in the preseason. His modest $2.25 million price tag on a one-year contract is a relative bargain as an insurance policy even if Foles stays healthy.

It's not out of the question Sanchez plays this season in Philadelphia, one way or another. In three exhibition games, he is 25-of-31 passing (80.6%) for 281 yards with two touchdowns, an interception and a 112.5 passer rating. Foles still has two years left on his rookie contract, giving Kelly time to sort out his long-term plan.

Rams coach Jeff Fisher told reporters there have been no trade talks yet and the plan is to roll with the guys who know the system: Shaun Hill, the 34-year-old career backup who replaces Bradford atop the depth chart, and third-year pro Austin Davis. The Rams also have rookie sixth-round pick Garrett Gilbert on the roster.

Sanchez knows Schottenheimer's system, too. But even if the Rams were interested, it seems highly unlikely a reunion is in the cards.​

ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

RamFan_Til_I_Die is offline Registered User

Re: Semi-Rams Related: Mark Sanchez doesn't want to be traded to Rams

Not like the Rams would want him anyway. Sanchez isn't even a has-been. He's a never-was.
    Toicat likes this.

general counsel is offline Registered User

He may be a never was, but he took his team to the afc championship game in consecutive seasons i believe. I am not in favor of trading for the guy, just saying...

ramming speed to all

general counsel
    laram0 likes this.

RamFan_Til_I_Die is offline Registered User

Being part of a team that went to the AFC championships, and taking a team to the AFC championships, are two very different things. That's like saying Trent Dilfer took the Ravens to the Superbowl. Nope.
    ramsbruce likes this.

I agree with that completely RamsFan, but my point was that he showed good promise as a young qb before his offensive line and receivers collapsed around him. Dilfer was a veteran game manager. I am still on your side on this one, i think we can do better, but sanchez was more than just a dilfer game manager for his brief time in the sun.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

Rambos is online now Registered User

That's funny.....

ramsbruce is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by general counsel View Post
    He may be a never was, but he took his team to the afc championship game in consecutive seasons i believe. I am not in favor of trading for the guy, just saying...

ramming speed to all

general counsel
    I wouldn't say Sanchez took his team to the AFC title games. His defense, O-Line, and running game took them there. Sanchez was just along for the ride.
    RamFan_Til_I_Die likes this.
    BRUUUUUUUUCE

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

I desperately hope Sanchez gets his wish.

Playoff numbers for sanchez in the two playoff runs for the jets. 9 tds, 3 ints, 94.3 qb rating. Not chopped liver. Averaged a bit under 200 yards per game passing, so i get people's point, and i am going to drop the discussion (too depressed, which clearly shows if i am defending mark sanchez!!!!)

ramming speed to all

general counsel

ramsbruce is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by general counsel View Post
    Playoff numbers for sanchez in the two playoff runs for the jets. 9 tds, 3 ints, 94.3 qb rating. Not chopped liver. Averaged a bit under 200 yards per game passing, so i get people's point, and i am going to drop the discussion (too depressed, which clearly shows if i am defending mark sanchez!!!!)

ramming speed to all

general counsel

Sanchez had everything going for him on those Jets teams. The other facets (run game/def/o-line) of those Jets teams helped Sanchez overachieve.
    RamFan_Til_I_Die likes this.
    BRUUUUUUUUCE

RAMFANRAIDERHATER is offline Registered User

The thought of Mark Sanchez taking snaps in a Rams uniform make me want to vomit.

Just sayin'
    Faithful Rams fan since 1968

Azul e Oro is online now Registered User

Pass on the Buttfumbler even if he wanted to come. And why would Schotty want him; like the man said, Sanchez cost him his job. I hope the Rams do keep 3 QBs ( bad feeling they won't) but they can do better than that.

Randart is offline Registered User

I rather like the butt-fumble hapless Sanchise! LOL
    But glad he is not a ram but he is doing well with the eaglettes Let him stay there...
    I want to see what our 3 guys we have in house can do now Slingin' Sammy is done in again!
    That hit was pretty funky to have his knee go out again on, just WOW!
    Love to see us save Hill for the season and let the youngsters play it out in the 4th preseason game! Besides Gilbert needs the work so badly! Man oh Man our passing on some of the QB's in this last draft is really shinning bright in the rear view mirrors now! It still comes down to our Oh-Line if they can block people and protect our QB's whoever is in and give the RB's some space then we have a chance... Otherwise this is going to be a long season, already looking at a bright side to the cloud of silver linning! I really do enjoy watching Hundley of UCLA would be nice to reload with a young player of his abilities and potential... I think this could seal the deal on Sammy's career with the Rams! Very interesting days ahead to see how this organization and team responds to more adversity... Good Luck Sam either ways many of us had real faithe in your abilities, your failure to stay healthy and on the field killed your chances to be great in Saint Lou... Kinda sad for Sammy Boy!

RealRam is offline Registered User

Glad to read Sanchez [ Sánchez = SAHN-chz (SAHN-tchz) ] isn't interested in wearing the Rams uniform. I don't think he'd look good in it.

Call...

Hill, Davis, Gilbert
    & Associates
    Randart likes this.

Randart is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RealRam View Post
    Glad to read Sanchez [ Sánchez = SAHN-chz (SAHN-tchz) ] isn't interested in wearing the Rams uniform. I don't think he'd look good in it.

Call...

Hill, Davis, Gilbert
    & Associates
    His draft year he was going to be the savior as in Sab wah faire to some franchise in the NFL that drafted him so he got the cool nic name of San-Chise as in Sanchez, Franchise savior. Thus my reference to his old nic name which I always loved. No insult intended but up to you to see things as you like... I just like to have fun with words and guys and stuff. Your clarification was not really needed. H,D,G & Associates not withstanding, he will always be Sanchise to me mate! Have to come up with a cool nic name for Hundley especially if we draft the guy... hmmm
    RealRam likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast