RamWraith is offline Registered User

Setterstrom Set for Center

Wednesday, March 26, 2008

By Nick Wagoner
    Senior Writer

When the Rams signed guard Jacob Bell to a lucrative contract and installed him at left guard early in free agency, it would have been easy for incumbent Mark Setterstrom to become irritated.

After all, Setterstrom had finished the 2006 season as the starter at the position and solidified that spot early in 2007. But when Setterstrom suffered a torn anterior cruciate ligament against Tampa Bay that ended his season after just three games.

The affable Setterstrom doesn’t let little things like multi-million dollar contracts bother him, though and could now be set to head to center stage on the offensive line.

“I know they wanted to help upgrade the offensive line any way they could and they brought in Jacob and he happens to play left guard,” Setterstrom said. “Like I said, I just want to get on the field any way I can. I know it’s a business and I have been lucky to play the same position I have for a couple of years already.”

Soon after signing Bell, the Rams coaching staff spoke with Setterstrom about the possibility of sliding to center. Little did they know, he was one step ahead of them. Before the Rams ever had Bell put pen to paper on a contract, Setterstrom had asked for a football from the equipment staff to take with him to his home in Minnesota.

While Setterstrom is no clairvoyant, he does believe in the old adage of the more you can do the more valuable you are.

“I did that just before they signed another player because I thought it would be a good thing to have so I could work on snapping that way in case I had to slide over to center anytime this year,” Setterstrom said.

As the Rams opened the offseason conditioning program on Tuesday, that slide appears to be coming sooner than later.

In addition to his rehabilitation from October surgery on the torn ACL, Setterstrom has been working on his snapping from the center spot with former teammates at the University of Minnesota.

One area of concentration has been his shotgun snaps from center, an area that can often be as difficult as anything in the transition to center for a lineman. Setterstrom estimates he worked on that three days a week for most of the winter and already feels comfortable in that regard.

Of course, none of that will matter if he doesn’t make a full recovery from the knee surgery. Setterstrom says he is right on schedule for that and will be easing his way into the conditioning program that began Tuesday.

“It’s doing really well,” Setterstrom said. “I am out there and doing most of the drills and taking time to make sure it’s completely healed but I really haven’t had any issues with that at all.”

The next and perhaps biggest step for Setterstrom will come in the form of learning the offense and techniques. A big part of playing center is making the line calls, something Setterstrom says he has always tried to do mentally even from the guard position.

With new offensive coordinator Al Saunders installing a new system, Setterstrom will be on the same page as any other center, including top competition Brett Romberg when it comes to learning the system.

“I am excited about that opportunity,” Setterstrom said. “I like to dig into the X’s and O’s and figure out our system and make the calls. The last couple of years I have always tried to be on the same page and you are always thinking in your head what the call is going to be anyway. You don’t just always just assume the center will be perfect.”

Nobody knows that better than one of Setterstrom’s closest friends on the team, fellow lineman Richie Incognito. Incognito made the move from guard to center in the 2006 season and performed reasonably well aside from some miscues on shotgun snaps.

Incognito started 12 games at center that season and is back at right guard as it stands. But an excited Incognito says he is a firm believer in what Setterstrom brings to the table and how he will compete with Romberg heading into training camp.

“It’s a big challenge,” Incognito said. “You get a comfort level at a position…With Setterstrom, I am confident in his ability to play well, it’s just about him building that comfort in there and playing at a high level through OTAs and mini camp.”

The Rams investigated bringing in a veteran center through free agency, kicking the tires on the likes of Casey Wiegmann and Justin Hartwig, but ultimately decided they have as good or better options with more upside already on the roster.

Clearly, hopes are high and by all accounts it appears the spotlight will on the center position once again in this year’s training camp.

“The competition at center makes both players better,” Incognito said. “Romberg and Andy (McCollum) went through it last year and it made both of them better. Hopefully Romberg and Setterstrom make each other better. Then the better of the two will be on the field with a quality backup behind them.”

AlphaRam is offline Registered User

Re: Setterstrom Set for Center

In a way, this sucks as I am currently making figures for both guys right now.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

bruce4life is offline Registered User

i got money for settersom to win the job.... linehan has a hard on for him

Mooselini is offline Registered User

I too do believe Setterstrom will win the job. So now, I'm not sure if the Rams will go after Jake Long at all. Unless they feel like making Barron the back up.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Hmm, let's have a look here....

Pace - Bell - Setterstrom - Incognito - Barron

.....I could live with that.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

39thebeast is offline Registered User

What happens if we take Chris Long

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by 39thebeast View Post
    What happens if we take Chris Long
    Taking Chris Long is not going to have any effect on our O-line...??? Unless I'm missing something?:x

Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by laram0 View Post
    Taking Chris Long is not going to have any effect on our O-line...??? Unless I'm missing something?:x
    We're drafting him to play Tight End...Duh.

live4ramin is offline Registered User

Where's the quality depth at OT? We still need Long or >.
    "The horror"

TekeRam is offline Registered User

Stussie's old but wants to come back. If we draft an OT in the third round, he'll have a few years to get primed to start. there's your backup. I also have voiced my favor of bringing in Dolphins former starting RT, LJ Shelton.

RealRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    Hmm, let's have a look here....

Pace - Bell - Setterstrom - Incognito - Barron

.....I could live with that.

Would this be the 2nd string lineup? I believe Romberg is the one 'SET' for starting center... At least that's what I was looking forward to and now that Setterstrom is training for center, he'd be there as depth (possibly along with Fry). I suppose Setterstrom's forté remains at guard.

With new offensive coordinator Al Saunders installing a new system, Setterstrom will be on the same page as any other center, including top competition Brett Romberg when it comes to learning the system. -- N. Wagoner
    :r We'll soon see.

LinkBacks (?)