robot is offline Registered User

Shanahan: Bradford "comes around once every 10 years."

BY SAMUEL CHAMBERLAIN * September 22, 2010 - 06:00 PM

Mike Shanahan is usually a master of the careful quote, heavy on words like "evaluate" (as in, "I'm going to get a chance to evaluate him here"), "competition" (most often used in training camp, i.e. "this is a competition"), and "scenarios" (as in, "There are a lot of things and scenarios").

So it was very surprising to hear his thoughts after Wednesday's practice on Rams quarterback Sam Bradford, who's played all of two NFL games.

"I've been watching him a lot through his collegiate career and in preseason games he went pretty good," the Redskins coach said. "He's very impressive. He's a guy that comes around once every 10 years, in my opinion. He's that type of quarterback."
    "That's a huge compliment," Bradford said via conference call when told of Shanahan's remarks. "That's the kind of thing that makes you want to work harder."

Bradford appears to be settling into the role of starting quarterback just fine, if his performance with the media is any guide. "I felt a lot more confident [in week 2 against Oakland] as far as the speed of the game was concerned," he said.

"He kind of climbed that learning curve very methodically, but he was always climbing," said Rams coach Steve Spagnolo via conference call. "It was just evident to us that by the time we got to the third, fourth preseason game that the guys were kind of rallying behind him. He was effective with what he was doing and it didn't seem like the game was too big for him."

Bradford does have some familiarity with the Redskins organization, as he revealed on the call that he had dined with a group that included Redskins owner Daniel Snyder when Bradford visited with the Redskins organization before the draft. "It was actually a lot of fun," Bradford said of the dinner. "I got to listen to Coach Shanahan talk football. I definitely had a lot more fun at that dinner than I originally anticipated."
    Last edited by robot; -09-23-2010 at 12:10 AM.

berg8309 is offline Registered User

Re: Shanahan: Bradford "comes around once every 10 years."

Quote Originally Posted by robot View Post
    Bradford said of the dinner. "I got to listen to Coach Shanahan talk football. I definitely had a lot more fun at that dinner than I originally anticipated."
    Ouch, in a way. Guess he expected it to suck.

LA Rammer is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by robot View Post
    "That's a huge compliment," Bradford said via conference call when told of Shanahan's remarks. "That's the kind of thing that makes you want to work harder."
    I like Bradford's attitude. That shows that every time he is complimented he is going to try to exceed that performance. He is young and has outstanding potential. Brace yourself we are looking at a future hall of famer!
    LA RAMMER

It's Jim not Chris
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HNgqQVHI_8

DistantRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by LA Rammer View Post
    ..... we are looking at a future hall of famer!
    Indeed we are- if we fix the o-line and improve the WR corps. Sam can't do it all on his own.