• 2 Post By RAMFANRAIDERHATER
  • 1 Post By sosa39rams

Thread: Several Banged-Up Rams Ready To Return

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Several Banged-Up Rams Ready To Return

Several banged-up Rams ready to return

By BILL COATS
    Sunday, August 14, 2011

Several players who have missed time recently should return to St. Louis Rams practice this week, at least on a limited basis. That group includes cornerback Ron Bartell(thigh), defensive tackle Jermelle Cudjo (back), defensive end James Hall (hip), tight end Michael Hoomanawanui (concussion), linebacker James Laurinaitis (chest), wide receiverGreg Salas (hamstring) and defensive endEugene Sims (concussion).

Also, safety Quintin Mikell, who injured his elbow in Saturday night;s 33-10 win over the Colts, didn't even need treatment Sunday and should be on the field today.

Wide receivers Donnie Avery (knee) and Mike Sims-Walker (groin) haven't been cleared to practice.

<><><>

The Rams didn't give up a sack vs. Indianapolis. "It's always important and always encouraging when you protect the quarterback the way our offensive line did," coach Steve Spagnuolo said. "That first group of offensive linemen I thought did a nice job."

That unit includes right guard Harvey Dahl, a free-agent signee. "I think it was a good start, a good place to build from," Dahl said.

<><><>

The Rams were whistled for just two penalties: pass interference against linebacker Chris Chamberlain and an illegal block in the back by defensive end Damario Ambrose on a punt return.

"I hope it doesn't mean the officials were trying to get home early," quipped Spagnuolo, who was especially pleased that the Rams incurred no pre-snap penalties.

"We've been preaching it," he said. "Of course, you preach it every year; every coach does, every team does. But it's nice when it transfers on the field. It's hard to win games when you're going backward."

<><><>

The Rams ran 72 plays to just 49 for the Colts, and had a time-of-possession edge of about 12Ĺ minutes.

<><><>

Twenty-three players had at least one tackle for the Rams.

RAMFANRAIDERHATER is online now Registered User

Re: Several Banged-Up Rams Ready To Return

I'm anxious to see Salas in a game. I believe he'll be one of the six WR's but he needs to get on the field. As far as Bartell and JL, I don't care if they rush back to play, because the job will be there when they're ready. I'd rather they get health (completely) before going out. Let the guys on the bubble play the preseason.

IMHO, if Avery doesn't get back to the field by game three, I cut him. Enough is enough. Guy is made of glass. I also don't think Alexander is a keeper. Too much risk. It's not a question of "if" his knees go, it's more like "when". It's sad because he's got a world of talent, but football has not been kind to Danario.
    RealRam and ramsplaya16 like this.
    Faithful Rams fan since 1968

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RAMFANRAIDERHATER View Post
    I'm anxious to see Salas in a game. I believe he'll be one of the six WR's but he needs to get on the field. As far as Bartell and JL, I don't care if they rush back to play, because the job will be there when they're ready. I'd rather they get health (completely) before going out. Let the guys on the bubble play the preseason.

IMHO, if Avery doesn't get back to the field by game three, I cut him. Enough is enough. Guy is made of glass. I also don't think Alexander is a keeper. Too much risk. It's not a question of "if" his knees go, it's more like "when". It's sad because he's got a world of talent, but football has not been kind to Danario.
    I wouldn't be opposed to letting Alexander go only if he retired. I dont want to see him in another uniform. Retiring would probably be smart with his health issues.

I dont want to see Avery go either, but I'll take any healthy WR we got over him. Its sad to see all this talent go to waste on IR.

GROUND DOG 39 is offline Registered User

IF Salas can play well, then hopefully we can move on without Avery.? But who have the Rams on the team, other than Alexander, who has that good speed. This is what worrie's me.?

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

I also don't think Alexander is a keeper. Too much risk. It's not a question of "if" his knees go, it's more like "when". It's sad because he's got a world of talent, but football has not been kind to Danario.
    Alexander is a tough call. The Rams have stuck with him this far and I don't see them letting him go unless he fails a physical or falls flat on the field. IMO he's got too much upside and potential talent-wise to give up on just yet. It'll be interesting to see what happens.

GROUND DOG 39 is offline Registered User

Alexander only goes if he has another major knee injury, if that knee holds up we should be good to go. DX hasnt got the best hands in the world, but makes up for it with his size and athletism. Remember McD offense in Denver, he threw the ball quite a lot deep to B.Lloyd, so this conservative offense the Rams used versus Indy, will not be what we'll see on opening day. Hopefully anyway.? But you can see the blueprint of a Spags led team, taking shape more this season.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

IMHO, if Avery doesn't get back to the field by game three, I cut him. Enough is enough. Guy is made of glass.
    I've seen this sentiment expressed before, and I'm not sure where it comes from. Before Avery blew out his knee, he played in 31/32 games in his first two seasons (28 starts). Yes, he's had bumps and bruises, but he's been on the field.

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    I've seen this sentiment expressed before, and I'm not sure where it comes from. Before Avery blew out his knee, he played in 31/32 games in his first two seasons (28 starts). Yes, he's had bumps and bruises, but he's been on the field.
    You're 100% correct here, but if you're playing and you're ineffective, whats the point? He is constantly injured, and yeah he battles through it but he doesn't perform. Its just as bad as missing a game.
    ManofGod likes this.

Fettmaster is offline Registered User

Freakin' Avery. I thought it was his hammie that was bothering him, now its his knee too?

I've always wanted this kid to succeed, I just have a bad feeling he won't stay a Ram this year.

LA Rammer is offline Registered User

We need Avery out there. I get pissed when he's out. I really need to see Avery go deep and Bradford and he make a love connection. Avery has the potential of being Hakim. I say give him this year and if he breaks again... "Dump the kid harry!"
    LA RAMMER

It's Jim not Chris
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HNgqQVHI_8

RealRam is offline Registered User

No doubt Avery's time has come. Next week, next two weeks, I suppose are his "in-or-out" verdict from the coaches, all because of his physical fortitude.

It will be tough for Avery - he's got a few WR's coming strong at his heels. And, yes, Salas may well be one of 'em.

Even if unproven.