NJ Ramsfan1 is online now Registered User

Shameless name-dropping

Last year, I had the opportunity to meet and socialize with Billy Devaney through a mutual friend at the Rams/Jets pre-season game. Billy is from the Jersey Shore, as I am, and his two brothers, Sean and Dennis are high school basketball coaches in the area. Since I am a high school teacher and coach baseball, we've been in some similar circles, and I've talked with both of them numerous times. I sat in the luxury suite with them last year.

On Friday, I went to a wedding and Sean Devaney was there. He is dating the cousin of the groom. I spoke to Sean for a good 20 minutes. He said he had just spoken to Billy a few hours earlier. Among the highlights from Billy:

*Was frustrated to be in Atlanta (supplemental draft) and not really be doing anything, as the Rams chose not to be active in this phase of the season.

*Said the Rams will be good in two years- he just hopes he's around to see it. Bradford needs to get settled, & the Rams must get another impact player or two on both offense and defense. Billy knows that improvement must be shown this year- fan expectations of 5 or 6 wins are NOT unreasonable- and that he and Spagnuolo will be judged as all coaches/gm's are: on winning football games.

*Atmosphere around the park is excellent. The culture has changed there and underachievers (Barron) & problems (Incognito) are being weeded out. We knew this.

*Is dumbfounded by fans who are upset at our wide receiver situation and thinks the fact we have no true #1 receiver is not a big deal. He feels the guys on the roster -Robinson, Gibson, et. al. can all be productive and contribute heavily. Must stay healthy!!

*Rams had too many other needs to address than to worry about a back up for Steven Jackson high in the draft.

*Ownership situation still not resolved, but it seems like a pretty good bet that Stan Kroenke will orchestrate a successful way to legally circumvent the cross-ownership rules and become majority owner of the Rams.

Take it for what it's worth. Not a lot of earth shattering news here, but interesting to talk to the brother of the GM. Will be going to Tampa in Oct. to see the Rams play. Sean told me to contact him before I go to get down on the sideline for pre-game. Good stuff.

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Re: Shameless name-dropping

Now I'm really jealous . Good Job!

Varg6 is offline Registered User

NJ, thanks for the intel. It's always interesting to hear stuff like this. What High Schools do they coach at?

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

NJ Ramsfan1 is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Varg6 View Post
    NJ, thanks for the intel. It's always interesting to hear stuff like this. What High Schools do they coach at?

Dennis coaches at St. Rose in Belmar, and Sean is at Holmdel high school.

Quote Originally Posted by NJ Ramsfan1 View Post
    Dennis coaches at St. Rose in Belmar, and Sean is at Holmdel high school.
    I'm literally 2 minutes from St. Rose. Small world.

Off topic: Ever go to Don's Pizza King? It's amazing lol I go there with my family every week, it's become a tradition

Dwight Frye is offline Registered User

Wow. At first glance I thought that said Don King's pizza. Little dyslexia maybe?

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Frye View Post
    Wow. At first glance I thought that said Don King's pizza. Little dyslexia maybe?
    Don King's pizza............the pizzeria where the crust AND the hair are self-rising.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Bralidore(RAMMODE) is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    Don King's pizza............the pizzeria where the crust AND the hair are self-rising.
    "Only in the pizzeria!"

Thanks guys lol

lordwhttgr is offline Registered User
    I live in Danville Illinois, I work all over the USA.

ok, I have been dying to tell you all about the picture I am now using as my avatar. It just so happens that I went to north korea for the day and got to roam around freely (with a few instructions like dont make obscene gestures at the north Koreans or wear offensive clothing or even talk to them). I was on my best behavior, really I was. I was a little perturbed that I could not flash all my combat patches but oh well. Life goes on.

Here is how it went down. I was walking around in north korea, with my guard detail in Pan Mun Jom, Joint Security Area, when all of a sudden The FSRA starts screaming and walking for the door. I turn around to see this character (the boy in the window) walking with a guard right up to the window to stare right in my face. Im like, how cool is this. There we were standing practically toe to toe with nothing more than a single pane of window between us. His guard reached down and unsnapped the holster on his side arm and did his best to make me flinch. People this man did all he could to intimidate me for as long as he could. He failed miserably. So to add insult to injury, I turn to the still scared FSRA and said Hay, can you snap a quick picture of me and duffus for the gang on CLANRAM. She did and the rest is history. He was so mad that we turned his little Im so tuff moment into a photo shoot that he stomped off in a huff. It was so cool in fact that just three days ago the Honorable Hillary Clinton went up there and had her picture taken with him. Ill scan the picture of Honorable Hillary Clinton with Duffus and send it to anyone that wants one.

GO RAMS, BEAT CARDS

P.s. should have wore my Rams Jacket, but you know hind sight
    Last edited by lordwhttgr; -07-22-2010 at 09:40 AM.

shower beers is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by NJ Ramsfan1 View Post

*Rams had too many other needs to address than to worry about a back up for Steven Jackson high in the draft.
    I think this is an important one to consider again. He's absolutely right. Steven Jackson is one of a small, small handful of luxuries we have of being set at a position. Sure a back up is important, but getting starters at other important positions has to be equally, if not more important at this point. We just gutted our entire roster, and it takes time to get those positions accounted for again.

We could have a fresher Steven Jackson, but be getting torched in pass defense. Or a fresher Steven Jackson, and having Sam Bradford slammed to the turf 4-5 times a game. Or even a fresher Steven Jackson who has nowhere to run all day.

Football is truly the ultimate team sport, and each position being accounted for is meaning a little less pressure being taken off his back.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by shower beers View Post
    I think this is an important one to consider again. He's absolutely right. Steven Jackson is one of a small, small handful of luxuries we have of being set at a position. Sure a back up is important, but getting starters at other important positions has to be equally, if not more important at this point. We just gutted our entire roster, and it takes time to get those positions accounted for again.

We could have a fresher Steven Jackson, but be getting torched in pass defense. Or a fresher Steven Jackson, and having Sam Bradford slammed to the turf 4-5 times a game. Or even a fresher Steven Jackson who has nowhere to run all day.

Football is truly the ultimate team sport, and each position being accounted for is meaning a little less pressure being taken off his back.
    The lack of a quality back-up is a big issue for me. I'm not saying we should have used a high draft pick to improve the position but what have we done?!

S_Q_U_A_T!

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by laram0 View Post
    The lack of a quality back-up is a big issue for me. I'm not saying we should have used a high draft pick to improve the position but what have we done?!

S_Q_U_A_T!
    Yes BUT! .. We are first in line to grab waived players. There will be guys to choose from guaranteed. I'm sure Billy and Spags already have a short list, but we'll never find out who's on it - at least not until we pick up a player or two. There is alot to be said for having the right of first refusal. I'd imagine we'll have some new faces in the backfield before September rolls around ..