Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Shaky Chandler to get another start ahead of injured Bulger

Shaky Chandler to get another start ahead of injured Bulger
    R.B. FALLSTROM
    Associated Press

ST. LOUIS - Marc Bulger can't get healthy fast enough for the St. Louis Rams.

Bulger, who missed Sunday's 20-7 loss to the Panthers with a sprained shoulder, resumed light throwing on Monday, but the team is aiming for him to return to the lineup next week against the Eagles.

"He's a little sore, but who knows?" Martz said Monday. "We may have him, but I'm not going to count on it."

That means another week with 39-year-old backup Chris Chandler, whose first start of the season was forgettable: a career-worst six interceptions. Chandler has played for seven teams, and Martz said at times it appeared his quarterback was running another offense.

At one point in the second half, the frustrated coach showed his lack of trust in Chandler by calling nine straight runs for third-string running back Arlen Harris.

"He got a little rattled," Martz said. "He's a guy that's been in a lot of systems and had a lot of different coaching, and when you get under pressure like that sometimes you revert back to another system or how you were doing things in the past.

"He's just devastated."

The alternatives are not very enticing for the Rams (6-7). The backups are rookie Jeff Smoker, who's still learning the offense, and Jamie Martin, who's not physically ready after being out of the NFL since October 2003 before signing last week.

So Martz knows better than to beat down Chandler. He blamed himself for not preparing Chandler better, and he blamed poor pass protection for getting Chandler off to a shaky start that became the shakiest of games - he was only one off the franchise record for interceptions.

"Chris is our starter," Martz said. "I can help him a lot more and we need to help him up front."

Martz said fill-in right tackle Blaine Saipaia, who made his second career start, was the best of the bunch on an offensive line that features five-time Pro Bowl left tackle Orlando Pace and guard Adam Timmerman (two Pro Bowls).

"I think he played better than the rest of them and you can draw your own conclusions about the rest of it," Martz said. "I'm embarrassed about it, to be honest with you.

"We're going to look very hard at this."

Saipaia did a good job against Julius Peppers. He had the best game of the three reserves playing in high-profile spots against the Panthers. The tailback was third-stringer Harris, who had 19 carries for 62 yards in his first real action of the season because both Steven Jackson and Marshall Faulk were sidelined with bruised knees.

Faulk, who has missed two games, told Martz he'd like to be available on a limited basis this Sunday at Arizona. But Martz said he'd prefer to hold him out another week.

Jackson had 50 ccs of fluid drained from his right knee on Sunday and felt much better on Monday.

"He was on the treadmill today running full speed, and that's encouraging to me," Martz said. "I think he's still pretty sore. Who knows?"

Despite losing five of seven, the Rams are only one game behind the Seahawks in the NFC West with three games to go, plus they have the tiebreaker. So Martz will push on.

"I don't know any other way," Martz said. "Fix what's broken and move on, and have a short memory, and not let yourself get beat down emotionally where you can't pick yourself up and accept it, and say it's over and all that garbage that happens to bad teams.

"You've got to keep fighting and compete and do the best you can."

talkstoangels61 is offline Registered User

Re: Shaky Chandler to get another start ahead of injured Bulger

Well,i hope this time that if Chris continues to struggle that MM will not hesitate to pull him and put in Smoker!..............Maybe MMis trying to get fired?

Quote Originally Posted by talkstoangels61
    Maybe MMis trying to get fired?
    *scratches head* Yeah, maybe.... :confused:

lakerams Guest

is Martz trying to get Pace to leave after this season? saying Blaine played the best is a slap in the face to Pace. OUCH!!!!!!!!!

Maybe it's another one of Martz's motivational tactics.

Or maybe he is telling the plain truth, we have no other options ................

majorram is offline Registered User

Maybe it will encourage Pace to play upto his All-Pro status!!!!!!!

steve :ramlogo:

moklerman is offline Registered User

God, I hope Bulger comes back. I'm in the playoffs for my fantasy league. Chandler, who I stupidly took a chance on, almost cost me a shot at the playoffs. Hell, Warner would have got me more points. Bulger, dinged up, against Arizona is a better option than anything on the waiver wire.

adarian_too is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by NickSeiler
    ... Chandler to get another start ...
    This is one headline I can do without.

RAMMAN68 is offline Registered User

Question Re: Shaky Chandler to get another start ahead of injured Bulger

"He got a little rattled," Martz said. "He's a guy that's been in a lot of systems and had a lot of different coaching, and when you get under pressure like that sometimes you revert back to another system or how you were doing things in the past.

Maybe you should have thought of this before you signed him.

"Chris is our starter," Martz said. "I can help him a lot more and we need to help him up front."

I pray that he is prepared on Sunday.

Faulk, who has missed two games, told Martz he'd like to be available on a limited basis this Sunday at Arizona. But Martz said he'd prefer to hold him out another week.

Better than the alterative.

Jackson had 50 ccs of fluid drained from his right knee on Sunday and felt much better on Monday.

Hope he's ready to play Sunday.

Man; If they drop this one I will be one PORF. They already spoiled an otherwise fun Saint Bash. Two losses while in attendance in one season is unacceptable!
    JUST WIN ONE FOR THE FANS

"HIT HARD, HIT FAST, AND HIT OFTEN"
    Adm. William "Bull" Halsey

Tailgage-Mayor is offline Registered User

Arizona is terrible against the run, so if Jackson is healthy that should be the key. He was running on a treadmill yesterday, so that’s at least a good sign. Whoever is at QB, Chandler, Smoker, Martin, or an injured Bluger needs to play within himself and simply “not lose the game”. Short high percentage passes and no interceptions. Rely on Jackson and the run!

Personally I’d rather see Smoker than Chandler. Historically Chandler has been known for injuries, getting rattled, happy feet, and a strong but inaccurate arm. It appears old age didn’t cure any of this. Smoker can’t be any worse than Chandler!

Yodude is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by lakerams
    is Martz trying to get Pace to leave after this season? saying Blaine played the best is a slap in the face to Pace. OUCH!!!!!!!!!
    Unless he actually did play better...in which case it's calling a spade a spade.
    Clannie Nominee for ClanRam's Thickest Poster