RamWraith is offline Registered User

Setterstrom Clears Waivers / Jackson's Deal Confirmed

By Howard Balzer
    Friday, August 22, 2008

The Rams' relatively minor risk of placing guard Mark Setterstrom on injured waivers Thursday paid off when no NFL teams put in a claim.

Setterstrom cleared waivers today, so he reverts to the Rams' injured reserve list. He will miss the entire season because of a fractured kneecap.

Jackson's Deal Confirmed
    The numbers are in on the six-year contract running back Steven Jackson signed Thursday following his 27-day holdout.

The total value of the deal is $44.805 million and includes $20.5 million guaranteed, $11.395 million of which is a signing bonus. His base salaries are $605,000 guaranteed this year, $5.5 million guaranteed in 2009, $6.105 million with $3 million of that guaranteed in 2010, $7.2 million in 2011 and $7 million in both 2012 and 2013.

The Rams or Jackson can void the final two years of the contract if Jackson averages 1,200 yards rushing and 400 yards receiving over the next four seasons (2008 through 2011). Playing in just 12 games last season, Jackson rushed for 1,002 yards and totaled 271 yards receiving.

If the final two years are voided, the total value of the four-year contract is $30.805 million. The Rams also would have the option of placing the franchise tag on Jackson in 2012 if the final two years are voided, but that would be pricey. His salary-cap figure will be right at $9.1 million in 2011, so the franchise tag would be at least $10.92 million in 2012. Jackson will be 29 years old in July, 2012.

Thursday, Baltimore Ravens defensive coordinator Rex Ryan said of Jackson, “He is one of the top players in the league. I’m very happy he won’t be playing against us Saturday. He is one of those rare players who can take over a game by himself, as a receiver, as a running back. He can do it all.”

ARE WE ALLOWED TO WORRY NOW?

For three days this week, Rams left tackle Orlando Pace watched his teammates practice, while coach Scott Linehan was steadfast in telling the media there was no cause for concern. Pace was supposedly just sore after participating in 39 plays last Saturday night against San Diego.

"Sore" is believable when a player misses one day of practice after a game, maybe two. But not three. After Pace was absent Wednesday for the third time this week, Linehan said, "He didn't reinjure his shoulder or anything like that. It just was really sore, so we've been real conservative with it this week. It's got all the strength it needs to have. If we were playing a (regular-season) game this weekend, he'd play."

Pace did practice Thursday, but it turns out Linehan wasn't being truthful. Pace admitted, in fact, there was a new injury.

Following a first-quarter interception by San Diego cornerback Antoine Cason, while trying to make a tackle, Pace fell on the shoulder that was operated on last season. He played the rest of the first half, not realizing he was hurt. It wasn't until Monday that Pace noticed swelling in the shoulder. He said, "I couldn't raise my arm too high. That was a little concern for me."

Ya think? Even though he maintains there was no more damage done to the labrum or rotator cuff that was torn last season ("That's one positive that came out of landing on it like that. At least you know the structure of the shoulder is back."), there has to be concern if simply falling down on the shoulder will continue to create problems.

To compete at a high level, Pace (or any athlete) has to be able to go out and play, without thinking about the possibility of being injured. With the season opener 16 days away, this is not a good time for doubts to creep in. But, it's only natural for that to be the case. After Thursday's work, Pace is to be examined today to see if there is further swelling.

"This kind of was a little setback to me, because I was getting into a pretty good groove," Pace admitted. "It's a little frustrating. We'll see how it plays out. I'm just trying to be a key piece to this offense to help us win some games. Hopefully, I can get back and be healthy and play at a high level."

ANOTHER STUPID RULE

Many things in the NFL don't make sense, and here is another one. When players report late to training camp, teams routinely receive a two-game roster exemption so the player doesn't count against the roster.

When the Rams reinstated Jackson Thursday, they were granted a
    two-game exemption that expires Aug. 29. The exemption can be lifted any time before that date. However, the exemption doesn't take effect until Tuesday's cutdown to 75 players. In reality, that makes it a one-game exemption because Jackson counts against the current 80-man limit, which is in effect for Saturday's game against Baltimore.

That rule forced the Rams to eliminate someone from the roster Thursday, and the decision was to waive injured guard Mark Setterstrom. He will end up on the injured reserve list if he clears waivers today, but he could be claimed by another team. The Rams were willing to take that risk, believing it would be a longshot for another team to claim a player that has suffered two straight season-ending knee injuries. If they do lose him, the team obviously isn't overly concerned about being able to replace him.

As for Jackson, unless the Rams decide to play him next Thursday against Kansas City, the Rams will have to reduce their roster by only four players instead of five in the first cutdown.

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Re: Setterstrom Clears Waivers / Jackson's Deal Confirmed

Even though he maintains there was no more damage done to the labrum or rotator cuff that was torn last season ("That's one positive that came out of landing on it like that. At least you know the structure of the shoulder is back."), there has to be concern if simply falling down on the shoulder will continue to create problems.
    I'm certainly concerned and wonder if Pace will ever be completely healthy. Last year he got injured just blocking and now just falling down causes trouble? This can't be good for Pace's psyche or Bulger's for that matter.

Mooselini is offline Registered User

Re: Setterstrom Clears Waivers / Jackson's Deal Confirmed

Uggh...Pace again. This is definately getting old for me. I say we draft his replacement this year.