Richbert88 is offline Registered User

Setterstrom looking set at Guard.

"Claude Terrell has mounted little challenge to Mark Setterstrom at left guard. Barring injury, that job is Setterstrom’s." - Bill Coates, StL Dispatch

and additonally, the OL is just plain getting worked as witnessed by the Rev from another board:

"Even when the special teams units are working, and the quarterbacks stand around, those offensive linemen not being used go back to their corner of the field and work on technique or other items. Never a dull moment for them."

This gets me going almost as much as the AC stuff.

Semper Fi!

Keenum is offline Registered User

Re: Setterstrom looking set at Guard.

Good. We did the same thing at our High School last year. During special teams period (10 minutes or so of guys just punting, kicking, making some catches), we (O-lineman here) would always be in our corner getting our technique down. We rarely got a break the whole practice, but that's good. The line (both O and D) need to be worked hard, because teams live and die on their lines.

BIG-BLUE is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Keenum View Post
    Good. We did the same thing at our High School last year. During special teams period (10 minutes or so of guys just punting, kicking, making some catches), we (O-lineman here) would always be in our corner getting our technique down. We rarely got a break the whole practice, but that's good. The line (both O and D) need to be worked hard, because teams live and die on their lines.
    Very well said Keenum. As its been said the war starts in the trenches

RamWraith is offline Registered User

I am guessing Terrell will be given his walking papers sooner than later. After last seasons childish behavior and mounting little challenge for a spot on this team Linehan is going to look at cutting his loses. I am guessing that is why Brown was brought in.

TekeRam is offline Registered User

If Terrell isn't doing anything now, even with the obvious keeper of a vet being added, then I have to agree with you that he'll be released at some point. He's never proved that he has "it" and he's not doing anything now. I say only keep him if he's better than any other alternative.

RamWraith is offline Registered User

Setterstrom Solidifying Starting Spot
    Tuesday, July 31, 2007

By Nick Wagoner
    Senior Writer

One year ago, Mark Setterstrom entered his first NFL camp simply hoping to make enough of an impression to land on a roster, any roster.

Setterstrom put in his usual hard work in camp, doing his best to land a roster spot. At times, he ran with the first team offense, but by the time camp ended, he had earned his spot.

By the time the season ended, Setterstrom was the starting left guard and making a difference on the front line. In fact, Setterstrom graded out as the team’s top lineman in a couple of late season games.

Fast forward to this training camp and Setterstrom is in a whole new world. Now, Setterstrom is in St. Louis for his second year with a tight stranglehold on his position.

“I think (he’s done) very well,” coach Scott Linehan said. “The reason I say that is he doesn’t say a whole lot, he just goes out and plays. He finished so strong last year. He has a great knack to play this game. He has always started and been on the field. I’d be real surprised if he took any steps back.”

If anything, Setterstrom has only taken steps forward and increased his value. Coming out of Minnesota, Setterstrom had a reputation as a fierce and technical run blocker, paving the way for one of the nation’s most potent running games.

In part because of questions about his ability as a pass blocker and partially because of health issues, Setterstrom tumbled to the seventh round of the draft where the Rams happily scooped him up.

Setterstrom ended up starting the final six games of the season and made his presence felt by paving the way for running back Steven Jackson. Still, Setterstrom set his sights on getting stronger and becoming a better pass blocker.

“It’s a continual battle,” Setterstrom said. “You can always get better. I got stronger this offseason and picked up a few tips from those older guys on my pass protection. Just playing the game, you learn the speed; you learn what guys are trying to do against you. You learn the little things.”

Setterstrom has picked up on the little things as fast as any of the young linemen and has taken on the challenges of all comers with little or no fear. With the likes of Claude Terrell, Milford Brown and Adam Goldberg around, there is plenty of competition for jobs on the interior of the line.

But Setterstrom has been nearly flawless technically in camp and has proved that he has an excellent chance to be a solid guard in the league for a long time. Still, Setterstrom is taking nothing for granted.

“You never know,” Setterstrom said. “My attitude is not that I am here for sure. This is a business; you have to prove yourself every day. It’s what have you done for me now? I am welcome to that challenge. It is a little bit of pressure off having some experience and just being a little more confident in my ability and trusting in myself that I can do it.”

RECEIVING PRAISE: Normally, this early in training camp, most coaches are hesitant to give praise to any one player. While Linehan hasn’t been too shy about acknowledging the performances of certain players, he singled out an entire unit when asked who was standing out early in camp.

“Right now I think of the group coached under Henry (Ellard), with a pretty good group of veterans working very hard,” Linehan said in reference to the receivers. “I think the thing I noticed out of everything is that they are catching the ball much better than we were at this time last year, especially with our young players. We have a veteran group of receivers, which is very fortunate. Dominique Thompson is a guy who has the least amount of experience among our veterans, but is playing like a veteran. That is a great sign as well. I could go on and on. I just think we brought in a really good group of young players to compete.”

While that group is clearly one of the strengths of the team, there is an interesting battle developing for the sixth receiver slot. It appears Torry Holt, Isaac Bruce, Drew Bennett, Dante Hall and Dane Looker are safe, but that would leave one spot for competition.

Marques Hagans, Derek Stanley and Thompson are the favorites for the job, but it could come down to who performs best in the preseason.

RAM BITS: The team made a roster move late Tuesday afteernoon, releasing center Donovan Raiola and signing offensive lineman Dave Pearson...Chris Draft was back on the field Tuesday, but not in the capacity many had hoped for…Draft was wearing his jersey, but no pads and hasn’t yet returned to practice. Linehan said he expects Draft to return to the practice field as early as the end of the week…tight end Joe Klopfenstein is still recovering from a hamstring injury but should be good to go by the weekend…Linebacker Tim McGarigle is also battling a hamstring injury, one deemed more serious than Klopfenstein’s…McGarigle should be back by early next week, according to Linehan…left tackle Orlando Pace participated sparingly in Tuesday’s practice, but Linehan said it was simply a product of his idea to allow certain veterans time to rest..Pace returned Tuesday night…the battle for the center position is starting to take shape, but Linehan says there is no leader in the clubhouse and the preseason will go a long way to determining who wins the job…Tye Hill continues to make a good impression and is taking an active leadership role…former Pro Bowl tight end Eric Green is helping the Rams in camp as part of the NFL’s coaching intern program.

Country is offline Registered User

The Rams have three solid starters on the OL that are 25 and under. That is going to provide them with a bad ass OL for the next couple of years. I like Setterstrom he is providing another mauler inside, but he is a little more level headed then Cogs. If Setterstrom can improve his pass blocking then he will be a very good starter.

bigredman is offline Registered User

I have poopooed this offensive line for a couple of years now, and I have to say, I like what I see and the direction the Rams are going with this group. We'll see. Have to see it in real game action during regular season, but I won't be as cynical as in the past.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

AlphaRam is offline Registered User

Mark Setterstrom is taking nothing for granted. In fact, he doesn't even take for granted that he will make the team. I told his wife that not only will he make the team, I expect him to be the starter at LG. he just needs to keep doing what he was doing at the end of last year.

I just sent him a custom figure two weeks ago from his All-American senior year at Minnesota. I consider it an honor to make figures for guys like Mark that are humble, yet give it their all and do well.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]