Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

The Sensible Fan's Guide To Training Camp and Preseason

With the amount of coverage, both professional and amateur, coupled with the instant access to information provided by the internet, fans today can follow their teams day-by-day, minute-by-minute, through training camp and preseason.

Let me assure you of one thing:

We'd be better off not knowing most of what will be reported in the coming weeks.

I can assure you that each of the following things will occur during training camp and preseason:

1. One or more players will be reported as having injuries which will sound significant but, in fact, are meaningless bumbs and bruises that would never keep a player out of a regular season game.

2. One or more players will become "camp stars" - the kind of players that are praised for their effort and production in scrimages. Many, if not most, of these players will be cut, sent to the practice squad, or sit on the sidelines all year.

3. You will learn precious little about how the veterans will perform during the regular season by watching training camp and preseason games. To the extent that they even play, they will be tuning up, getting in shape, trying new plays and schemes, and lining up with or against a lot of guys who won't even be in the league in September.

4. There will be contract disputes and issues that will seem troublesome, but will nonetheless be worked out before the season starts.

5. There will not be any blockbuster trades or free agent signings from here on out. At best, there may be a veteran or two will be acquired to fill in depth roles, but that's about it.

6. Winning preseason games does not indicate that a winning season is imminent; losing them is not an indicator of doom.

7. There will be fans who attend training camp that will have vastly different viewpoints. Two fans watching the same practice on the same day may label a single player a future Pro Bowl candidate and a bust, respectively. Both will insist that they saw something that verifies their opinion.

8. Likewise, "reporters" will have differing views on the progress of players.

9. Most of the above is not worth arguing over.

10. People will argue anyway.

So, enjoy training camp and preseason. It is admittedly great to have football back on any level. But take with a grain (if not a whole shaker) of salt each "insider" tidbit that you read on the internet.

Come September, we'll see what kind of team the Rams really are for 2004.

txramsfan is offline Registered User

Re: The Sensible Fan's Guide To Training Camp and Preseason

Oh, don't forget the occassional camp fight that will happen. When it does, I bet you a dollar to a doughnut someone on this board will jump down Martz throat, call him an idiot, say he has lost control of the team, and want him fired. Even though the circumstances were the temp was 195,000 F, the drills become boring, they are doing some hitting, and someone gets testy.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by txramsfan
    Oh, don't forget the occassional camp fight that will happen. When it does, I bet you a dollar to a doughnut someone on this board will jump down Martz throat, call him an idiot, say he has lost control of the team, and want him fired. Even though the circumstances were the temp was 195,000 F, the drills become boring, they are doing some hitting, and someone gets testy.
    Are you kidding me? If they're not fighting, they're not trying. We need a little more fire out of these guys. We've got guys like Arch, Pisa, Turley, now Shivers who are supposed to be nasty hitters. Well now's the time to show it. Get mean, that's what I say. Fighting is just a by-product of being mean. Being mean wins games.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Yodude is offline Registered User

We've got guys like Arch, Pisa, Turley, now Shivers who are supposed to be nasty hitters.
    About the only thing nasty about Turley last year was how he ran his mouth. Hopefully this year things will be different....and we'll see the Turley I was hoping to see when he was first traded to the Rams.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Yodude
    About the only thing nasty about Turley last year was how he ran his mouth. Hopefully this year things will be different....and we'll see the Turley I was hoping to see when he was first traded to the Rams.
    Which is why I said "supposed to be nasty". They've got to prove it this year.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

radjohns is offline Registered User

THere will also be people that jump on those who express concerns about obvious weak spots that present themselves during training camp and preseason games. Many times, these training camp/preseason game weak spots end up regular season weak spots.

Quote Originally Posted by radjohns
    THere will also be people that jump on those who express concerns about obvious weak spots that present themselves during training camp and preseason games. Many times, these training camp/preseason game weak spots end up regular season weak spots.
    True. And you only need two things to effectively predict whether a preseason issue will become a regular season problem:

1. A coin; and
    2. Gravity.

maineram Guest

AV, of all people, you are posting a topic on, " the sensible fans guide to training camp, etc". No poll ?? Did you settle down and loose your senses from the last year or so ??
    Just joshin ya AV, just seems a little weird hearin a topic like this from you. Has this moderator stuff got the best of you ??
    I do agree that the crap you'll hear for the next month or so, providing no major injuries occur, is anyone trying to look into their crystal ball and giving us all the nugget that we're all dying to hear.

Sensible Fan... bwaaa..haaahaa. Is that a new catagory in the reputation section that your workin on. Positive, negative, SENSIBLE !!

Love hearin your opinions.

Maineram :tongue:

Hey, I aim to please. :redface:

general counsel Guest

I believe that with the exception of the need to avoid serious injuries, pre season is 99% noise.

sign the big man

ramming speed to all

general counsel

radjohns is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam
    True. And you only need two things to effectively predict whether a preseason issue will become a regular season problem:

1. A coin; and
    2. Gravity.

I couldn't disagree more, but I know that this discussion will go nowhere, so I won't bother.

rams70 Guest

I wonder how long it will take Bernie or someone else among the St Louis media to trot out their annual rumor about the Rams moving training camp somewhere else...Translated, what they are saying is we in the media wish they would cause we dont like it here among the cornfields..Too much corn, not enough 'watering holes' for them.. :tongue:

OrlandoPaceIsMyHero Guest

We can be sure of one more thing:

My boy Orlando will dominate, regardless of whether he comes to camp or not.

Best O-Lineman Ever

OPIMH

Let's see how my predictions are going...

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam

I can assure you that each of the following things will occur during training camp and preseason:

1. One or more players will be reported as having injuries which will sound significant but, in fact, are meaningless bumbs and bruises that would never keep a player out of a regular season game.
    Turley's injury may very well be one of these. It sounds bad now, but by September 12, he may be fine.

2. One or more players will become "camp stars" - the kind of players that are praised for their effort and production in scrimages. Many, if not most, of these players will be cut, sent to the practice squad, or sit on the sidelines all year.
    Hasn't one of Howard Balzer's "sleepers" already been cut?

3. You will learn precious little about how the veterans will perform during the regular season by watching training camp and preseason games. To the extent that they even play, they will be tuning up, getting in shape, trying new plays and schemes, and lining up with or against a lot of guys who won't even be in the league in September.
    In other words, just because someone is reported as having returned an interception for a TD in practice does not mean he will be a star.

4. There will be contract disputes and issues that will seem troublesome, but will nonetheless be worked out before the season starts.
    Thankfully, none of the rookies are holding out. Pace's contract will continue to be an issue, but I guarantee he'll sign (either the tender or a long term K) before the last preseason game.

5. There will not be any blockbuster trades or free agent signings from here on out. At best, there may be a veteran or two will be acquired to fill in depth roles, but that's about it.
    In other words, the Rams won't be trading Gordon and a draft choice for Adawale Ogunleye.

6. Winning preseason games does not indicate that a winning season is imminent; losing them is not an indicator of doom.
    Still true.

7. There will be fans who attend training camp that will have vastly different viewpoints. Two fans watching the same practice on the same day may label a single player a future Pro Bowl candidate and a bust, respectively. Both will insist that they saw something that verifies their opinion.
    Some people think Eminem is a musician, too. Doesn't make it true.

8. Likewise, "reporters" will have differing views on the progress of players.
    Ahem... John... ahem... Hadley...

9. Most of the above is not worth arguing over.

10. People will argue anyway.
    So far, hasn't been too bad.
    Last edited by AvengerRam; -08-03-2004 at 12:37 PM.

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

You're the man, Avenger. Can you predict how the weather's going to be for the rest of my vacation in Florida? I'd like to plan ahead.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast